T Nation

Pre-Workout Nutrition for Long Workouts

Wasn’t sure where to post this exactly. I only get to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week so I have been doing full body workouts each time which have grown to 2 and 3 hours in length. Should I be concerned about catabolism? Should I be consuming carbs or can I workout for 3 hours mostly fasted and not catabolize? I drink a shake every morning 50 grams of whey and 1 cup of oatmeal and a bottle of water. Today I ate half a king size snickers before I went in the gym and when I came out I ate the other half and drank a 50 gram whey protein shake. I have plenty of bodyfat to burn but I am trying to add muscle.

What are you doing for three hours? Which is your primary goal?

2 Likes

You should down a protein & carb shake about half way through. Nothing crazy that will come flying back up in 10 minutes, but a little something to continue fueling your next hour-hour & a half.

Full body resistance training. Last time more or less was … Bench … DL … stiff-leg dl … high bar row… bent over row… row machine… pull ups… dips… cable curl’s …tri-extensions …shoulder press… side raises… farmers carry… squat …calf presses … leg curl … ab-crunches… torso rotation. I want to put on 10 pounds of muscle (lean bulk) then afterwards cut 10 pounds of fat and see where I am at.

:grimacing: More or less? Should shoot for wayyyyy less. If you’re really doing 18 movements in a workout then you will need to worry about not making any progress. Where did you get the idea you had to do that?

1 Like

It is almost an hour to the gym so I just get to go 2 or 3 times a week. Full body workout twice a week… maybe 3 times and 4 miles of run/walk 2 or 3 times a week. Seemed reasonable to me. 4-8 hrs resistance training and 3 hrs cardio.

IF you can train 2-3 hours per workout do you even workout ?

1 Like

@bigmax
Yeah bubba… Do you have anything important to say?

He’s making an important point. A 3 hour workout means you aren’t devoting enough intensity to your workouts, and that you’re likely past the point of diminishing returns. Being only able to workout 2-3x a week does not mean you should shoot to hit the same total time in the gym as someone who can get there 6x a week - it means you should be training MORE intensely for those sessions, which should cap them at an hour. 1.5 hours tops.

Thank you for trying to help. Both of you. I have thought it through. I do not buy into half of what I read. The human body adapts or fails. Many professional athletes train 3 and 4 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week or more. I think I can hit every muscle group twice a week and I will be okay. If I get to feeling like I am hitting a wall I will take a week off. Just curious how to fuel the workouts without using lean tissue as an energy source.

Perhaps there is a reason they are professional athletes

You have “thought it through” why do you need help? I mean you are 40 and overweight you know what you are doing.

Also, athletes tend to train multiple times a day not 4 hours straight and not just weight training.

Maybe partly because they workout 3-4 hours a day?

Alternatively; they have the ability to do so without repercussion.

This is typically known as “the exception that proves the rule”. A better argument would be “lots of average guys do this”

1 Like

Do you have an answer to my question? I don’t recall asking for advice on my routine. If you do not then find somewhere else to post.

Unless you’re just going through the motions, your cortisol is likely through the roof.

Good luck adding muscle, unless you’re on a good bit of AAS’s.

@RT_Nomad Why would you think that 6 hours of weightlifting per week would be too much? I am on 200 mg hormone replacement test c. All major muscle groups 2x a week… I am trying it and if I don’t respond well I will change it up. I should be in the honeymoon phase because I am just getting back in the gym after awhile plus I just lost 25 lbs. The way peoples bodies react to training is wildly different yet everyone thinks I need to follow their program…I am just looking for what works best for me and my situation.

Muscle memory will work well for you. That is, you will make some nice gains doing just about anything.

6 hours a week, which isn’t particularly high, isn’t the problem. It’s the 3 hour “endurance” resistance training that will trigger a large cortisol release. It will settle back in a day, but it is more difficult to gain muscle mass with large quantities of cortisol flowing through you body and attaching to bonding sites used for growth.

You do what you want, and you will. To counteract the level of cortisol your body will release in a 3 hour workout might require a higher level of AAS’s to fill those binding sites than 200mg of test C a week.

Bro, so I already said in my post, stop talking about total hours per week working out. 8 hours a week isn’t even necessarily too much , but if you do an 8 hour workout, it is.

More is not always better.

No, you’re not. If you were, you’d recognize that everyone who has come in here has taken issue with the length of your workouts. You’re looking for us to give you advice on how to execute a plan of action that we wouldn’t implement ourselves.

Who has recommended a program for you in here?

I should say, when I was competing I never tried helping “anyone” who I might have to compete against. Never.

If I were still competing, I’d encourage you to give it a go. I’d use you as a willing guinea pig to see what results you got. Maybe get some good info…

I no longer compete. I am just trying to give back to a sport that gave so much to me.