T Nation

Pre-Workout Habits?

opening a thread about our rituals (if any) pre workout, mine have been drinking an energy drink although not needed at all it gives me that mental idea im stronger up and pumped. Also ass kicking music :slight_smile:
share yours

To guarantee a good session I need to have eaten some whole food no longer than 2 housr before training. Won’t be able to give 100% otherwise. Also try to have a strong coffee about 30 minutes before training.

No other habits, rituals and definately no quirks.

ha food is definitely important, if i forget it i chomp down on tootsie rolls at my gym lol

I don’t have anything before a workout really, but before tough work sets or attempts, I always take a dump, even if I don’t need it.

I chug a can of Spike…

… then I get in my car, turn the stereo off and in silence I think about my main lift for the day (squat, deadlift, whatever), I try to really see myself busting through the weights and lifting more than I’m set to lift.

Once I set foot into the gym, I don’t think about anything except for the task at hand, all the other aspects of my life will still be there after I’m done with my training session.

[quote]bignate wrote:
opening a thread about our rituals (if any) pre workout, mine have been drinking an energy drink although not needed at all it gives me that mental idea im stronger up and pumped. Also ass kicking music :slight_smile:
share yours[/quote]

[quote]daraz wrote:
I don’t have anything before a workout really, but before tough work sets or attempts, I always take a dump, even if I don’t need it.

[/quote]

http://poetry.rotten.com/weightlifter/

DISCLAIMER- Not for the faint of heart!

[quote]m1sf1t wrote:
… then I get in my car, turn the stereo off and in silence I think about my main lift for the day (squat, deadlift, whatever), I try to really see myself busting through the weights and lifting more than I’m set to lift.[/quote]

I believe visualisation works too.

When I was competing in powerlifting I would lie in bed at night and walk through every little component of the lift. Exactly how I’d approach the squat rack, how the weight would feel coming off the racks, how I’d walk (or should I say step) the weight away from the rack etc… By the time I got to the platform I had already successfully completed the lift many times.

I think this approach is mentally draining though. I couldn’t do it regularly and don’t for my daily workouts.

[quote]mingledorff7 wrote:
daraz wrote:

[/quote]

LOL Don’t give me nightmares!

About an hour to 15 minutes before my workouts, I like to listen to calmer, chiller music. This is when I get into a mental state good for training. I call this the “Calm Before the Storm.”

Then about 15 minutes and beyond before my workout, I crank up some hardcore music (rock or rap, whatever I’m feeling.)

About 5 minutes before my workout, I eat some last carbs and what have you while blasting hardcore music and stare at something, usually some random spot on the floor. I start thinking of things that really pissed me off during the day, or maybe the past week, and use the anger to fuel my workouts.

7 scoops of NO Xplode baby! The best freaking stuff in the world!

I get to the gym, I drink some water, stretch continuously, and warmup with 60kg until I feel like I can move properly. Warmup with 120kg on the deads though. It takes a long time( 20-45 minutes depending on how I feel ), but it gets me ready to lift. If I’m hungry I’ll grab something to eat before I lift.

Thats about it. I’d rather spend time getting myself ready to lift and “feeling” stronger than anything else. Being in the gym and lifting is the best way I’ve found to get myself “prepared” to lift. To each there own though.

Eat a couple hours before hand. Get some caffeine in me an 1-2 hours before hand. Blast some music, think about how I need to stop being a bitch, then go at it hard.

[quote]mingledorff7 wrote:
daraz wrote:

[/quote]

You DO know that pic is a fake, right?

I pump loud music before but stop everything shortly and focus and visualize a good workout, get my head straight then focus on that, then i pump some more music…

smelling salts, and I give myself crazy eyes in the mirror for a good minute or two before my first work set. And whenever I feel like like I may need to be a little crazy to complete a certain set later in the session, I go back to the crazy eyes.

some times i’ll take some caffiene, but i usually just have to get it done on a moments notice. especially when i’m on shift.

I usually listen to showtunes on the way to the gym, why? Because I like showtunes.

Listen to some music in the parking lot roll up the windows in the car no matter how hot it is outside and listen to a whole song with my eyes closed.pace myself at the gym when working up to 1RM talk to myself maybe

I forgot about the visualization i read it from bill kaz tried it and it works so much! i just close my eyes before big lifts and see them getting done

About 1/2 hr before a workout I eat some fruit, drink tea and or coffee, and put the final details of my workout together.

Concerning the prolapsed rectum from squatting:

I have to fight this photo every year with parents who don’t want their kid doing squats becasue his guts are going to fall out his ass…thanks for perpetuating this a bit more…please tell me you knew it was not on the up and up.

sb