T Nation

Pre-Workout Shake: How Long Before?

Hi,

I read that for pre workout nutrition it is better to consume a shake before training. So my question is how long before? 1 hours or right before starting the workout?

And is do I have to take some fat with it? to make it a P+F meal or protein alone to allow a fast absorption?

Thanks for help.

Grim

Was wondering the same since I read Chad mentioning in the Lucky 13 series that pre is even more important than post.

Do I just take Surge before my workout?

Pradaboy

I have heard Dave Barr say that he takes his 15 minutes before a workout. I had the same query and it was the only thing I could find.

I think 45 minutes is the maximum and anytime after that before a training session and you should be fine.

Hope that helps!

Blondie

[quote]grimskunk wrote:
Hi,

I read that for pre workout nutrition it is better to consume a shake before training. So my question is how long before? 1 hours or right before starting the workout?

And is do I have to take some fat with it? to make it a P+F meal or protein alone to allow a fast absorption?

Thanks for help.

Grim[/quote]

No, make it P+C. Surge works well if that’s what you take, or whatever you use for post-workout. I use a scoop before and a scoop after, but some people use a full serving both times. I can’t afford it, plus I’m on T-Dawg so I can’t have that many carbs.

What I found after Much testing for ME of course is 2 scoops of Surge mixed in 32 OZ water drink half 1/2 hr - 20 mins prior, then the other half during the first few mins of training. Gives me the best energy etc to have great w/o’s and not Crash before ending and getting more P&C.

Test it out and see what works best.

I like to drink about a half serving of Surge 15 minutes before my workout, dilute the other half of the serving and drink that during, and then pound a serving within 30 minutes of getting done.

When I was on the Anabolic diet for a few months, I would do this on the weekends and HOLY SHIT that was an awesome experience (you could actually feel the carbs being shuttled into the muscle and I’d look all sorts of swole for about a day and a half).

That diet was awesome, just too hard to do right now at this stage in my life, although I’m sure I’ll hit it up again.