Pre-Mixing Protein Shakes

Does anyone mix their shake before the gym or work? If so, how long is it usually good for? In my case I’m using OJ and vanilla whey. It will be kept cool in the trunk of my car or the fridge at work.

You’ll be fine.

The first thing to go bad is usually the taste or texture, so I wouldn’t worry about it unless you notice a difference in one of these.

OJ and whey is fine…I would be careful pre-mixing whey and milk. I did that shit once in college. It tasted fine…no issues until I went to the bathroom…needless to say I never made protein shakes with milk again. EVER!Nothing to do with me being lactose intolerant as I am not.

I like to put the protein in the shaker and then whenever i am ready just add ice and water.

Does something in the OJ help?

[quote]robmartinez09 wrote:
I went to the bathroom…needless to say I never made protein shakes with milk again. EVER!Nothing to do with me being lactose intolerant as I am not.

I like to put the protein in the shaker and then whenever i am ready just add ice and water.[/quote]

Same issue here. I don’t consider myself lactose intolerant (i eat plenty of cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc) but sometimes milk just messes with my stomach so I only use water in my shakes.

I think I read this in one of Dr. Berardi’s articles or maybe his cook book but he was saying that the only way to alter the whey is to cook it at EXTREMELY high levels of heat.

I pre-mix my shakes the night before so they’re ready to go in them morning.

[quote]KersMTN wrote:
Does something in the OJ help?[/quote]

Yes acid.; acidity retards oxidation , so does cold.

And once you mix that protein powder with water it is beginning to spoil pretty quickly unless it’s vacuum packed…it’s actually oxidizing even when it’s dry, just much more slowly. Water is the most common accelerant of oxidation, which is what spoils food. This is why dried foods like powders or jerky or fruits last so long. But once you hydrate them all bets are off and the warmer they are and the more air they’re exposed to the faster they’ll spoil(oxidize)

Doesn’t mean you can’t mix your shake before but be aware that you ARE accelerating oxidation because now you have a wet food exposed to air. That in mind you will do better by refrigerating it and sealing it well with as little air as possible- for example a clean, glass screw cap bottle filled ALL THE WAY to the top, with no air, will help to slow spoilage.

Extreme heat is clearly not the only way to denature protein as just smelling a shaker bottle after a day will tell you…
And speaking of shaker bottles : why pre-mix a shake anyway when these things exist ? I lived for years using small mason jars with dry protein portions in them and mixing as needed.

Bump.

I was planning on making multiple servings of a 1000 cal/serving shake containing milk, yogurt, PB, chocolate syrup, and whey protein powder, to save time. If the mixture was in the fridge for 3 days would oxidation/ spoiling be an issue? What would be a safe time period?

[quote]swivel wrote:

[quote]KersMTN wrote:
Does something in the OJ help?[/quote]

Yes acid.; acidity retards oxidation , so does cold.

And once you mix that protein powder with water it is beginning to spoil pretty quickly unless it’s vacuum packed…it’s actually oxidizing even when it’s dry, just much more slowly. Water is the most common accelerant of oxidation, which is what spoils food. This is why dried foods like powders or jerky or fruits last so long. But once you hydrate them all bets are off and the warmer they are and the more air they’re exposed to the faster they’ll spoil(oxidize)

Doesn’t mean you can’t mix your shake before but be aware that you ARE accelerating oxidation because now you have a wet food exposed to air. That in mind you will do better by refrigerating it and sealing it well with as little air as possible- for example a clean, glass screw cap bottle filled ALL THE WAY to the top, with no air, will help to slow spoilage.

Extreme heat is clearly not the only way to denature protein as just smelling a shaker bottle after a day will tell you…
And speaking of shaker bottles : why pre-mix a shake anyway when these things exist ? I lived for years using small mason jars with dry protein portions in them and mixing as needed.
[/quote]

OMG is that your foot?

^looks like a hand to me, but I have long toes, so I’m not judging :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
Bump.

I was planning on making multiple servings of a 1000 cal/serving shake containing milk, yogurt, PB, chocolate syrup, and whey protein powder, to save time. If the mixture was in the fridge for 3 days would oxidation/ spoiling be an issue? What would be a safe time period?[/quote]
Any good quality food should last in the fridge for 3 days :slight_smile: I don’t see any issues with that. Just make sure it’s in a sealed container, to preserve the life of the mixture and to avoid it from absorbing odors.

Oh, also you could consider putting keffir cultures in the milk to make keffir and it will prevent it from going bad. You have to leave the milk out overnight at room temp though, but any bac. growth will be the good kind. Just a thought.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Oh, also you could consider putting keffir cultures in the milk to make keffir and it will prevent it from going bad. You have to leave the milk out overnight at room temp though, but any bac. growth will be the good kind. Just a thought.[/quote]

I’ve heard this somewhere, do you have any sources about this process?

Here’s a video I found on the subject:

Now do those grains come in kefir and you can just mix milk into it?

Thanks bulletprooftiger, but I was more concerned with the whey protein oxidizing when hydrated, like swivel was explaining.

I’ve never heard about whey protein oxidation being an issue. I would personally be more worried about the bacterial issues… you know that smell in the container from after a few days? Oxidation is more of an issue with fats, and it’s not an issue from 2-3 days.

mercola.com/forms/kefir.htm

[quote]Brian14 wrote:
Bump.

I was planning on making multiple servings of a 1000 cal/serving shake containing milk, yogurt, PB, chocolate syrup, and whey protein powder, to save time. If the mixture was in the fridge for 3 days would oxidation/ spoiling be an issue? What would be a safe time period?[/quote]

ive done this with whey and water and whey and milk .ive left them in the fridge for up to 3 days and they were perfect

I wonder if OJ + whey is really fine. Any shake that involves acidic fruits and dairy protein, I find I must drink it right away, because it quickly becomes bitter as the acids in the fruit denatures the protein. I’m sure it’s not harmful that it’s predigested like that, it just tastes like vomit.

So, Greek yogurt + mango + vanilla extract = delicious, but only for a few minutes, then yuk.

I do make shakes with Metabolic Drive and non-acidic stuff like peanut butter, pumpkin, etc., and they are fine if they are kept COLD, for maybe 3 days. After that, they start to develop a noticeable fermented flavor. I think it’s not gonna kill anyone, but I don’t like the taste. Also, they RAPIDLY ferment and rot in warm temperatures. I lost track of one in a hot car one time, and whoa the stench. Also, the gases formed by fermentation can blow the lid right off the bottle. But I don’t see oxidation as being a problem, and they are fine for several days.

Why dont you just add the water/OJ and shake just before you drink it? Is time management such an issue for you?

tweet tweet