Pre/Post Workout Nutrition for Morning Workouts

Hello all,

I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I wake up to coffee that has brewed at 4:00am and sit down at the tv or whatever to about 4:20 ish and then hit the weights for an hour, shower, and go to work.

I eat a good breakfast once i get to work. I know this isn’t so good for recovery/gains etc so i have scrounged some money together to get some Surge. I am about 5’10 195 lbs and estimating about 15% body fat.

Maybe a tiny bit lower. I was going to take a half a serving during workout and half after. I will add 5 grams of glutamine to first half and 5 grams of creatine to second half. Will this be sufficient?

I know you can always do more but I’m not going to buy any more supplements so any other things should be reg food etc. I can’t just throw another 100 bucks a month at the problem. Thanks for any sugestions!!

Sounds perfect to me.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Sounds perfect to me.[/quote]

Thats great. Thank you for the response. Will the 1/2 serving help with strength endurance levels during the workout? I have always lifted in the PM and the morning switch is noticable. Not as much energy/pump (of course) but i have to say i love the fact of getting it done. If i work late or the baby is sick or whatever i don’t miss a workout. So that is really nice.

It takes some time to get used to switching from PM to AM. I had the same problem when I first switched. Took about a week and a half to adapt.

Surge is 340 calories per serving.

So supplying half a serving to fuel – well, sort of – an hour’s workout is to supply only 170 calories.

That not only isn’t enough to get a positive balance of taking advantage of the muscles’ enhanced ability to absorb nutrients during workouts, but isn’t even coming close to matching up with rate of energy expenditure.

If using a full serving both before and after is too expensive, then I’d suggest trying to come as close as possible by using the half-serving and then adding to it sufficient whey protein and glucose (you can buy it at the health food store) to get the carbs and proteins up to the same as a full serving of Surge, for both the pre and post. It won’t be quite the same thing but surely will be better than relying only on half-servings.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Surge is 340 calories per serving.

So supplying half a serving to fuel – well, sort of – an hour’s workout is to supply only 170 calories.

That not only isn’t enough to get a positive balance of taking advantage of the muscles’ enhanced ability to absorb nutrients during workouts, but isn’t even coming close to matching up with rate of energy expenditure.

If using a full serving both before and after is too expensive, then I’d suggest trying to come as close as possible by using the half-serving and then adding to it sufficient whey protein and glucose (you can buy it at the health food store) to get the carbs and proteins up to the same as a full serving of Surge, for both the pre and post. It won’t be quite the same thing but surely will be better than relying only on half-servings.[/quote]

Thanks Bill for taking the time to give your input. I’ll probably up the dosage.