Preference: Front Squat or Back Squat

I preffer back squats, because when I do them I feel in my lower back, glutes, and hammies, and front squats I only feel in the quads.

If I do fronts, though, it [u][b]HAS[/u][/b] to be clean grip. It’s the only way to go, really.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
I hate front squats.

However, I’m working around an injury at the moment which forced me to front squat for many weeks with no back squatting. I also did GHR.

When I returned to back squat it had jumped 45lbs, no shit.[/quote]

I’m doing only front squats now for the same reason, working through an injury. I was told that my back squat numbers would most likely improve as well.

I’m really beginning to enjoy the front squats.

i need to start doing ronts w/ clean grip. i cant do that i dream of genie shit.

I rely on front squats now because I find they put far less stress on the erectors and less flexion on the spine. I once got my back squat up to an impressive number. I think I am built for squatting but not squatting REALLY big; just causes too much problems for me.

And I have tried it all:
Worked the shit out of my glutes and hams with glute activation drills, GHRs, leg curls, pullthroughs, and lunges and stretching hip flexors. Squat went up but encountered problems again as I got stronger.

Ever since I switched to front squats I have not had problems. Plus my abs became much stronger and harder from this exercise.

Front squats cause less flexion on the spine and allow for a more upright posture. My upper erectors and mid traps just get all jammed up now from back squats.

I always include a single leg exercise in my routine though, to hit the glutes really hard still.

The same thing goes for deads as discussed above. This is another great exercise that I think isn’t that great for all. I used to go really heavy on them and took the appropriate measures as stated above. Now I rely more on sumo deads and rack deadlifts due to the flexion issue and I have no problems now.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I rely on front squats now because I find they put far less stress on the erectors and less flexion on the spine. I once got my back squat up to an impressive number. I think I am built for squatting but not squatting REALLY big; just causes too much problems for me.

And I have tried it all:
Worked the shit out of my glutes and hams with glute activation drills, GHRs, leg curls, pullthroughs, and lunges and stretching hip flexors. Squat went up but encountered problems again as I got stronger.

Ever since I switched to front squats I have not had problems. Plus my abs became much stronger and harder from this exercise.

Front squats cause less flexion on the spine and allow for a more upright posture. My upper erectors and mid traps just get all jammed up now from back squats.

I always include a single leg exercise in my routine though, to hit the glutes really hard still.

The same thing goes for deads as discussed above. This is another great exercise that I think isn’t that great for all. I used to go really heavy on them and took the appropriate measures as stated above. Now I rely more on sumo deads and rack deadlifts due to the flexion issue and I have no problems now. [/quote]

There shouldnt be any flexion of the spine with either type. There is less torque on the back with a front squat because the torso is more vertical.

I feel like some people are using front squats because of this exact reason, although if you think about it, they really arent fixing the problem, just doing an exercise with which the problem (spinal flexion) is much easier to control.

The real way to do it would be to improve glute, hamstring and hip flexor mobility to the point where there is no spinal flexion with either front or back squat, you will also be lifting more weight because the more powerful hip extensors will be in a better position to contribute to the movement.

I think I am the only person on my football team that likes front squats. Why? For all the same reasons as mentioned above. Plus, I have much better form on front squats. Also, as a d-lineman, I really need to be able to push weight that is out in front of me.

And is it just me, or does doing front squats just seem more fun?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Neospartan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

X2. I’m a taller dude and I don’t have the hip flexibility to go deep with the bar on my back, if I do I end up doing some sort of good morning/squat in the hole that isn’t very comfortable.

How do u usually back squat?

It may be because your trying to do an ATG back squat while trying to make the movement similar to a box squat (that is sitting back, not allowing your knees to get past your toes, etc).

I don’t get too bent out of shape if my knees go past my toes. You might be onto to something though as I do still regularly box squat with bar on my back.

I seem to be able to go deeper with a narrow stance, at least my form is better and my hips don’t end up higher than my head!

[/quote]

Well the movements of a box squats and ATG back squats are different.

Next time test this with an empty bar:
-Try to go ATG while barely moving your shins.
-Then just focus on keeping your chest up (squeeze your scapulas together) and let yourself go down ATG. Don’t thinkg about sitting back.

You will notice the difference. Your hips don’t go back as much and your upper body doesn’t lean forward much neither.

(And just in case: If you have 1RM box squat don’t go ATG with it, you will get pinned down pretty bad)

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
I think I am the only person on my football team that likes front squats. Why? For all the same reasons as mentioned above. Plus, I have much better form on front squats. Also, as a d-lineman, I really need to be able to push weight that is out in front of me.

And is it just me, or does doing front squats just seem more fun?[/quote]

haha it looks cooler than back squats if anything

I prefer back squats. My quads haven’t suffered any.

When I need more sweep and teardrop, I’ll do some front squatting, but for now back squats are fine.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

haha it looks cooler than back squats if anything [/quote]

I did them at my rec center one time, and I got a load of stares. It was fun though.

Maybe I’m odd…? I find spinal flexion much harder to control with the Front Squat. I thought that was half the point of doing them.

In fact, I go ATG with low-bar back squat and arched back easily, but I always go a little shallow on front squats to avoid going into flexion.

Front squats + bands + high reps, early in the morning = honourable death.

How do you guys like to hold the bar for front squats? I recently switched to front squats to try them out, and I held the bar with my wrists bent back. I hate this and I almost tweaked something in my right hand.

Maybe I should get that Sting Ray device…

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
How do you guys like to hold the bar for front squats? I recently switched to front squats to try them out, and I held the bar with my wrists bent back. I hate this and I almost tweaked something in my right hand.

Maybe I should get that Sting Ray device…[/quote]

I’m assuming you mean the clean grip. It requires a lot of wrist flexibility and takes some getting used to. When I first started to front squat, I started with a clean grip and it really used to stretch my wrists and hands out. You’ll get used to it if you stick to it.

I actually ended up switching to a standard cross-armed bodybuilding grip after a while. The cross-armed grip was more comfortable for me, especially as I started to handle more weight.

I have a Sting Ray and I have to say that I never liked it. However, I know lots of other people that love it, so it just comes down to comfort and personal preference there.

When I was first starting out training, I only did back squats, and although I got up to pretty respectable weights (550), my legs didn’t have the ‘shape’ that they do now, doing only front squats. I’m certain though that for overall mass, not simply localized to the quads, back squats are an excellent movement.

However, after a few lower back injuries, and a lot more focus on my hams (which I always train 1st), the front are working very well for me these days.

S

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

I did them at my rec center one time, and I got a load of stares. It was fun though.[/quote]

try the olympic overhead squat, now THAT’ll get some stares

I vote for back squats. Too hard to get enough weight on the bar in the front position. Back squats squeeze the grow juice right out of me. Ill still do fronts for a quad focus but even then I would choose sissy squats over the front squats for that purpose.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

I did them at my rec center one time, and I got a load of stares. It was fun though.

try the olympic overhead squat, now THAT’ll get some stares[/quote]

I have at school. That was great.

yeah i think ill do neither one and just stick with leg presses. i cant grasp the point in doing a front squat when i have to stop because of my wrists and not my quads.

My body seems to be built pretty well for Back Squats so I stick with them most of the time. I’ll definitely do some front squats for variation though.

I think it’s mostly an individual thing depending on your levers and flexibility.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
yeah i think ill do neither one and just stick with leg presses. i cant grasp the point in doing a front squat when i have to stop because of my wrists and not my quads.[/quote]

I think you should still incorporate them, your wrists would get used to them, and if you try the other way you won’t have any wrist problems (although people do complain about sore shoulder with the cross armed style).