Pre-WO Shake, Food Before Workout

At the moment Im having a Dextrose/Whey protein/BCAA/creatine mix shake before working out. how long before should i have the shake so its in my system,

Also does anyone have trouble eating shit loads of food then working out??? I eat my last solid meal about 2 hours prior to working out, then a shake 30mins-hour before. but im always yawning and feeling a bit bloated whilst doing the weights.

Heres what ive normally consumed before exercisin (im bulkin)

5 wheatabix with milk
50g protein shake
apple
bannana

3 slices of bread
5 boiled eggs whole

milk
nuts

crap load of pasta with chicken and veg

milk

protein shake with dex etc.

workout

it could be the ‘crap loads of pasta’
If i eat a shit load of pasta immediately I get tired… dont think its the smart thing to do dude, get an insulin crash of note! Maybe eat it after your workout to get the carbs in then?

Save the pasta for after. You want to spike insulin during your workout, NOT spike it beforehand then crash during. Get some quality carbs in that shake like Surge Workout Fuel (or something similar) and drink it 15min beforehand.

Keep the pasta, get a faster acting carb source before you lift (think something sweet like chocolate milk) or if you like supplements then Surge Recovery or Surge WF will work fine.

In the past, I’d eat something ‘light’ about an hour before training, maybe a shake and PB, or a bowl of oatmeal with met drive mixed in. Anything that would feel ‘weighty’ in my stomach would usually mess me up a bit. Last Fall I tried Finibars for the first time, and was shocked that downing 3 of 'em 30 mins before training didn’t upset my stomach in the least. I actually barely felt like I had eaten anything. So while I wouldn’t normally obsess over sources for prot and carbs as much as some folks do, in the pre-workout window, I believe that they can have an effect on your session. (Seriously, who had ever even heard of Rice Oligodextrins before these came out?! -lol)

S

I think a standard BB meal about about an hour before your workout should be standard. Some kind of meat with rice and a little fats and you should be g2g.

I thought it might be the pasta.

I have all the food i listed at work so pasta is good for the lunch boxes. but damn dunno what i can change it with, rice isnt really an option as i cant cook it at work, not sure what its like cooked then chucked in the fridge (plus what would be better white or brown???)

Would maybe a better plan be

12:00 - 100-150g chicken with veg/salad and avacado + nuts

around 13:30 (lunch break) - 500ml milk

14:30 - Whey/dex/bcaa/creatine shake

15:00 workout

16:00 - 16:30 Whey/dex/bcaa/creatine shake

17:00 - Steak, sweet potato, veg

[quote]Bigbossmdk wrote:
Also does anyone have trouble eating shit loads of food then working out??? I eat my last solid meal about 2 hours prior to working out, then a shake 30mins-hour before. but im always yawning and feeling a bit bloated whilst doing the weights.
[/quote]
I eat 9 - 12 oz of meat, and 3 or 4 oz of nuts, 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs before I work out. No issues.

Try it for 1 week, and see how you feel (adjust the portions to your appetite).

If I ate the way you do, I would be dragging my ass. You have to experiment for yourself, as this approach doesn’t seem to be working for you, try a different approach.

how do you mean dragging your ass??? yeah im definately gonna experiment a bit, today instead of pasta and chicken for lunch i had just chicken with veg & an avacado with some nuts, had my shake with the carbs in it about 15-20mins before working out, felt great.

[quote]Bigbossmdk wrote:
how do you mean dragging your ass??? [/quote]

Lethargic, yawning, tired. Not up for my sets.
Taking in whey/dextrose during wasn’t so bad, but it didn’t match BCAA’s for me!