T Nation

Pre-Deployment Program

Well I just got word that I will be deploying and by May I will be in California. In the meantime, I got 3 months to bust my ass…but I’d still like to add muscle/get bigger.

I was seeing if I could get some help in making a program. I got one week left of the Russian Squat Program then I’ll start a program that will hopefully add size and improve speed/endurance.

I was thinking something like this: (With a little inspiration from the article "Sprinting Towards Single Digit Body Fat)

Monday - AM: Speed work PM: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Tuesday- Legs/Back/Biceps
Wednesday: Off
Thursday - AM: 3 Mile Run PM: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Friday - AM: Speed Work PM: Legs/Back/Bis
Saturday: Speed Work or sometimes I may do strongman workouts
Sunday: Off

As far as my diet goes, I don’t plan on counting much just eating a lot of solid clean foods 6-7 times/day with one cheat meal a week.

orders to where?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
orders to where?[/quote]

Will be in California by May and by August-September in Afghanistan.

1. I’d move your 3 mile run to an Off day, or directly after one of your speed days. And are your speed days actual workouts from Erick Minor’s article, or do you mean stuff like 400m running… stuff like that?

2. In my opinion with all the running, you shouldn’t have two days of Legs, unless your recovery is pretty good. For me, when I’m doing lots of running, I keep it to one day of legs for basically maintenance. But you can try it and see how you feel.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

1. I’d move your 3 mile run to an Off day, or directly after one of your speed days. And are your speed days actual workouts from Erick Minor’s article, or do you mean stuff like 400m running… stuff like that?[/quote]

I could move the 3 mile run to Saturday. Also, for speed work it is anything from 400m to 50m sprints, 100m farmer walks/sprints, sprints with weighted vest (to get more use to running with flak), I may be able to get a hold of a prowler pusher. and anything else I can come up with.

I only had two days of legs because my legs are my weak point (squats) I can give legs 1x/week a try and see if I am still progressing.

why don’t you make shit easy and follow defrancos west side for skinny bastards? (he has templates for including strong man/sprinting all that jazz) Just up the max effort lift to say 6-8 reps. :slight_smile:

[quote]S C 0 0 Z E wrote:
Well I just got word that I will be deploying and by May I will be in California. In the meantime, I got 3 months to bust my ass…but I’d still like to add muscle/get bigger.
[/quote]

i’m no expert certainly, But if I was being deployed to a combat zone then I would talk to some veterans to get their opinion on what physical characteristics they needed the most to be an effective soldier, then worry about looking huge after you have achieved that goal. Might be worthwhile.

Not knowing what your actual job is, along with having no idea where you are going in Afghanistan (as it should be), it is really hard to give you a good idea of what you should be doing. If you are doing stuff like dismounted patrols then you probably want to spend a lot of time with that weighted vest and a ruck, maybe holding on to something that weighs about 7.5 pounds.

If you are going to be spending all your time in a vehicle then you probably just want to be strong enough to load a bunch of stuff into that vehicle. If you are going to be on a base all the time then I wouldn’t worry about it too much, you’ll have plenty of time to do stuff when you are there.

Lastly, if you are going to be subsisting mostly on MREs, which is pretty rare at this point, make sure to put on a bit of weight before you cause you’re going to skinny up a bit.

I was seeing if I could get some help in making a program. I got one week left of the Russian Squat Program then I’ll start a program that will hopefully add size and improve speed/endurance.

I was thinking something like this: (With a little inspiration from the article "Sprinting Towards Single Digit Body Fat)

Monday - AM: Speed work PM: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Tuesday- Legs/Back/Biceps
Wednesday: Off
Thursday - AM: 3 Mile Run PM: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Friday - AM: Speed Work PM: Legs/Back/Bis
Saturday: Speed Work or sometimes I may do strongman workouts
Sunday: Off

As far as my diet goes, I don’t plan on counting much just eating a lot of solid clean foods 6-7 times/day with one cheat meal a week.
[/quote]

In my opinion you have too many goals at one time. You want to loose fat and get bigger??? If you have both these goals (bigger and leaner) at the same time, you’ll likely not do really well at either. It’s like one of those washing machines with a built in dryer, they’re crap at either job (especially the drying bit).

I don’t know if it’s just me (no pun intended there lol)…but I can’t stand it when authors, like in that article) say;

“oh, look at sprinters - they have a good body, so let’s do what they do!”

Bodybuilding is not complicated. And it’s not just all about “shaping up” (losing 10lbs of fat and gaining 10lbs of muscle), or “getting fit”. This isn’t the conditioning forum either.

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
I don’t know if it’s just me (no pun intended there lol)…but I can’t stand it when authors, like in that article) say;

[/quote]

It is not that, I have always done speed work/sprints and have had good experience with them. Mostly just how I set my days/schedule up were slightly inspired by that article.

[quote]its_just_me wrote:

[/quote]

It is not that, I have always done speed work/sprints and have had good experience with them. Mostly just how I set my days/schedule up were slightly inspired by that article.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with choosing to sprint as cardio, but I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on it…especially wouldn’t put sprints before lifting. Better to prioritise the “heavy” stuff first.

Also, that is quit a lot of running/sprinting for a program where you want to add some size too. I don’t know what your metabolism is like, but if I trained like that and wanted size at the same time, I’d probably need like 6000+ cals lol. That’s if I was even recovering well between workouts…

Afganistan in the summer… drink water.

Are you a pogue or in an alpha unit?

I’m just going to go with Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program because it is simple and I can do 3 days of conditioning. I can just make one of those a long distance day instead of the prowler or sprints.

I’ll most likely do the Big but Boring assistance work but had a question. Is it OK to do pull ups on Monday with shoulders and deadlift on Tuesday? I ask this because I was just going to follow the example given in the book which looked something like this:

Monday:
Military Press
Military Press 5x10
Pull Ups

Tuesday:
Deadlift
Deadlift 5x10
Hanging Leg Raise

Thursday:
Bench
Bench 5x10
DB Rows

Friday:
Squat
Squat 5x10
Leg Curl (or prob GHR)

[quote]NvrTooLate wrote:
Afganistan in the summer… drink water.

Are you a pogue or in an alpha unit?[/quote]

I am an 03.

I’m guessing that means you’re a pogue then. I wouldn’t worry about it a ton in that case. And yes, you can do pullups and shoulders the day before deadlifts.

hey man, fellow 03, army type. Is this your first deployment? Look into where you’re going. Depending on the FOB/COB/Airbase situation and your job field, you may have a way better training experience once you actually deploy. Once you are off work/off the road/out of the toc/(what ever you do) you don’t have shit to do but work out and you can eat all you want and take all you want in to-go con containers from the DFAC.

All depends on what you’re doing over there.