Pre-Interview Technical Test

I applied for a job recently and was contacted to set up a time for a technical test. I have never heard of this before and have no idea what it will be about. The position called for proficiency with a couple of different software packages, as well as strong mathematical skills.

For anyone with experience with such tests do you think I will get quizzed on the software? Or maybe I’ll have to solve DE’s or analyze some data? Or can I expect a general aptitude test? thanks.

I have done technical tests before. The ones I did showed a screenshot of the software and then asked you where you would click to do a certain function. Mine was just for Word and Excel, as well as a typing test. It was very easy, although Word & Excel have a lot of features I’ve never heard of.

Depends on the level of skill required for the job.

Is it trades, engineering, or a business type of screening test?

Chances are good that if you said what type of field, someone on here has taken a test similar to it. I did the one for the steamfitters over the winter, and it was all about pemdas.

It is for an entry level engineering job.

They are usually java applet simulations of a real program or software suite.

Sometimes its Excel/Word/etc.

For engineering, I would assume it would be some kind of CAD program? I’m not sure as I have no experience in engineering. Perhaps software you’ve used in school…

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
The position called for proficiency with a couple of different software packages, as well as strong mathematical skills.
[/quote]

This sounds like a screening tool, so they probably aren’t interested in how good you are with the software, just that you know how to use it. If you do, you move on.

The aptitude test, if they have one (and they should) will probably come later, assuming you pass the screening.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I have done technical tests before. The ones I did showed a screenshot of the software and then asked you where you would click to do a certain function. Mine was just for Word and Excel, as well as a typing test. It was very easy, although Word & Excel have a lot of features I’ve never heard of. [/quote]

I took the Word/Excel ones last week…there were a couple of times it took me a while to figure out how to do what they wanted. I was used to doing them a different way, but the program wouldn’t allow it.