T Nation

Pre-Surgery Workout

Hello all,
Well… time for my 6th knee operation… blech. For the first time I am getting cartilage removed instead of repaired. Anyway, the operation is in three weeks and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a workout for the upper body during that time. I figure I will have one lower body workout a week at low weights to keep things in shape (light up and down motion is ok. Just no twisting and sudden turns.) Thanks!

JF

[quote]Jesus_Freak wrote:
Hello all,
Well… time for my 6th knee operation… blech. For the first time I am getting cartilage removed instead of repaired. Anyway, the operation is in three weeks and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a workout for the upper body during that time. I figure I will have one lower body workout a week at low weights to keep things in shape (light up and down motion is ok. Just no twisting and sudden turns.) Thanks!

JF[/quote]

I have had 4 operations on the left knee which included ACL removal and had the right knee replaced after several operations or scope cleanups. The best advice I can give you is to work your quads as much as possible before the surgery.

Without bending the knee if bending gives you pain, do leg lifts with weight to make sure the muscle around the joint is strong. the stronger your quad is the faster you are going to heal. You can also use cable pulleys to do straight leg pulls as well as bands. As far the upper body goes so anything you can do from a seated position which is almost anything. Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Don’t baby it make it stronger!

Goodness!! What the heck are you guys doing to your knees that you need all those surgeries?!

In October, I had my ACL replaced with a cadaver graft and had most of the meniscus removed. It is almost 100% again. I am hoping this is my only knee surgery…