T Nation

Pre-Training Stimulant?

Hey all,

I train in the late afternoon (4:00 - 5:15) after being at work from 6:00 am. I am not always as pumped for a great workout as I need to be. There are a ton of pre-workout things on the market. I use Power Drive every time…it helps but it doesn’t give me the kick I need.

Is there something I can add to the Power Drive pre-workout shake to help? SuperPump 250? or something that actually works ? ? ?

What does everyone else here use? Everyone please list your training day protocol. Pre and Post

Thanks

TKC

About a half hour prior to my 9:00 A.M. workout I have a Spike Shooter. Right before I start my workout I slam two BETA-7 and a handful of BCAA’s. This works great for me.

D

Edit: Post is always Surge, more BCAA’s, and Creatine.

I use take a Spike and 6 Biotest BCAA’s, gatorade during, Surge post

If your on a tight budget take a double shot of expresso with your Power Drive

I just have a scoop of whey before, and after two scoops of whey isolate with 40g of dextrose.
Works for me.

I know there will be a lot of posts regarding how shit this product is, but NO-XPLODE worked great for me.I’m not saying nitric oxide is a great discovery for muscle growth, but in terms of giving a good pre-workout kick i hav not tried anything that works as well.However,one huge drawback is the speed at which you become immune to it.

I just work out.

Usually, I’ll do a peri-workout drink of BCAA’s (15-20 grams) and a scoop of Whey concentrate.

Right now, due to the V-Diet, I’m drinking a ton of water and pushing myself as hard as I can.

With Spike and No-Xplode the kick comes from the caffeine. Same thing basically with all energy drinks. I guess try around and see what works the best.

I like Power Drive (it does wonders for the mind muscle connection in a healthy way), but agree that it doesn’t provide the immediate rush when your not motivated.

What works the best for me is 1-1/2 hours before I work out I take 1-2 TRIBEX pills, then 30 minutes later I take a boku super food drink, and 30 mins later I take a surving of Power Drive. I rarely use any form of caffeine, but the mix of TRIBEX, boku super food powder, and Power Drive gets me ridiculously motivated to lift.

During I take a surving of Surge with 20 grams of BCAA’s powder.

After 2 scoops of Surge and 1 scoop of whey with 15 grams of L-glutamine.

I have seen good results from this routine.

Diet Red Bull, the breakfast uh,… preworkout drink of champions.

S

half of a sugar-free Red Bull. can’t beat it.

[quote]mikepop878 wrote:
half of a sugar-free Red Bull. can’t beat it.[/quote]
Wrong on that count.

'Quila Lime Spike Shooter + caffeine-free Diet Coke = I just beat it. :slight_smile:

To the OP, my only concern would be taking a pre-workout stimulant that late in the day and still getting to sleep five or six hours later. But it’s worth a shot.

12oz black coffee + 1.5g l-tyrosine

I do most of my weight training after 5 p.m. because the school athletes have privilege to the weight room before that.

I have found that a simple 15 minute power nap sometime in the afternoon to be very beneficial. And even if I don’t sleep, just relaxing/meditating for that short time after being in class all day helps my energy levels.

I have also found that if my naps are longer than an hour, I feel even more tired than before the nap.

The extra sleep with Power Drive and 4 Biotest BCAA are how I start my workouts. Throughout the workout, I’ll drink water, some Surge and more BCAAs. And then finish with Surge and BCAAs.

[quote]kcushijima wrote:

I have found that a simple 15 minute power nap sometime in the afternoon to be very beneficial. And even if I don’t sleep, just relaxing/meditating for that short time after being in class all day helps my energy levels.

I have also found that if my naps are longer than an hour, I feel even more tired than before the nap.

[/quote]

I’ve done the nap thing too. I’ll get home from work, walk my pup, pop a Spike, or HOT-ROX (and some whey and oatmeal). Grab a half hour nap, then wake up raring to go.

S

[quote]mikepop878 wrote:
half of a sugar-free Red Bull. can’t beat it.[/quote]

a full can?