Pre-Workout for Morning Lifting

I take a scoop of Surge and a serving of whey with water, it gives me enough energy for my workout.

Cardio before weights??? No thanks. I’m in the gym at 5:00 a.m. and have tried going with a half serving of Surge pre-workout, but like a couple others here, it makes me a little sick to my stomach.

I slug down a cup of Starbucks (grind the beans at home) with a half scoop of Low-Carb Grow! on my way to the gym…It tastes awesome…like a healthy creamer. I get the caffeine buzz and a little protein from the Grow! and it doesn’t weigh on my gut like Surge. PWO, however, I definitely chug down my Surge.

[quote]shouit wrote:
This is my post workout meal which I eat about 7am, protein smoothie (milk, yogurt, protein powder, creatine, frozen berries) and a piece of toast with a little pb on it.

Is this good or should I go a different route and eat substational(eggs, oatmeal, etc)?[/quote]

The general consensus seems to be to take a liquid meal of P+C right after your workout, and then a solid meal of P+C 1 hour or so afterwards. John Berardi might disagree with your peanut butter, as it contains fats, which should be eaten at other times during the day. But hey, if it keeps the hunger wolf away (I could eat a horse after a work out), then I doubt it’s a big deal. :slight_smile:

[I haven’t eaten peanut butter in so long…and these days it seems all the posts mention it. Damn! I think I might have to buy some.]

[quote]SABmore wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but what about those of us (I might be alone on this) that can’t get up an 1hr earlier to eat breakfast? I currently get up and head straight to the gym in the morning w/o taking in anything but HOT-ROX.

I’m aware that this is by no means ideal, as my body is coming out of a fasting state, but I’ve tried consuming food, especially Surge, immediately before and during my workout but I wind up feeling nauseous. Any tips/advice? Thanks![/quote]

Up at 5, at the gym by 5:30. Amino’s and grape juice for 35g carbs.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
[I haven’t eaten peanut butter in so long…and these days it seems all the posts mention it. Damn! I think I might have to buy some.][/quote]

Miserere, have you seen this…

http://www.powerbutter.com/nutrition.html

I have had this and it is tasty.

Just a warning on that power butter CRAP. It was tested and fell Awefull short on label claims of both good fats and protein from what I recall. I think it was Chris Shugart that blogged the report/study on the site Do a search.

IMO this is one of those foods LL would refer to as Franken Foods. You are much better off eating a natural Peanut, or other nut butter, (JUST NUTS) and add a protien source be it whole food or somethuing like Grow!

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]shouit wrote:
Miserere wrote:
[I haven’t eaten peanut butter in so long…and these days it seems all the posts mention it. Damn! I think I might have to buy some.]

Miserere, have you seen this…

http://www.powerbutter.com/nutrition.html

I have had this and it is tasty.
[/quote]

Aww maaan… I got so excited there for a minute…and then Phil shot me down. :frowning:

I guess it was too good to be true. Miracle foods don’t exist.

Well, after my previous post I went out and got some old fashioned, crunchy, no sugar added PB. Maybe if I mix it with flaxseed oil, protein powder and egg whites…

I keep it simple but it ets me through my session. A bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk with creatine and glutamine.