Pre Meet Prep

Hey Jim, I’m prepping for my first full meet this August using 5/3/1. In the meet prep section of the book, I see you didn’t list any specific % of 1RM or 1RTM to use for the 3x3, 3x5, and 5/3/1 pre-meet and meet cycles, only for the singles. Are there any % guidelines you suggest following for these last two 4 week cycles before the meet?

Thanks. Great book BTW.

They are the same % as the 531 program.

just saw this and had a question. I’m doing a pre-meet prep and it says in the powerlifting book "“Don’t push the last sets of the 5/3/1 training too hard; you can go for more reps than intended but donâ??t go to failure. Introduce singles into your training.”

does that mean just do prescribed reps on the 3 week and 5 week? Or still do the +sets but not push as hard?

[quote]stt816 wrote:
just saw this and had a question. I’m doing a pre-meet prep and it says in the powerlifting book "“Don’t push the last sets of the 5/3/1 training too hard; you can go for more reps than intended but donâ??t go to failure. Introduce singles into your training.”

does that mean just do prescribed reps on the 3 week and 5 week? Or still do the +sets but not push as hard?[/quote]

You can do more reps than intended but don’t go to failure.

thanks jim, one more question…
for the pre meet,meet prep, and the actual meet I need to pick a goal. How do you go about this? I looked in the book and couldn’t find an answer. Do you go by your gym pr’s and add to that?

thanks again

[quote]stt816 wrote:
thanks jim, one more question…
for the pre meet,meet prep, and the actual meet I need to pick a goal. How do you go about this? I looked in the book and couldn’t find an answer. Do you go by your gym pr’s and add to that?

thanks again[/quote]

I don’t know how to say this other than “pick a goal”. Obviously this is something you choose based on your training experience and/or prior meets. Do the same thing you do for your own training: I’m sure you had a performance goal for each lift prior to doing a meet. Just remember that you don’t have to blow your Goal Load in your first meet. Set reasonable goals to accomplish and understand that there will be dozens of more meets in your future.