Pre-Workout Supplements

What do you guys think about supplementing right BEFORE heading over to the gym (in addition to post-workout)? Are there any advantages to, for example, taking whey right before lifting? What about a whey/carb mixture?

Yes. I eat a small snack of like an apple/engmuffin/pb 30-45 mins prior to lifting, and a half of a pro shake. As for supps, I like to take a dose of BCAA before, and after lifting. JMO though, but I think it helps shuttle nutrients/recovery/and overall effectivness of workouts.

Yup do your self a favor and read up on articles by Dave Barr and peri workout. I mean I could expand but id be largely rehashing what Dave has researched and written. In short the post w/o nutrition is several times more important and anabolic then even post w/o

do an author search

Phill

handofgod and phill thank you both for your replies. i looked at Chris Shugart’s experiment, looks pretty interesting

I find that peri nutrition slows me down, I like a p and f meal 2 hours before, than I like to take,
Spike, green tea, BCAA’s, glutamine. I feel more amped up than with all the sugars.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1429711

killem and rrjc thanks to both of you for your advice recently i’ve been taking 50g of ON 100% whey before lifting and a maltodextrin/dextrose/whey shake after my workout.

[quote]fleep wrote:
What do you guys think about supplementing right BEFORE heading over to the gym (in addition to post-workout)? Are there any advantages to, for example, taking whey right before lifting? What about a whey/carb mixture?[/quote]

For me, taking pre-workout supplements seems to help.

My pre-workout supplement schedule is as follows:

Creatine/NO2 product (I vary them)
BCAA’s
Spike

During my workout, I’ve found that 3 servings of Cytomax really improves my performance. I’ve studied this and have compared it to taking nothing/water, and both 1 and 2 servings of Gatorade and Cytomax, and 3 servings of Cytomax worked better for me over water and Gatorade.

Also, both 1 and 2 servings of Gatorade and Cytomax worked better for me than nothing/water.

I’m going to do another comparison of pre-workout nutrition, this time comparing 3 servings of Cytomax to 1 serving of Surge. I think that Surge will come out being on top, but we’ll let the numbers indicate the winner.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
fleep wrote:
What do you guys think about supplementing right BEFORE heading over to the gym (in addition to post-workout)? Are there any advantages to, for example, taking whey right before lifting? What about a whey/carb mixture?

BCAA’s
Spike

During my workout, I’ve found that 3 servings of Cytomax really improves my performance. I’ve studied this and have compared it to taking nothing/water, and both 1 and 2 servings of Gatorade and Cytomax, and 3 servings of Cytomax worked better for me over water and Gatorade.

Also, both 1 and 2 servings of Gatorade and Cytomax worked better for me than nothing/water.

I’m going to do another comparison of pre-workout nutrition, this time comparing 3 servings of Cytomax to 1 serving of Surge. I think that Surge will come out being on top, but we’ll let the numbers indicate the winner.
[/quote]

Dominator thanks a lot that sounds really interesting i had never heard of cytomax before so i just looked it up

I get up at 6:00 a.m and slam about six BCAA’s, and three REZ-V, after a shower and getting dressed about forty five minutes later, I slam three scoops Metabolic Drive in 12-oz. FF milk with a cup of blueberries and scoop of Greens Plus and a dose of Flameout. Forty five minutes later I eat an apple and slam a Spike Shooter. Half hour later right before working out I slam six to eight more BCAA’s and BETA-7. Immediately post workout three scoops of Surge, one scoop Creatine, and six to eight BCAA’s. Two hours later a hunk of meat and mess of vegetables.

I realize that was pretty long winded, but I wanted to convey that I adopted this routine about a year ago and it has been damn great. I am very pleased with my body comp lower body fat since I can’t remember when and increased muscle mass. My energy levels and mood are firing quite nicely. Workouts are always a blast and I have more endurance and strength then ever. I highly recommend a similar supplement plan of course combined with good overall nutrition and a good workout program for improvements in the areas mentioned.

Take care,

D

[quote]Dominator wrote:
fleep wrote:

BCAA’s
Spike

[/quote]
Do you mean a “scoop” or a a full serving?

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
I get up at 6:00 a.m and slam about six BCAA’s, and three REZ-V, after a shower and getting dressed about forty five minutes later, I slam three scoops Metabolic Drive in 12-oz. FF milk with a cup of blueberries and scoop of Greens Plus and a dose of Flameout. Forty five minutes later I eat an apple and slam a Spike Shooter. Half hour later right before working out I slam six to eight more BCAA’s and BETA-7.

Immediately post workout three scoops of Surge, one scoop Creatine, and six to eight BCAA’s. Two hours later a hunk of meat and mess of vegetables.

I realize that was pretty long winded, but I wanted to convey that I adopted this routine about a year ago and it has been damn great. I am very pleased with my body comp lower body fat since I can’t remember when and increased muscle mass. My energy levels and mood are firing quite nicely. Workouts are always a blast and I have more endurance and strength then ever. I highly recommend a similar supplement plan of course combined with good overall nutrition and a good workout program for improvements in the areas mentioned.

Take care,

D[/quote]

Dedicated thanks a lot for going through that. For a few weeks I’ve been doing something similar and I hope to get good results. 50g of whey, BCAA pills, some fish oil, and multivitamin when I wake up, then a nice hearty breakfast and, right before going to the gym, 50g of whey and BCAA pills and right after workout 50g of whey plus maltodextrin and dextrose and BCAA pills, and a good meal about an hour later. We’ll see how that works

Journal of Applied Physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism. Tipton et al 2001: finds that a pre workout drink of sugar and aminos actually elevates protein synthesis 2.5 times higher than when the same drink is consumed after training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461847

So, this considered I know that many here will advocate a scoop of Surge before training and another scoop after.

[quote]FinnishGuy wrote:
Journal of Applied Physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism. Tipton et al 2001: finds that a pre workout drink of sugar and aminos actually elevates protein synthesis 2.5 times higher than when the same drink is consumed after training.

So, this considered I know that many here will advocate a scoop of Surge before training and another scoop after.[/quote]

sweet thanks finnishguy

[quote]FinnishGuy wrote:

quote)

I think this study has holes in it. For one was breakfast eaten? Or was the pre workout supp the breakfast? Where both subjects fed the same thing? Were different preceeding meals given.

So if it was a first thing in the morning training session, and then nothing was eating, then a pwo was given I see that as the whey coming down and nitrogen rapidly running through the system.

I wonder if the study looked at a hearty 1st meal, (like most people do in real world conditions). Then take a PWO drink and do the studies.
So, this considered I know that many here will advocate a scoop of Surge before training and another scoop after.

[quote]FinnishGuy wrote:

So, this considered I know that many here will advocate a scoop of Surge before training and another scoop after.[/quote]

I found this confusing, does this mean you should or shouldn’t take a pre-workout shake?

Power Drive 30-60 minutes prior to training and a Spike if I need it.

35 g Whey hdyro immediately prior to training with BCAA’s and glutamine

and 35g Whey hydro /50g malto/creatine/BCAA/glutamine PWO

Then I eat a lot after my shower and cooking food.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:

Journal of Applied Physiology. Endocrinology and metabolism. Tipton et al 2001:

I think this study has holes in it. For one was breakfast eaten? [/quote]

No

[quote]
Or was the pre workout supp the breakfast?[/quote]

yes

yes

[quote]
So if it was a first thing in the morning training session, and then nothing was eating, then a pwo was given I see that as the whey coming down and nitrogen rapidly running through the system.

I wonder if the study looked at a hearty 1st meal, (like most people do in real world conditions). Then take a PWO drink and do the studies.

I completely understand where you’re coming from, and am sure that the fasted condition amplified the magnitude of each effect.

It seems as though the insulin-induced blood flow was the main difference between pre and post consumption. This effect should be independent of time of day. This also applies for the pharmaceutical effect of amino acids.

While a solid meal would be more anticatabolic, the pre-workout Surge (for example) is also highly anabolic.

Translation: pre-workout meals are optimal for muscle growth and recovery.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
I find that peri nutrition slows me down[/quote]

Yeah, but here’s a way to “cheat” that works for me:
Pre workout: a scoop of Grow! plus a bottle of Gatorade. Ideally around 25 minutes before actually touching the barbell (maybe my digestion is slow? I don’t know).
Post workout: a serving of Surge plus a teaspoon of creatine.

“Real” food slows me down too, but liquid protein + carbs seems OK.

personally, i eat food before going.

i lift in the morning so usually a whole grain cereal, eggs, bacon and milk.

food seems to “stick” a whole lot better than supps. and provides all the same nutritional benefits, if not more.

i drink a whey shake after though, usually with strawberries, a banana, blueberries and more milk. i have bought in to the speed of absorption and “anabolic window” theory.