T Nation

Pre/Post Carbs on Low Carb Diet?

Hi!

Do you use Surge on a low cab diet prior/after workout?

It depends on what your plan is.

For instance, the T-Dawg diet calls for about 100 carbs a day, which means you can easily fit Surge into your PWO strategy.

Other even lower-carb diets like the AD (which calls for 30g per day)makes it impossible to use Surge.

If it fits in with your overall limits, go for it. If not, don’t.

Personally, when cutting down I don’t use any carbs around my workout, just a Protein shake with BCAA’s.

When I do use Surge or similar, I use it after my workout.

Usually. When getting really lean [mid-single digits], I don’t. Then I’ll do a low-carb and probably ketogenic diet. In this case, post-workout supplementaion is BCAAs, glutamine, 1 scoop Power Drive, phosphatidyl, and creatine.

jsbrook no whey?

When I do ‘low carbs’ (not NO carbs), I will keep my morning oatmeal (bout 25g), and keep my PWO carbs (up to 40g). The rest come from ‘incidentals’, which hopefully keeps my daily tally under 100g. I will alternate this with the weekly high day, and even the weekly really low day (no morning oatmeal).

S

I did the strict AD for about 6 weeks and during the week, I’d just use BCAA/whey with some glutamine as my pre/post nutrition. Seemed to work pretty well, I never had much soreness. Then I’d Surge on the weekends.

Now I’ve modified to a more carb lenient approach that I guess isn’t the AD anymore- basically I low carb during the week (<30-40g /day) except on my two workout days where I do P+F all day but have a Surge during my workout then one P+C meal afterwards. It seems to work better for me for whatever reason.

I guess the difference is: strict low carbing (<30g/day) would be better for maximal weight loss or mass gain with minimal fat gains, while the targeted carb (~100g/day) approach will allow for some better recovery and gains due to bracketing your workout with good carbs. Theyre both solid ways to go about gaining while minimizing fat, you just gotta tweak around and see how your body responds to each…

I’m doing the V-diet, and there is NO way I would be able to work out with any significant intensity without having half of my Surge as I warm up, then sip the second half during my workout.

I aim for 30gs of carbs or less a day

I have shifted to having my carbs from Ezekial bread or sweet potato, or even sometimes oatmeal, in the evening about an hour before bed.

I have minimal carbs from fruit post workout but I also take glutamine.

I have noticed that I don’t retain as much water, even during my menstrual cycle (sorry guys.

the shift to carbs at night has even improved my sleep, I sleep through any carb cravings and it will refill my glycogen so I wake up for an early morning lift all nice and replenished

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
the shift to carbs at night has even improved my sleep, I sleep through any carb cravings and it will refill my glycogen so I wake up for an early morning lift all nice and replenished
[/quote]

Seriously? How many, less than 30 you said?

Has this caused any fat gain?

Sounds pretty interesting, OG.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
the shift to carbs at night has even improved my sleep, I sleep through any carb cravings and it will refill my glycogen so I wake up for an early morning lift all nice and replenished

Seriously? How many, less than 30 you said?

Has this caused any fat gain?

Sounds pretty interesting, OG.[/quote]

it hasn’t caused fat gain, I have lost fat eating this way.

my problem before was that I really wasn’t getting enough protein. I ate lots of fruits and vegetables and dairy and carbs but not a lot of meat. I was tired a lot and unfortunately carried too much body fat

I aim for 30gs because sometimes things go over so I have a cusion up to 50gs

OG,

Does your approach put you in Ketosis? Is that your goal at all?

I still don’t know what ‘diet’ will work well for me. I have a rough idea - good idea, actually - of how many cals and macros are in my meals each day, but I need to start tallying and track it for a few days to see it objectively.

I need a choose a goal, first…

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
OG,

Does your approach put you in Ketosis? Is that your goal at all?

I still don’t know what ‘diet’ will work well for me. I have a rough idea - good idea, actually - of how many cals and macros are in my meals each day, but I need to start tallying and track it for a few days to see it objectively.

I need a choose a goal, first…[/quote]

Well… hhmmm I have no idea if I am in ketosis as I don’t have any ketostix.

I don’t know if there is a benefit to being in ketosis, is there?

carbs are just a slippery slope for me, I seem to function well without them so I just don’t include them with deliberation. If I am out and I have a sandwich I don’t freak and jump in front of a bus.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
If I am out and I have a sandwich I don’t freak and jump in front of a bus.

[/quote]

Well, duh. You’d get a $1000 fine in La Jolla for ‘littering’ yourself across the asphalt, baby doll.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
If I am out and I have a sandwich I don’t freak and jump in front of a bus.

Well, duh. You’d get a $1000 fine in La Jolla for ‘littering’ yourself across the asphalt, baby doll.
[/quote]

this is true

but they do have the best sandwiches at Board & Brew