Pre-Workout L-Tyrosine

Does anyone take L-Tyrosine pre-workout and does it work? Defranco referred to it as one of the most underrated supplements on the market and so I followed his advise and got myself a bottle. I have been taking 3g pre work out but have not really felt any difference. Has it worked for anyone else? if so, do you take it with coffee and how long before your workouts do you take it?

I took 3-5g pre-workout for a while. This amounted to a shit-ton of pills, which was a little annoying but whatever. Sometimes I felt more focused, sometimes not. There were probably many other factors affecting my focus at the time, so I can’t say whether it was the tyrosine or something else.

Physiologically, your body uses tyrosine as the raw materials to produce certain neurotransmitters/hormones such as norepinephrine, which is a chemical that boots focus/energy and causes your body to release stored blood sugar because the fight or flight response has been activated.

Norepinephrine is usually extremely high in people with bipolar mania and extremely low in some depressed people.

What does this mean for you? I have no idea, but it’s good to know what the reason for taking tyrosine might be.

If it’s not having an effect on you it could be one or more of a few things such as:

1. the product itself is not what the bottle says or it’s low quality

2. it’s not getting absorbed because of other solid foods ingested at the time.

3. you don’t need it because you get enough from your diet and your body produces enough of it to make the necessary chemicals.

Coach Thibaudeau says somewhere in one of his many threads that supplements that affect the nervous system should be taken on an empty stomach. Try that and if that doesn’t work you might just be wasting your money.

I’ve never taken it alone but I assume there’s a reason they put it in Power Drive, which I use regularly. Lately I’ve been taking it with oxiracetam and I’ve had some of the most focused workouts of my life.

I start sipping it about half an hour before my workout. Gives me enough time to get a shake in before I head to the gym.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I’ve never taken it alone but I assume there’s a reason they put it in Power Drive [/quote]

Exactly.

Tyrosine is one of the raw materials from which dopamine and norepinephrine are produced. Dopamine + norepinephrine = focus, drive, and energy.