T Nation

Pre-Workout Food?

Due to a change in schedule, I now find myself eating lunch around noon and then not being able to lift until 7PM… and I’m used to eating little to no breakfast and small lunches… then scarfing 2000-3000 calories for dinner. But I also used to lift in the early morning and my “breakfast” would be a small amount of Greek yoghurt, two scoops of Surge Recovery, and maybe some oatmeal… plus my normal meagre lunch, etc. Now it’s just the yoghurt.

Anyway… I’m finding that my lifting in the evenings seems to be hampered be a severe lack of energy versus scarfing a huge meal six hours before waking up and lifting. What do you guys eat before a workout (that’s quick) to ensure you’re at your strongest when you lift?

[quote]animus wrote:
Due to a change in schedule, I now find myself eating lunch around noon and then not being able to lift until 7PM… and I’m used to eating little to no breakfast and small lunches… then scarfing 2000-3000 calories for dinner. But I also used to lift in the early morning and my “breakfast” would be a small amount of Greek yoghurt, two scoops of Surge Recovery, and maybe some oatmeal… plus my normal meagre lunch, etc. Now it’s just the yoghurt.

Anyway… I’m finding that my lifting in the evenings seems to be hampered be a severe lack of energy versus scarfing a huge meal six hours before waking up and lifting. What do you guys eat before a workout (that’s quick) to ensure you’re at your strongest when you lift?[/quote]
Wolf down a few FINiBARs on your way to the gym. A ton of quick sustained energy and easy. Tasty, though I wish they were a little less sweet.

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:

[quote]animus wrote:

Anyway… I’m finding that my lifting in the evenings seems to be hampered be a severe lack of energy versus scarfing a huge meal six hours before waking up and lifting. What do you guys eat before a workout (that’s quick) to ensure you’re at your strongest when you lift?[/quote]
Wolf down a few FINiBARs on your way to the gym. A ton of quick sustained energy and easy. Tasty, though I wish they were a little less sweet.
[/quote]

x2 but I think the taste is great, no complaints. I usually go around 4-5 hours without eating before training since I’m at work, so they give me a good amount of energy without weighing me down in the gym.

Something similar to what you’re eating would be greek yogurt, protein powder and some oats, maybe berries. That’s my favorite thing to eat. I prefer the steel cuts oats texture. It’s easy to throw together, doesn’t need to be cooked and it’s not all that different from what you’re eating now.

Finibars are a good idea. I’ve been meaning to do that too.