Predictions For This Years WSMSS

For those of you that dont know it, WSM 06(Not IFSA) is taking place right now in Sanya, China. You can see up to the day news on ironmind.com. This year’s lineup is MUCH better than last years, which was weak on proven WSM talent.

Of course Marius P. is back and looking for a 4th, but it wont be so easy this year with a huge Phil Phister, Jeese Marunde, Arild Haugen(already took an event from Marius in the qualifications) Mark Felix, Ravis Visidis(sp), and Janne Vertinan all looking strong just to name a few.

The qualifying heats are as follows:

Group 1: Arild Haugen (Norway), Jessin Paulin (Canada), Don Pope (USA), Mariusz Pudzianowski (Poland), Mohammad Gharaei (Iran),

Group 2: Terry Hollands (UK), Jesse Marunde (USA), Dave Ostlund (USA), Raivis Vidzis (Latvia), TBD (China)

Group 3: Mark Felix (Grenada), Elbrus Nigmatullin (Russia), Phil Pfister (USA), Darren Sadler (UK), Janne Virtanen (Finland)

Group 4: Jarek Dymek (Poland), Boris Haraldsson (Iceland), Dominic Filiou (Canada), Tarmo Mitt (Estonia), Kevin Nee (USA)

Group 5: Magnus Samuelsson (Sweden), Josh Thigpen (USA), Slawomir Toczek (Poland), Sebastian Wenta (Poland), TBD (Norway).

Remember, two from each heat move on…

Right now

Group 1. Marius and Arild are in a demanding lead

1. Jesse is in the lead with a toss up to the last events of Ravis and Terry

2. Former WSM winner Janne V. seem back in shape and it will be a tough battle for #2 with Phister and Felix. This is by far the hardest heat.

3. Tarmo Mitt is in the lead with Dymeck and others VERY close.

4. Magnus is out with a bad back and Tozeck and Wetna? have the lead.

So, besides Marius winnig, which he will do unless he makes a huge mistake, who will finish out the top 5??

Yea i definetely think mariusz is the easy #1 pick, but i can see him losing. I’ve heard hes spent alot of this past year doing seminars and shows while many of the younger competitors might be a little more hungry. I think Marundes got a great shot, and if i remember correctly he embarrased mariusz in one or two events last year in the finals. I cant wait for it to be televised, or for it to come back to the U.S. in coming years so i can go to it.

Additionally, i really hope Kevin Nee makes it out of the group 4. Hes a great young talent and seems like a real decent guy and hard worker.

Thanks for the link. I was unaware that it was going on right now.

Personally, I’m pulling for Phister. Even though he claims to be drug free, I’ve been rooting for him ever since his infamous claim while performing the hercules hold several years back.

If you have anymore info or pics, post em up!

Monopoly

A lot of these guys “claim” to be drug-free. Certainly they aren’t telling everyone they use, that would be stupid.

I have heard that only Magnus is drug-free.

What happened to Savickas or the Ukranian who won a few years ago?

[quote]MachineAZ wrote:
A lot of these guys “claim” to be drug-free. Certainly they aren’t telling everyone they use, that would be stupid.

I have heard that only Magnus is drug-free.[/quote]

These supposed rumors seem bizarre to me. If he wanted to keep it a secret, and he was any good at keeping a secret, only he would truly know.

The qualifying round of the 2006 MET-Rx World?s Strongest Man finished today, with the top two competitors from each group going on to the finals.

Here are the 2006 MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man finalists:

Group 1: Mariusz Pudzianowksi and Don Pope
Group 2: Terry Hollands and Raivis Vidzis
Group 3: Phil Pfister and Mark Felix
Group 4: Tarmo Mitt and Jarek Dymek
Group 5: Sebastian Wenta and Slawomir Toczek
http://www.ironmind.com

i cant believe that jesse marunde didnt make the finals! what happened?? he was in first place for the first couple days, he mustve collapsed or got injured maybe?

[quote]Bootsie wrote:
i cant believe that jesse marunde didnt make the finals! what happened?? he was in first place for the first couple days, he mustve collapsed or got injured maybe?[/quote]

According to his site he has an injured hamstring. But he is staying on in China as an alternate.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
What happened to Savickas or the Ukranian who won a few years ago?[/quote]

They’re (basically) bound to compete in the IFSA World Championships.

This split is the stupidest thing possible for strongman.

Sorry to hear about Jesse, good that we have a few other Americans moving to the finals though.

-Dan

[quote]Bootsie wrote:
i cant believe that jesse marunde didnt make the finals! what happened?? he was in first place for the first couple days, he mustve collapsed or got injured maybe?[/quote]

It’s not that surprising.

He had a very tough group and injury or not, Marunde just isn’t as strong as some of the guys there.

[quote]MachineAZ wrote:
Bootsie wrote:
i cant believe that jesse marunde didnt make the finals! what happened?? he was in first place for the first couple days, he mustve collapsed or got injured maybe?

It’s not that surprising.

He had a very tough group and injury or not, Marunde just isn’t as strong as some of the guys there.[/quote]

perhaps. after his performance last year, you think he would at least make it into the finals. I didnt think terry hollands was all that impressive.

I think Mariusz will win again, he’s just too good at the WSM events to be beat. I think the real competition, as it has been, will be who comes in the next two places. If Pfister and Dymek can stay injury free I think they’ll finish in 2nd and 3rd place, though Dymek always seems to crash in one or two events to knock him down to 4th or 5th, so I’m not really that confident that he’ll get 3rd. I don’t know anything about the winners from Group 5 so I could be way off.

It’s all just a guess anyway.

Regards,

Sensless

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
What happened to Savickas or the Ukranian who won a few years ago?

They’re (basically) bound to compete in the IFSA World Championships.

This split is the stupidest thing possible for strongman.

Sorry to hear about Jesse, good that we have a few other Americans moving to the finals though.

-Dan[/quote]

The rivalry between Zavickas and Mariuz was classic. The Ukranian guy is a beast. They should be in the WSM.

just checked on ironmind, and pfister is only 1 1/2 points behind mariusz going into the final day with 2 events left. This should be agreat finish, god i wish it was televised.

Well, it feels SOOOOOO WELL to see 4 out of 10 finalists coming fro my country!!
:slight_smile:
in the past 2 in the final was really good, but 4 makes me want to show the mid finger to all these smart asses criticising “eastern” training methods

Phil Pfister is WSMAN for 2006!!!

[quote]FairDo wrote:
Well, it feels SOOOOOO WELL to see 4 out of 10 finalists coming fro my country!!
in the past 2 in the final was really good, but 4 makes me want to show the mid finger to all these smart asses criticising “eastern” training methods
[/quote]

Feels even better watching Marius get his ass kicked by the top level US strongman that wasnt there last year. I bet even more IFSA boys will come over now!

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
FairDo wrote:

Feels even better watching Marius get his ass kicked by the top level US strongman that wasnt there last year. I bet even more IFSA boys will come over now![/quote]

it so simple - let THE BEST win!! no more no less.

whoever they are and wherever they come from.

It still makes me happy that (despite the Mariusz’s loss in the very final) we managed to have 4 (FOUR) guys in the 10 men final!!!

Re: your previous chauvinistic comment in the other link - read my answer there.