Pre-workout meal

Do you think that pre-workout meal should consist mostly of carbs or protein and fat?
Which one is right?
I heard that if you use mainly carbs then it will cause insulin spike and you will lose energy during the workout. However, if you use protein and fat, this will give you sustained energy during the workout.

If you are working out first thing in the morning, what should you consume as breakfast 1 and half hour prior to work out?

My guess would be oatmeal… a very low GI carb. Also some fruit. Go to the cbass site, scroll down the page, and read the FAQ(2)… there is a question about working out on empty stomachs. The info there should be very helpful to you.

I usually have a fat-free yoghurt and a large bowl of oatmeal mixed with some milk, strawberries and whey powder before I hit the gym in the morning. Go for the 100% natural organic oatmeal, not the instant one loaded with sugar and other nasty stuff. Oatmeal is one of the best low GI carb for pre-workout; it’ll keep your blood sugar steady for a sustained period of time.

I forgot, I also add a tablespoon of Udo’s Choice or flax seed oil.

well jonathan, everyone is different and you’ll have to do a bit of experimenting to find out what, exactly, works best for you. low glycemic carbs will prevent the dreaded ‘insulin spike’ and adding some protein and healthy fats will also slow the digestion down and give you sustained energy thru your workout…and thru the day!
i disagree with who ever said ‘if you use mainly carbs then it will cause an insulin spike…however protein and fat will give you sustained energy…’ i think it would depend more on what type of carb it was (low or high glycemic) also, people handle carbs differently. some people feel sluggish…like they’re going into an insulin indused coma! don’t forget, carbs fuel your muscles so i believe a pre-workout meal (and diet) consisting of low G.I carbs would be beneficial to a good workout. but like i said, everyone is different, so you’ll need to do some experimenting…there is no ‘best answer’
good luck!