Pre-Boot Camp Routine Needed

Alright guys I come from a SS 5x5 Intermediate background and now I must prepare for boot camp.

I haven’t been long on the intermediate program, I actually just switched less than a month ago after topping out on SS.

I’ve been loving the program so far, except I have done some research and came to the conclusion that I may not be training myself for what is ahead of me. Sure I will gain strength, but I know for fact that boot camp will have me do way to many pull ups, mile runs and push ups and quite frankly, 5x5 bench/row/squat just doesn’t sound like the kind of endurance I will need.

I’ve been given advice like perfecting core and back work since that is very important. Some people who have gone to boot camp have also advised me to drop quad development because large quads require loads of energy to function and will cause major pain with all the running that is done.

I know, dropping the squat sounds crazy, but I do believe that guy out of fear of having to large quads by this summer and so would like another opinion on a good training routine to follow and prepare myself for boot camp.

Now, I’ll just add that I would like, if possible, to stay on the 5x5 theory because I do enjoy the v/r/i system. I was thinking perhaps a stronger emphasis on back/core compound work.

For example, here is what I thought of a good routine to follow:

Monday - Volume
deadlift
incline bench
bent over row

Wednesday - Recovery
front squats
military press
pull ups

Friday - Intensity
deadlift
incline bench
bent over row

As you can see this provides mostly back/core movements while still exercising the legs and respecting the compound movement oriented routine.

I may not gain strength as quickly as my current program, but my goals are slightly different. I will surely get back onto the 5x5 intermediate after boot camp, but for now I need to prepare myself.

Let me know what you think.

I would definitely look into something like Crossfit to help you get ready. Everyone in the military and law enforcement seem to be going ga-ga for it, and it includes a lot of what you’ll be doing in basic: push ups, pull ups, burpees, running, etc. It still incorporates some lifting, but to be honest you’re not going to be getting much lifting done in boot camp. I would focus more on endurance and conditioning to help you get ready for that.

Other than that your routine looks pretty solid, though you might want to stay away from deadlifting twice a week as this will beat you up fast.

Just my 2 cents.

Yup, Crossfit with lots of extra pushups, pullups, situps, and running in boots and pants. I would gradually work into the running to avoid stress fractures/shin splints/foot blisters.

How much time do you have?

Unless you need to pre-hab/re-hab something, you need to spend more quality time with plenty of reps on bodyweight exercises and running. You can still supplement with lifting but get in your reps. Once you finish boot camp and get to your unit then get back to lifting.

Take a look at workouts from Stew Smith, Train for Strength, Ross Boxing or Navy Seal Prep.

Marine Boot?

I’ve been in the Marines for 3 years now, only 2 left, yay.

Honestly dude DO NOT worry about it, it isn’t that bad at all.

Can you run 3 miles in under 24 minutes or so? If so, relax, you’ll be fine.

I stopped lifting and did nothing but Drink for almost a year before I left for Boot, then when I signed up, I ran twice a week for a month and did a max set of pull-ups every other day.

So unless you are just terrible at pull-ups or chins(you can do either) and can’t run, DO NOT worry. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Bryan

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Yup, Crossfit with lots of extra pushups, pullups, situps, and running in boots and pants. I would gradually work into the running to avoid stress fractures/shin splints/foot blisters.

How much time do you have?[/quote]

I’ve got about 6 months.

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
I would definitely look into something like Crossfit to help you get ready. Everyone in the military and law enforcement seem to be going ga-ga for it, and it includes a lot of what you’ll be doing in basic: push ups, pull ups, burpees, running, etc. It still incorporates some lifting, but to be honest you’re not going to be getting much lifting done in boot camp. I would focus more on endurance and conditioning to help you get ready for that.

Other than that your routine looks pretty solid, though you might want to stay away from deadlifting twice a week as this will beat you up fast.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

The idea was to replace the squat with the deadlift. What do you recommend I put in to replace the second deadlift?

I checked out crossfit. The following seems to be a beginner routine

Seems kinda light thhough…

[quote]thekrown wrote:
I checked out crossfit. The following seems to be a beginner routine

Seems kinda light thhough…[/quote]

You can probably just start right in with WODs. Start slow at first so you don’t kill yourself.

What are you planning to do in the Marines? I wouldn’t worry about having big quads - they’d get decently big from carrying your battle load/road marching anyway.