Pre-Tension and DE Deadlifts?

When i normally deadlift, I start by pre-tensing. Im not sure if everyone does this, or if its the right way, but basically, i pull a little, and build up tension in my posterior as well as supporting muscles. I feel that this prevents me from jerking the weight off the floor.

What im wondering though, is that if im doing Speed deadlifts, is pretensing a bad idea, or is it ok to pretense, and then explode?

Thank you.

I prefer to go from relaxed to dynamic as quickly as possible, so no pre-tension for me, but I doubt it will seriously affect your training either way. I say do it whichever way is most comfortable and allows you to pull the most.

I ‘pre-tense’ as well, trying to take out the slack in my own body so I don’t yank anything loose. I’m old, you see.

Another fella just dips, grips and rips and that’s what works for him.

Everyone’s got their own style. It really is just a style difference and won’t affect your speed deads. What counts is what happens from the floor to lockout and getting that speed.

If you find it tires you too much to do it for all your sets, then consider dropping the pre-tense (pun intended).

kk thanks guys.

[quote]dankid wrote:
When i normally deadlift, I start by pre-tensing. Im not sure if everyone does this, or if its the right way, but basically, i pull a little, and build up tension in my posterior as well as supporting muscles. I feel that this prevents me from jerking the weight off the floor.

What im wondering though, is that if im doing Speed deadlifts, is pretensing a bad idea, or is it ok to pretense, and then explode?

Thank you.[/quote]

Speed DLs need to be done a little heavier than squat or BP DE so you can “pull the slack out of the bar” or put a little bend in it". i think about 65-75% is right and if speed is OK i will go up as high as 80%. Lats, abs, lower body need to be tight, shoulders and biceps need to be relaxed. Squeeze it off floor then accelerate it over your knees to lockout. Pop you rhips through do not shrug it to lockout.

Grip and rip works for some but not many.

Thanks jackreape.

I did my ME lower day yesterday, and my butt is freaking sore.

I have a few more questions though.

1.) Im pretty sure im more of an elastic person. What i mean, is that i do better at speed, and even with a high percentage of my max, the bar still moves relatively fast. So should my DE work be on the higher end like yo mentioned, maybe 80%.

2.) I was wondering if there is any benefit to some isometric pulls from the floor. Maybe I can work a few of these before my DE lifts, or in between each DE set?

Thanks for the advice guys. I did my first “max” on deadlifts yesterday, and got 335 for 3 reps. My goal as of now is 400 for 3 reps. Im thinking of doing deads for two weeks, and then rack pulls for 2 weeks, and then sumo for 2 weeks. Thanks again.

[quote]jackreape wrote:
dankid wrote:

Thank you.

Speed DLs need to be done a little heavier than squat or BP DE so you can “pull the slack out of the bar” or put a little bend in it". i think about 65-75% is right and if speed is OK i will go up as high as 80%. Lats, abs, lower body need to be tight, shoulders and biceps need to be relaxed. Squeeze it off floor then accelerate it over your knees to lockout. Pop you rhips through do not shrug it to lockout.

Grip and rip works for some but not many.

[/quote]

+1

according to the books, pretensing the muscles at enough % from it’s max (~60%>) lets you reach peek muscle power at the shortest time period.

less then ~60% above ~5% pretension gives a negative effect on the time the muscle takes to reach it’s peak.

starting from relaxed position is more efficient then at low tension according the the muscle strength development speed and pretension graphs in the books.

the difference is in 1/10 or even 1/100 of a second…

this effect could be because of the need for the cns to keep the signals numbing to stay at the low strength percentage and it takes time to stop the blocking of neuron transmission.

What Hanley said.

“The books”?

[quote]dankid wrote:
Thanks jackreape.

I did my ME lower day yesterday, and my butt is freaking sore.

I have a few more questions though.

1.) Im pretty sure im more of an elastic person. What i mean, is that i do better at speed, and even with a high percentage of my max, the bar still moves relatively fast. So should my DE work be on the higher end like yo mentioned, maybe 80%.

2.) I was wondering if there is any benefit to some isometric pulls from the floor. Maybe I can work a few of these before my DE lifts, or in between each DE set?

1. Speed is simply moving the bar fast. if you can move 80%fast then you can use it. Basically the dl needs to be done in under 1 second to be a speed dl.

2. You need to work on your weakness with assistance work. What you mentioned are good things but may or may not address what you need to work on.

My wag guess would be as anewbie you just need ot get stronger and stay basic in your workout.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did my first “max” on deadlifts yesterday, and got 335 for 3 reps. My goal as of now is 400 for 3 reps. Im thinking of doing deads for two weeks, and then rack pulls for 2 weeks, and then sumo for 2 weeks. Thanks again.[/quote]

Ummm… Im a little confused now.