T Nation

Pre-Workout Meal

Hey guys,

I am having trouble figuring out a solid meal before my workouts. To give you an idea of what I eat, and the timing of each meal, here is what it looks like:

So I'm in school from 8:30-3:30, Monday to Friday. It takes an hour and a half to get there...which is brutal, but whatever. I wake up at 5:30am and my day begins..

6'6"/235lbs.
6:00am- Meal 1
-2 extra large eggs, and 7 egg whites (scrambled with spinach, onions and some hot sauce)
- 1/2 cup of oats (with water, 1 tsp of natural PB, 1 greek yogurt and some cinnamon)

12:00pm - Meal 2
- 1 can of tuna in wraps or protein bread (mixed with one tbsp of light mayo
*or another lean protein source
- big salad
-handful of almonds
- Greek yogurt

Leave school at 3:30pm, Meal 3 at about 4:00-4:15pm (pre-workout)
- 2 scoops of whey and 1 banana

I feel like this meal is a big issue... (pre workout)

Meal 4-
-protein source
-veggies
-rice (basmati or brown)/ or potato(white or sweet)

Meal 5-
- 1 container of low sodium cottage cheese
-2 heaping tablespoons of natural PB

If there is anything I need to change, please let me know. I realize I do need to start counting my calories..

I just feel this pre workout meal isn't enough. I feel bloated going into the gym. I need a solid pre workout meal before getting to the gym while I'm driving.

What are your goals, loosing fat? Gaining strength? Size? You didn’t give any info

Why do you think your pre- workout meal isnt enough? If its the bloat then change the items and see how you’ll respond. Some people dont do well with whey

[quote]outlaws wrote:
What are your goals, loosing fat? Gaining strength? Size? You didn’t give any info

Why do you think your pre- workout meal isnt enough? If its the bloat then change the items and see how you’ll respond. Some people dont do well with whey

[/quote]

My goal is to gain strength and size, with minimal fat gains. I want to a very clean bulk.

Could drop the solid meal and try pre workout drink -aminos/karboln/Plazma etc depending on budget

Im guessing your pretty lean Being 6’6" 235lbs. I like to carb load 60-45m before working out so i usually have 1.5 cups of pasta w some pasta sauce. Gives me 80g carbs, 2g fat, 14g protien, about 450cals. Not gonna go into exact science but i switched from my pro gainer to this and have been noticing a great improvment in my major lifts. Some guys just respond better w carbs

[quote]TimedResults wrote:
Im guessing your pretty lean Being 6’6" 235lbs. I like to carb load 60-45m before working out so i usually have 1.5 cups of pasta w some pasta sauce. Gives me 80g carbs, 2g fat, 14g protien, about 450cals. Not gonna go into exact science but i switched from my pro gainer to this and have been noticing a great improvment in my major lifts. Some guys just respond better w carbs[/quote]

Yeah man, I’m roughly around 12-14% bodyfat I believe. Abs are visible, feel strong. I just want to gain a little more size and strength while not gaining too much fat if I can help it. It would be nice to get up to 240 or so, while staying fairly lean.

At 6’6", I have long limbs and kind of a short torso. 83.5" reach.
I’ve dealt with some tendinitis in both knees recently basically because I wasn’t squatting deep enough. I reset my numbers for squats, and am hitting parallel or just below. Here’s some of my numbers so far:

Bench: 245
Squat: 315
Deadlift: 565

*squats and deadlifts are done beltless.

I really want to build my squat and bench. So I gotta step up my nutrition game a bit. I just need to find a way to count calories without it being a pain in the ass… Haha

looks a little light on carbs to me

please eat the yolks

[quote]Yogi wrote:
looks a little light on carbs to me[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I think with those extra calories from carbs, it may help. Where do you think I should add in more carbs? Sometimes I’m afraid of gaining too much fat with extra carbs. I suppose as long as I eat the right carbs, I should be fine.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
looks a little light on carbs to me[/quote]

Looks kinda light on cals in general. 6’6 230-ish is a big dude, and there can’t be more than 3k cals in that menu. Eat the yolks and add a cup of oats at breakfast. Eat rice and denser cuts of meat at your other meals. What the op proposed looks light for a 180 lb dude.