Pre Dawn of Man: Lifting Before Eating

How bad is it that i lift without eating in the morning? I am not concerned with getting bigger.

Not bad at all. And since you don’t want to get bigger, stop eating period.

Why wouldn’t you eat? Even chug a glass of whey?

When you first wake up your in a state of catabolism. If you lift without getting out of the state, your body will most likely use your muscle for fuel(I think). Can any1 else confirm that?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:

When you first wake up your in a state of catabolism. If you lift without getting out of the state, your body will most likely use your muscle for fuel(I think). Can any1 else confirm that? [/quote]

It will use both fat and muscle for fuel. If you’re looking to lose fat and don’t mind sacrificing muscle then go for it. For most of us here of course, it’s blasphemous.

BTW, what the hell does “Pre Dawn of Man” have to do with any of this?

Working out before eating breakfast works for aerobic exercise to increase fat loss.
However,it’s very counterproductive for strength training. If you keep it up, eventually all of your lifts will plateau prematurely and you will be consistently tired and sore all the time.
Don’t worry about getting big, getting big takes HARD WORK. I you don’t want it, you’ll never get it.

I train at 5a every morning and have a real hard time eating anything before I lift, mainly because the thought of food that early and half asleep fouls me out. I’m trying to drop fat and maintain muscle, so far so good but I do eat 4 eggs and have a shake right after I get done. Not sure if it’s right but I’m working with it for now.

[quote]hated wrote:
… I am not concerned with getting bigger. [/quote]

Then why are you lifting?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
[/quote]

I agree with tw0scoops here… no reason you shouldn’t be able to down a quick shake before the gym.

Also - I used to be the same way in regards to not being hungry in the morning, even to the point where the thought of food was unappealing before I was awake for a few hours. For about a month I forced myself to eat breakfast first thing every morning, and now I feel like shit if I dont get something in my system right away.

Force yourself to do it, and it will become a part of your every day routine without even thinking about it.

[quote]kroby wrote:
hated wrote:
… I am not concerned with getting bigger.

Then why are you lifting?[/quote]

I’m big enough. I don’t want more size. I’m 5’7 and 220. Who want’s to be bigger than that. I simply want to remain muscular. Actually what i want is to get rid of the pounds i’ve gained since I stopped cycling.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
Working out before eating breakfast works for aerobic exercise to increase fat loss.
However,it’s very counterproductive for strength training. If you keep it up, eventually all of your lifts will plateau prematurely and you will be consistently tired and sore all the time.
Don’t worry about getting big, getting big takes HARD WORK. I you don’t want it, you’ll never get it.[/quote]

I seem to gain size easily. So it is something that I’m concerned with.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

When you first wake up your in a state of catabolism. If you lift without getting out of the state, your body will most likely use your muscle for fuel(I think). Can any1 else confirm that?

It will use both fat and muscle for fuel. If you’re looking to lose fat and don’t mind sacrificing muscle then go for it. For most of us here of course, it’s blasphemous.

BTW, what the hell does “Pre Dawn of Man” have to do with any of this? [/quote]

Nothing. I just like to throw in Caveman comments.

[quote]hated wrote:
kroby wrote:
hated wrote:

I’m 5’7 and 220. Who want’s to be bigger than that.[/quote]

You’d be surprised.

[quote]hated wrote:
kroby wrote:
hated wrote:

I’m big enough. I don’t want more size. I’m 5’7 and 220. Who want’s to be bigger than that. I simply want to remain muscular. Actually what i want is to get rid of the pounds i’ve gained since I stopped cycling.

[/quote]

You figured out what to do without knowing it. Your caloric need has dropped since you’ve quit cycling. Either increase your caloric need (cycle or some other cardio exercise) or decrease your daily caloric intake. A good month off from lifting won’t decrease your muscle size to any significant degree.

Tube steak boogie.

[quote]kroby wrote:
hated wrote:
kroby wrote:
hated wrote:

You figured out what to do without knowing it. Your caloric need has dropped since you’ve quit cycling. Either increase your caloric need (cycle or some other cardio exercise) or decrease your daily caloric intake. A good month off from lifting won’t decrease your muscle size to any significant degree.

Tube steak boogie.[/quote]

I’m doing a little of both. I’ve gotten a diet together, so there’s that. The other part is that because of life stuff I can’t ride a bike, and I can’t run due to a foot injury. that is due to weight gain. I’ve gained 40 pounds in the last year. From lifting and eating whatever I want. I’ve realized that I don’t want to be big, so I’m cutting back on lots. I just figured that I could cheat a little and lift before eating, to cut down my overall size…YES. LOSE MUSCLE AND FAT. I just wanted a clear answer to whether or not lifting before eating would help with that. Obviously I could concentrate on getting my bf% low before even worrying about that…I recognize that, but I thought I’d ask.