Pre-Workout Carbs: Pros & Cons

I keep trying to have carbs prior to my workout in varying forms, and I just find that I am more fatigued. More relaxed and have less intensity to try.

But I do get a better pump and have a stronger finishing rep, ability to push through.

I also feel real bloated drinking PWO during workout no matter how its diluted.

Ive tried solid meals with carbs, liquid p plus c.

still Beef, eggs, prior gives me more energy despite what the science is saying.

anyone else face this problem?

Now that I am on the anabolic diet I’m not eating many carbs at all, pre or post-workout (just Surge) unless it’s on the weekend. However, in the past if I were to eat a heavy meal before a training session I would definitely feel sluggish.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
I keep trying to have carbs prior to my workout in varying forms, and I just find that I am more fatigued. More relaxed and have less intensity to try.

But I do get a better pump and have a stronger finishing rep, ability to push through.
[/quote]

I’m having trouble seeing how you have the ability to “push through” being fatigued with less intensity? Maybe try eating carbs earlier before your workout??

If I were not following a low-carb diet this would be an ideal eating day for me:

9:00 am - Breakfast with moderate carbs
11:00 am - Pre-WO Shake w/ little carbs
1:00 pm - Post-WO Shake Carb loaded
4:00 pm - Snack with little carbs
7:00 pm - Dinner with little carbs
10:00 pm - Bedtime shake w/ zero carbs

How soon before training do you consume the liquid carbs? What quantity? How much liquid is it and how dilute? What is your mothers’ maiden name? Do you like dogs?

Let me elaborate:
Training intensity,
equals HIGH desire to Train, want to rip the weights off in two pieces.

Love bouncing back in between antagonistic muscles

endurance is enhanced, NERVOUS SYSTEM IS PRIMED!

HI DESIRE To finish workout, not lagging toward the end of my legs workout for example.

WHEN I EAT carbs prior, I immediately feel more relaxed,

either a solid meal of turkey , oatmeal and some fruit

or 2 scoops Surge

I feel a little slower, foggy, and not as intense, My nervous system defenitely relaxes with the sugars

I train in the morning around 11 afer eating at 8, Ive tried solid meal meat, eggwhites plus yam, or oats, or flax sprouted bread.

then two hours later have some pre workout Surge at one 2 scoops sipped through my workout with about 1.5 liters of water.

ive tried just the Surge without the solid meal to and that doesn’t go so well.

how can I have a stronger finishing rep?

For instance lets say im resting one minute between front squats and leg curls.

WIth meat breakfast, my endurance and oxygen transfer recovers quicker

with the carb meals the last rep finishes stronger as their is more blood but Im taking longer to recover in between exercises.

make sense if not i’ll elaborate more.

bump

Aren’t you a little new to all of this to be this concerned over your intensity relative to meal timing? If you lose intensity during training because of something you ate- chances are you either aren’t eating enough throughout the day or you’re not getting enough sleep at night.

You aren’t fighting the cause- you’re trying to use a band-aid.

Also- don’t bump. That’s gay.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Aren’t you a little new to all of this to be this concerned over your intensity relative to meal timing? If you lose intensity during training because of something you ate- chances are you either aren’t eating enough throughout the day or you’re not getting enough sleep at night.

You aren’t fighting the cause- you’re trying to use a band-aid.

Also- don’t bump. That’s gay.[/quote]

You know whats gay?
Assuming someones level of experience by their join date or total posts.

All other variables aside (sleep, food ), my body slows down with preworkout carbs, (have you read any of charles poliquins preworkout recomendations? maybe preparing for the ultimate workout?

fyi, ive been training over 10 years and have recovered from a broken back from a snowboarin accident where i was in a wheel chair.

Ive probably been around this site longer than you boss!
My first supplement order was TRIBEX, ribose -c! before their were these forums.

i always feel way more intense after a P+F meal. I think this may have something to do with the testosterone bump? or just the fact that carbs in most people cause spikes in energy in large ammounts.

Weird

I always eat carbs and protein before a workout and I feel fine.

I find if i have some low to moderate gi carbs and a bit of protein before I workout, it seems to give me a good deal of energy compared to carbs alone.

Just don’t eat heavily before you exercise, or wait a bit longer to train.

I would try your “Meat Meal” prior and Surge during your workout.

Not sure how much water you drink during your workout, but try using the same about of liquid w/ Surge.

Or, try having some fast acting protein or BCAA during your workout. (Whey)

I remember reading somewhere that Poliquin use to have his athletes ingest like 20-40 grams of BCAA during workouts and they had huge amounts of success gaining muscle.