Precontest Suffering

[quote]timmcbride00 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Tim I just can’t get over how peeled you are in that avatar![/quote]

Thanks, but I’d gladly give up some of the leanness for more size! [/quote]
The grass is always greener right

I’ve competed and dieted multiple times. In 2013, I won my states Natural Masters (over 40) contest. Here are my thoughts:

-You should start slow and give yourself time to diet the weight off, especially the first time. I’ve taken off 40 lbs in 10 weeks, but it wasn’t optimal
-Use cardio sparingly at first. If weight is coming off (1-2 lbs a week) you are good. If not, lower your calories slightly and increase the cardio
-Track your calories. If you don’t measure, you are guessing
-Only cut carbs at the end, or near the end of the diet prep. This is where the “suffering” comes in. But it should carb cutting should be done sparingly
-my coach said to me, “if you feel like crap, you will do well.” He was right. The more lethargic I felt near the end, in most cases, the better I did in the contest
-I also dieted HARD so I could enjoy a cheat meal once every few weeks. But you need to earn these
-Please don’t tell people how much crappy you feel. Keep it to yourself. Even to my wife, I would say I was just tired but never admit anything more. People don’t want to hear about it. Grind away but if you have kids, you owe it to them to be in a good mood and to your wife, not let the diet and training affect your mood and them.

Oh, and on the weekends, I drank diet coke as a treat!

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
Oh, and on the weekends, I drank diet coke as a treat!
[/quote]

Shit man that’s hard.

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
-Please don’t tell people how much crappy you feel. Keep it to yourself. Even to my wife, I would say I was just tired but never admit anything more. People don’t want to hear about it. Grind away but if you have kids, you owe it to them to be in a good mood and to your wife, not let the diet and training affect your mood and them. [/quote]

While I was never miserable, I certainly was tired at times and I agree totally with your statement. I did not let it impact my role as husband and father. You must have priorities.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]timmcbride00 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Tim I just can’t get over how peeled you are in that avatar![/quote]

Thanks, but I’d gladly give up some of the leanness for more size! [/quote]
The grass is always greener right[/quote]

It is, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
pwolves that was a really interesting post!

I don’t know how you guys do it. I always tell myself that once I’m happy with how big I am I’ll do a mega, contest prep-esque cut to see if I’ve got the cojones for it, but I keep saying to myself I’m still not big enough.[/quote]

rds63799, is that you?[/quote]

Ohh damn i hope so lol[/quote]

looks like the cat’s out the bag now…

Try to contain your excitement, eh folks?[/quote]

Awesome! Glad to have you back.

Anyway, good info in this thread. The level of dedication to compete is crazy. [/quote]

Glad you’re back, I was trying to place the writing but couldn’t quite do it.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
pwolves that was a really interesting post!

I don’t know how you guys do it. I always tell myself that once I’m happy with how big I am I’ll do a mega, contest prep-esque cut to see if I’ve got the cojones for it, but I keep saying to myself I’m still not big enough.[/quote]

rds63799, is that you?[/quote]

Ohh damn i hope so lol[/quote]

looks like the cat’s out the bag now…

Try to contain your excitement, eh folks?[/quote]

Awesome! Glad to have you back.

Anyway, good info in this thread. The level of dedication to compete is crazy. [/quote]

Glad you’re back, I was trying to place the writing but couldn’t quite do it.

[/quote]

thanks Pangy, I’m glad to see you’re still posting. Me and you need to start another recipes thread sometime!