T Nation

Preference: Front Squat or Back Squat

Which do you prefer and why? And why would you use one over the other?

Just fyi I use the front squat with arms crossed because I feel it more in my quads and i can do my deadlifts beforehand and not feel drained in my hamstrings for the squats.

I like front squats just because they are awesome. Same reason for back squats.

Front squats- When I want to isolate my quads.
Back squats- When I want to lift heavy weights and target my entire leg.

I’ve had issues with back squatting being I’m not overly tall at all at 6’3. However I prefer front squats to back squats. I feel more comfortable doing them and they hit my hamstrings good too.

If I do any kind of back squatting it’s 99% of the time going to be a box squat. This is just what I have found to work for me.

YMMV

I like the feel of the front squat better and I do them once a week on recovery day. I lift the back squat on mon and fri because I can lift more weight for more reps on it.

Front squats just seem to be better for all around upper and lower body stimulation, plus, peoples forms seem to be better doing them.

I hate front squats.

However, I’m working around an injury at the moment which forced me to front squat for many weeks with no back squatting. I also did GHR.

When I returned to back squat it had jumped 45lbs, no shit.

I prefer front squats. Always have. I front squat deeper, with better form and feel it more in my quads than compared to back squats. It just suits my body type better. I will still do back squats from time to time, but the majority of my leg work revolves around front squats.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Front squats just seem to be better for all around upper and lower body stimulation, plus, peoples forms seem to be better doing them. [/quote]

yep on both points!

I would also add that front squats demand greater flexibility and more “core” stability to keep the torso erect than back squats. It is not uncommon to have your lower abs sore after a day of heavy front squatting.

What are your front squat weights compared to your back squat? Mine is about 315 to 405 . . .

i have never maxed on front squat, but my back squat is 365.

Front squats. They just feel more badass. There is nothing quite like watching a vid of Big Ron doing front squats with 5 plates a side before I head for my squat workout. Too bad I don’t really feel them in my quads as much as back squats.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I prefer front squats. Always have. I front squat deeper, with better form and feel it more in my quads than compared to back squats. It just suits my body type better. I will still do back squats from time to time, but the majority of my leg work revolves around front squats.[/quote]

X2. I’m a taller dude and I don’t have the hip flexibility to go deep with the bar on my back, if I do I end up doing some sort of good morning/squat in the hole that isn’t very comfortable.

Front squats allow me to squat ATG with proper form and not destroy my lower back. Plus front squats hit my quads better, and I feel my abs work harder.

Both. Each has their own benefits for quad and hamstring strength, so why not be stronger in both lifts(pending you have no injury to the lower vertebrae that prevents you from doing a back squat)?

I do front squats at the end of my squat workout after doing my back squats. So I really use front squatting as more of an isolation movement, the way most people do extensions. I’ll also use them if my back is tired or sore from pulling or something.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

X2. I’m a taller dude and I don’t have the hip flexibility to go deep with the bar on my back, if I do I end up doing some sort of good morning/squat in the hole that isn’t very comfortable.

[/quote]

How do u usually back squat?

It may be because your trying to do an ATG back squat while trying to make the movement similar to a box squat (that is sitting back, not allowing your knees to get past your toes, etc).

[quote]Neospartan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

How do u usually back squat?

It may be because your trying to do an ATG back squat while trying to make the movement similar to a box squat (that is sitting back, not allowing your knees to get past your toes, etc).

[/quote]

I don’t get too bent out of shape if my knees go past my toes. You might be onto to something though as I do still regularly box squat with bar on my back.

I seem to be able to go deeper with a narrow stance, at least my form is better and my hips don’t end up higher than my head!

Used to do both, but I kept hurting my back doing back squats so now I only do front squats with arms crossed over eachother. Just feels more natural for me.

hmmm…i prefer clean grip. IT’S ON NOW!! =P

I think it can be a misconception at times to think front squat is better for taller people. I am 6’4" and I used to think I had better form with a front squat and that I could get deeper.

However, I think alot of this is just the nature of front squats, you have to use a weight with which you can keep your torso relatively vertical or you cant even do the exercise.

But I do agree that being able to hit a deep back squat while keeping your back flat/ pelvis from tilting too far posteriorly, requires only slightly more flexibility than an excellent front squat, during which the pelvis is held stable until the very bottom of the movement during which it might tilt slightly posterior.

Some good form front squats with hips locked…

Some not so good form with hips not locked, these guys would not have the flexibility to back squat well if their front squat looks like this…