T Nation

Pre-Workout Nutrition

What do you take prior to workouts?

About an hour prior I take a whey protein shake and then a pre workout powder drink that I buy at Max muscle that gives me a lot of energy and mental drive. I know I will get flamed for not using a Biotest supplement. Although I wonder if I just drank some coffee if I would get the same effect.

I am just interested in what other people do to get ready for workouts.

[quote]husker29 wrote:
What do you take prior to workouts?

About an hour prior I take a whey protein shake and then a pre workout powder drink that I buy at Max muscle that gives me a lot of energy and mental drive. I know I will get flamed for not using a Biotest supplement. Although I wonder if I just drank some coffee if I would get the same effect.

I am just interested in what other people do to get ready for workouts. [/quote]

You won’t get flamed for not using Biotest supps - hell Im not on any at the moment (Metabolic Drive is expensive as hell in the UK) but I may still have some TRIBEX in a cupboard somewhere…

However you may well get flamed for using a retarded supplement/nutritional stratergy.

I eat about 1-1.5 hrs prior to working out.
Popeye Smoothie by Berardi to be exact

[quote]husker29 wrote:
What do you take prior to workouts?

About an hour prior I take a whey protein shake and then a pre workout powder drink that I buy at Max muscle that gives me a lot of energy and mental drive. I know I will get flamed for not using a Biotest supplement. Although I wonder if I just drank some coffee if I would get the same effect.

I am just interested in what other people do to get ready for workouts. [/quote]

Right now it’s…
1cup of 2% greek yogurt(160 kcal, 24g protein, 3g fat, 9g carbs(5g sugar), 10mg cholesterol) mixed with 1/4 cup frozen blueberries about two hours before the gym, a cup of strong green tea with a minute amount of raw honey right before I leave the house.

benmoore- please explain why you think this is a retarded nutritional strategy? I have no problem with you making that statement but want to learn why you feel that way.

[quote]husker29 wrote:
benmoore- please explain why you think this is a retarded nutritional strategy? I have no problem with you making that statement but want to learn why you feel that way.[/quote]

I don’t think he was saying you have a retarded strategy, only that if you start talking about things like “NO X-Plode giving you a sick pump” then you will wish you were never born.

happy lifting

Just don’t go training hungry or having eaten a large meal right before. Everything else is pebbles.

I start drinking half a gallon of 2% milk 30 minutes or so before my first work set, and its usually gone by the time i’m done my first exercise (strength days only).

Taken 15ish minute before heading to the gym (10 min. walk):

1 Scoop Whey
5g creatine
1 banana

I just start sippin on my Surge when I start my warm ups, and drink it between sets throughout the workout. Afterwards I just skip the PWO shake and have my PWO meal about 30 minutes after I’m done. Might go back to double Surging once I get my next paycheck though…

I haven’t had any specific pre-workout nutrition for a while due to my class scheduling. I prefer to work out in the morning right after my first class. I usually sip a lot of green tea during my class, which actually gets me awake and hyped up for the gym.

During workout, I take 15-20 BCAA’s while sipping on some waxy maize. After workout is always Surge. Probably going to switch the waxy maize out for more Surge once its out.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
I start drinking half a gallon of 2% milk 30 minutes or so before my first work set, and its usually gone by the time i’m done my first exercise (strength days only).[/quote]

are you serious? I can only imagine what would happen to me if I did this, I’m lactose intolerant. That’s cool if it works for you though. It just jumped out at me.

oatmeal 1.5 hours before a protein shake about 20 grams about 45 min. before a pre-workout shake(no-shotgun) 30 min. before then i hit the weights

Big meal 1.5 -2 hours before. Half an hour before have 1.5L of water, half a coke zero and some Creatine EE pills