Pre/Peri/Post Workout Nutrition Help

Hello, everyone! This is post #1 for this lurker of a couple months. I have been reading articles and other forum posts, but I wanted an answer tailored to me. I play womens college rugby, and unless I get particularly beat up during practice I generally do some upper body lifting and ab work and what not after practice; my schedule works best this way. I usually try to do most of my lifting on days we donâ??t have practice.

Anyway, I wanted to share my food/supplement plan with you and ask for advice on what to change or keep the same. I mostly want feedback for my pre/peri/post workout nutrition, but I thought I would post my whole day just for more info. My goals are to: lose fat, gain muscle, and become a better rugby player. Thanks everyone!

Recently I have been following this plan:
-Breakfast (10am-ish): creatine, Natural peanut butter w/toast + banana
-Snack (noon-ish): handful of almonds or some fruit w/a small protein source; on cheat days a bagel w/cream cheese.
-Lunch (2pm):something healthy and delicious for lunch (this is my biggest meal). carbs + protein, low fat.
-Pre-rugby (5pm): easily digestable protein; usually a shake. 30mins before practice I have 1 serving MRM BCAA+G 6000. Rugby is two hours long.
-after rugby; before lifting (8pm): 1 serving MRM BCAA+G 6000. (I kind of want to change this, I donâ??t like taking BCAAs, running, then taking more on an empty stomach.)
-Post-Lifting (9-10pm): creatine + whey protein shake.
-Before bed(midnight ish): some real food with micronutrients or Dymatize Elite TX whey/casein shake.

on non rugby days,
-Pre-lifting: 1 serving MRM BCAA+G 6000
-Post-Lifting: creatine + whey protein shake
-Post Cardio: 1 serving MRM BCAA+G 6000 or I just go home and eat a meal.

I’m certainly no expert and am always absorbing info, but it looks like you’re not taking in any carbs in the time immediately before, during, or after you lift. I personally like to have a shake with whey protein and some fruit about an hour or two before lifting, and then something similar immediately after lifting. That’s the best time to replenish your glycogen stores (if you didn’t know that).

I was so intent on cutting down my carb intake, except for pre-game of course, that I completely missed that. I feel a little stupid right now…I’m definitely going to throw in some pre and post carbs. I usually have a slow digesting carb at lunch, such at oatmeal. So that’s one thing. Thanks for your reply! I’m also always trying to absorb info. I figure it gets stored somewhere useful in my brain.

I think you could narrow down a lot of answers in this similar question/answer page I found as well as use this site to get similar knowledge regarding your particular sport.
Game Day Nutrition – It's A Long Road
I follow a similar approach as John but my advice for you would be:

Breakfast (10am-ish): creatine, eggs, coconut milk, banana (think balance: pro/fat/carb)
-Snack (noon-ish): handful of almonds or some fruit w/a small protein source; drop the bagel and bs there are better and more fun sources/cheats)
-Lunch (2pm):something healthy and delicious for lunch (this is my biggest meal). carbs + protein, low fat.
(Good call, leaner protein maybe on the fowl (bird) side with veggies and some sweet potatoe)
-Pre-rugby (5pm): easily digestable protein; usually a shake. 30mins before practice I have 1 serving MRM BCAA+G 6000. Rugby is two hours long.
-after rugby; before lifting (8pm): 1 serving MRM BCAA+G 6000. (I kind of want to change this, I donâ??t like taking BCAAs, running, then taking more on an empty stomach.)
(You can do this but its almost like fasted training at this point due to the fact that probably mostly all of what you have eaten has been broken down and used. I would actually hang tough and make your snack a little later have lunch around 330 then use the shake between your Rugby and lifting.)
-Post-Lifting (9-10pm): creatine + whey protein shake.
(Again I think it would be best to eat regular actual food post training similar to what you had for lunch. You are eating a little too late with the dinner. I dont think it would take long for you to start gaining bad weight on this type of eating. Unless thats your goal.)
-Before bed(midnight ish): some real food with micronutrients or Dymatize Elite TX whey/casein shake.

not trying to be a salesperson, but some Surge Workout Fuel/Surge Recovery would do wonders for your Pre/Peri/Post Workout Nutrition.