Pre-Season Basketball Training

for the last 3 years ive been doing all your training methods, from the HP Mass upto your layer system (pre pumping with interset jumps) ive done it all. im purely a performance guy that’s why i was so much drawn to your training, but the last 4 months ive been doing mountaindog training just to know what the rave is all about. being a former skinny bastard myself, im always on the hunt for programs that would add mass to my frame quickly and so i gave in to meadows training. and sure enough ive gained size while still being farly lean.

now basketball season is approaching 2 months from now and i like to go back to purely performance training. i missed doing all the low rep explosive stuffs, olympic lifting and jumping and i think the 6 weeks to superhero program would be the perfect program to do. do you recommend this program as a pre season training for basketball? or do you have any modification on this program or an updated version of it? thanks in advance and hope to hear your inputs

[quote]iron addict wrote:
for the last 3 years ive been doing all your training methods, from the HP Mass upto your layer system (pre pumping with interset jumps) ive done it all. im purely a performance guy that’s why i was so much drawn to your training, but the last 4 months ive been doing mountaindog training just to know what the rave is all about. being a former skinny bastard myself, im always on the hunt for programs that would add mass to my frame quickly and so i gave in to meadows training. and sure enough ive gained size while still being farly lean.

now basketball season is approaching 2 months from now and i like to go back to purely performance training. i missed doing all the low rep explosive stuffs, olympic lifting and jumping and i think the 6 weeks to superhero program would be the perfect program to do. do you recommend this program as a pre season training for basketball? or do you have any modification on this program or an updated version of it? thanks in advance and hope to hear your inputs[/quote]

It’s actually a pretty darn good program for basketball performance since basketball, as a stop-and-go sport requires the capacity to produce power even in a fatigued state.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

now basketball season is approaching 2 months from now and i like to go back to purely performance training. i missed doing all the low rep explosive stuffs, olympic lifting and jumping and i think the 6 weeks to superhero program would be the perfect program to do. do you recommend this program as a pre season training for basketball? or do you have any modification on this program or an updated version of it? thanks in advance and hope to hear your inputs[/quote]

It’s actually a pretty darn good program for basketball performance since basketball, as a stop-and-go sport requires the capacity to produce power even in a fatigued state.[/quote]

thanks for the quick response. i know your training is always evolving, is there any modifications or little tweaks you suggest to further enhance the superhero program? is it fine to incorporate tire filps on the deadlift pattern as a strength-speed or work capacity maybe?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

It’s actually a pretty darn good program for basketball performance since basketball, as a stop-and-go sport requires the capacity to produce power even in a fatigued state.[/quote]

thanks for the quick response. i know your training is always evolving, is there any modifications or little tweaks you suggest to further enhance the superhero program? is it fine to incorporate tire filps on the deadlift pattern as a strength-speed or work capacity maybe?
[/quote]

I would actually only do one pattern per day. The two patterns/day thing is too grueling to allow you to get some basketball practices.

So I’d do:

Deadlift pattern + tire flip in the end

Overhead pattern + Overhead carry (walking with a loaded barbell overhead)

Squat pattern + sprints (sprinting in a fatigued state is actually safer, although you do not perform as well, but when returning to it, it is effective)

Bench pattern + beach work (not mandatory)

i think i can still handle the two patterns a day as im doing a one hard practice session and 1 light shooting session a week for now. i would just cut it to one pattern a day 3 weeks out. your thoughts?

are the additional work you prescribed in every pattern are included in a complex style or are they done separately after you are finished with the pattern?

and also adding bands and chains on strength work ok?