T Nation

Pre-Workout Meal, Necessary to Maximize Gains?

I'm 36, I'm very active and have been active my whole life. I've played soccer for over 30 years (still play) and worked out at the gym for over 20 years. Over the past 3 years I've added crossfit to my repertoire. In my typical week I would do crossfit for 2 days, play a 90min soccer match for 90mins and perhaps go surfing every 2 weeks.

Lately, I've felt very energetic at the gym during my classes and I wonder if it has to do with my pre-work out nutrition mainly (apart from potential lack of sleep from time to time and other lifestyle situations that might affect as well). I have felt this before in the past, then it went away for a good year and now it has returned. I'm not sure if my body is somehow depleted from all the activity or if its for some other reason.

However, I wanted to understand from any expert in this forum what the IDEAL pre-workout meal should be and the time window for its consumption. I've read other sites on the internet and they seem to recommend eating low glycemic load food 30-90 mins before my workout.

My main goal is to feel energetic during the workout, as opposed to feeling like I have low blood sugar. I typically have lunch between 12m and 1pm and then I don't eat anything solid before my workout at 6-6:30pm apart from some tea. I've been doing that for a while and it never seemed to affect me. However, I wonder now if there is a way to optimize my results during my workouts if I add an additional meal pre-workout.

I typically digest slow, so that was also part of the reasons why I never eat much before the working out as I didn't want to feel bloated or puke during the workout.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Please keep in mind that my goal is maintain my current weight and to increase strength, stamina and endurance. Thanks

[quote]ramiral wrote:
I’m 36, I’m very active and have been active my whole life. I’ve played soccer for over 30 years (still play) and worked out at the gym for over 20 years. Over the past 3 years I’ve added crossfit to my repertoire. In my typical week I would do crossfit for 2 days, play a 90min soccer match for 90mins and perhaps go surfing every 2 weeks.

Lately, I’ve felt very energetic at the gym during my classes and I wonder if it has to do with my pre-work out nutrition mainly (apart from potential lack of sleep from time to time and other lifestyle situations that might affect as well). I have felt this before in the past, then it went away for a good year and now it has returned. I’m not sure if my body is somehow depleted from all the activity or if its for some other reason.

However, I wanted to understand from any expert in this forum what the IDEAL pre-workout meal should be and the time window for its consumption. I’ve read other sites on the internet and they seem to recommend eating low glycemic load food 30-90 mins before my workout.

My main goal is to feel energetic during the workout, as opposed to feeling like I have low blood sugar. I typically have lunch between 12m and 1pm and then I don’t eat anything solid before my workout at 6-6:30pm apart from some tea. I’ve been doing that for a while and it never seemed to affect me. However, I wonder now if there is a way to optimize my results during my workouts if I add an additional meal pre-workout.

I typically digest slow, so that was also part of the reasons why I never eat much before the working out as I didn’t want to feel bloated or puke during the workout.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Please keep in mind that my goal is maintain my current weight and to increase strength, stamina and endurance. Thanks

[/quote]

One word answer: Plazma.

That simple, seriously. Two scoops, drink 25% of the solution 20-30 minutes prior to the workout, the rest during the workout. It will provide all the energy you need and you won’t have to worry about carbing up in the preceding meal.

Absolutely Necessary? No. Would it help? Forsure

Since you’re interested in gaining strength & endurance while maintaining bodyweight, you have more leeway compared to someone interested in adding a lot of muscle and size.

There is a huge 6 hours ish gap between your lunch and workout. I understand what you mean by working out full makes you feel like throwing up, im similar too, but ideally you should get something in.

Plazma as mentioned is a very good idea but if you cant buy/afford it, then maybe have a protein shake/ BCAA’s with some dextrose/bananas 1hr-45 min before, they’re liquid so wont likely to bloat. Or add another meal 2-3 hours before, something solid.

The general idea, as far as im aware, is to have glucose & amino acids in your blood while working out so your muscles can more easily access them to be nourished. You can either go with something more quicker digested (whey powder/BCAA’s/ dextrose) and have it closer to your workout (30 - 45 min) or have a solid meal with protein & carbs (2-3 hrs before). It all depends on your personal preference IMO, so try both and see which one works better for you.

Good Luck