The Best Pre-Workout is Hatred

1/4/22 - Legs
Slept okay - 6h 18m, was tired today. Having minor anxiety about cut progress, and this is completely unjustified at the moment. Still not helping anxiety.

Did well with squats today, still hit 365x5 but could only get 375x2 (could probably +1 but didn’t want to risk it). Did some lightweight RDLs pre squat and could move a bit more freely - will have to try it with ham curls next time (blame resolutioners for clogging the equipment). Had to skip quad ext as well due to newbies/text-reps.

Still having programming anxiety/ADD and considering DoggCrapp. Have been eyeing DC training for years and never tried it, although I’ve implemented some of it’s methodology into my own bastardized training. I’m aware that it’s a growth program and I’m cutting.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but everyone says that you lose strength during a cut… so why are my 5RM numbers increasing (except squat (deadlift induced stagnation))? Maybe I’m just not deep enough into my cut to have experienced this, I’m only 12lbs down since my start.

Having trouble keeping myself from squirrelling off today

2 Likes

When did you start? If you’re just a couple hundred calories in deficit I would expect you to be able to get stronger

1 Like

November 8th, so 8 weeks ago with 2 weeks off diet. I’m at ~1000cal daily deficit with 2150cal daily target. I thought this was a little high based on my first few calculations, but my progress is still averaging ~2lbs per week so it all adds up so far.

1 Like

Thats nice and steady. Are you adjusting your deficit the more weight you lose?

1 Like

I’m lowering caloric intake about 50cal every 5lbs (i’m overdue to lower target calories again). I’m also cross-referencing this with the Mifflin-St Jeor equation - it lines up pretty well although not quite as neatly.

I’m going to be over my intake goals for this week, so far i’m over by about 130cal daily… This weekeng I’m going to experiment with some new meal prep recipes to try lowering my carb intake a bit hoping to correct this. Once I figure out a recipe/carb replacement that doesn’t suck, I’ll be back on track and I’ll update my target calories to 2100 in consideration to weight lost.

I’ve never really lost any strength on my cuts to be honest. I’ve had to dial down my training volume or intensity but strength levels don’t drop much for me when keeping protein and big lifts in my plan.

1 Like

Skipping on training today. Tired, sore, and have class. Have been so tired I haven’t implemented any HIIT in the mornings as I wanted to. Gotta figure out what’s up with my sleep.

Looked into DoggCrapp training a LOT today, having trouble finding anything that looks like a complete program though. Read through Cycling for Pennies (condensed) (C4Pc for short) and even read a fair amount of the original manifesto - still I feel like there are inconsistencies.
-Some Youtube videos talking about his methods state there is a deload phase, but i never found this in C4Pc.
-He mentions loaded stretching, but I didn’t see where/when to implement this.
-He also mentions using Rest-Pause (obviously) but doesn’t specify rep range or for which exercises.
Maybe I just didn’t find all the right info (in his words) but ill try more research. I know there is a good article here How to Build 50 Pounds of Muscle in 12 Months I just think it is important to get the exact program in the words of Dante Trudel himself. Will likely post a new thread soon when I get enough info to write out a template/program for review.
Happy to take any links/resources about DC training if anyone has some - will be scouring the DoggCrapp forums for info.

2 Likes

I tried DoggCrapp and absolutely hated it, hated the olw volume and the pressure of the working sets…

BUT i did add a load of strength and mass in (4 or 5 months can’t remember now) of using DC training.

So what I’m saying is, yes it worked for me but i didn’t enjoy that style of training.

1 Like

I’ve already been doing Rest-Pause for some exercises so that won’t be much of a change for me. The loaded stretches will be new (and painful), and the program already echoes a lot of the thoughts I’ve had about training for a while.

I believe both of these statements lol. Thank you for sharing your experience with it!

1 Like

1/6/22 - Pull (no deadlifts)
Slept well, 5h 39m, but was tired because my alarm went off during a deep sleep cycle. Pretty stiff hips from squats the other day.

Solid session. Was able to increase weights on a number of lifts without doing deadlifts first. Didn’t use any pre workout and I tried plazma for the first time - felt good so I might stick with it.

Finished up my DoggCrapp programming. Going to need some more plates at the home gym if this is going to work :sweat_smile:

Wife in surgery next week so I’ll be off work after Monday for aftercare (long story, she’s okay though).

4 Likes

1/7/22 - Push
Slept well, 8h 26m!

Decent workout but had to alternate a few exercises; Incline bench was taken, swapped for DB and changed DB Shoulder Press into Smith Press.
BW 219.6

3 Likes

Paul carter has a DC training block thing you can buy.

1 Like

Ehh i love PCs training but I read his… interactions… on here and idk if I want to support what he does now. I think I have a pretty solid DC plan anyhow, it follows along Trudels program exactly as written. I’d rather be a DC purist first to judge how well it works for me

1 Like

Lol I’m definitely going to look into DC training. The 5/3/1 template I’m running right now is inspired by it. I’m going to stalk your log and see what you come up with.

1 Like

Here’s what I have, but you’re going to need to read Cycling for Pennies if you want to actually run it properly. The exercises are person dependent and you need to know which ones to use, when to switch, progression, etc. Anyways, this is what I have planned:

His writing is a bit crude but it felt like his thoughts were my own - written on paper.

2 Likes

Weekly nutrition

Weight loss over time

I think I’m going to keep carbs lower and bump protein/fats a bit. Only cravings I’ve been having is red meat so :man_shrugging:t3:

Weight: 217.8

3 Likes

I too love red meat. I do find ground turkey to be a better substitute for ground beef than I would have expected. It doesn’t work in every application. Good with spicy dishes.

1 Like

Impressive how you have it all dialed in. Nice work.

1 Like

I’ve tried the ground turkey but the macros weren’t as good as 93% lean ground beef, and it didn’t solve the cravings. It also felt like I was eating some dystopian version of ground beef, which was disconcerting :joy:

4oz ground turkey - 21.2:9.4 (protein:fat ratio)
4oz ground beef - 23.6:7.9 (protein:fat ratio)

Lean ground beef is king lol. I mostly do protein yogurt, lean ground beef, and chicken breast. Occasionally I’ll throw in a pork chop, ribeye or T-Bone but it’s cost/craving dependent.

2 Likes

I love Ribeye and T-bone steaks (my favorite steaks), but damn have they gotten expensive. I thought I got a good deal on T-bone the other day at $12/lb.

Ground turkey is really cheap. 93/7 ground beef is getting up towards $6/lb isn’t it? Could be wrong on that?

I have been delving into chicken thighs. Easier to cook without being dry. I am not super afraid of fat though (in regards to thighs vs breasts). Instapot thighs turn out really well.

1 Like