Pre-Bed Smoothie

I was drinking a smoothie that consisted of 1 cup lowfat milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of Stonyfield lowfat strawberry yogurt, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, and a banana. I was told to ditch the berries and banana and then told to ditch the milk. I’m new to all of this and ng like cottage cheese blended, not right out of the tub. Any suggestions on a good pre bedtime smoothie? I tried a search and didn’t get what I was lookifor.

[quote]toughone wrote:
I was drinking a smoothie that consisted of 1 cup lowfat milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of Stonyfield lowfat strawberry yogurt, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, and a banana. I was told to ditch the berries and banana and then told to ditch the milk. I’m new to all of this and ng like cottage cheese blended, not right out of the tub. Any suggestions on a good pre bedtime smoothie? I tried a search and didn’t get what I was lookifor.[/quote]

If you are looking to cut–late night carbs are usually a no-no.
If you are bulking, keep the fruit.

I will add this though:
If your biggest mistake nutritionally is a little fruit at night, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

[quote]toughone wrote:
I was drinking a smoothie that consisted of 1 cup lowfat milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of Stonyfield lowfat strawberry yogurt, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, and a banana. I was told to ditch the berries and banana and then told to ditch the milk. I’m new to all of this and ng like cottage cheese blended, not right out of the tub. Any suggestions on a good pre bedtime smoothie? I tried a search and didn’t get what I was lookifor.[/quote]

Something that Works for me is:
25-50 Grams of a Fast,Medium & Slow Realease protein blend(Whey,Soy & casein)that are high in the critical 5 ammino acids(glutamine, arginine and BCCA’s: leucine, isoleucine, and valine.)and dont worry about the other 13 ammino acids that they will consist of. Dump this into about 12oz. of reg. milk or choc. milk. Them top with half a cup of blueberry’s, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons flaxseed. This is TC’s Power Foods, The Magic 13: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=867137

Enjoy,

Dragon

I eat a tin of tuna mixed with a cup of cottage cheese and a little low fat thousand island dressing yum :wink:

Go with a simple protein shake and take the guess work out of it. You want something that will digest slowly since you will be fasting while you sleep. Hence casein or if you’re going to use whey, drink it with the lowfat milk to slow digestion. You’re best bet would be a multi species blend.

Right now I am drinking a shake with 2 scopps Metabolic Drive, probably about a 1/2 C of cottage cheese and some cinnamon. Keeps me satiated all through the night and I usually don’t even wake up hungry.

1.5 cups chocolate milk
1 Scoop Chocolate Whey
1 Scoop Chocolate Casein
LOTS of Natural PB.
Handful of walnuts.
Toss some flax seed in too.

Bam, tastes like a freakin’ Reese’s cup.

You’re not going to like this on paper, but you should try it. It tastes great, and fills you up for a few hours. Actually, it’s my morning smoothie, but no reason you couldn’t have it before bedtime. Call it a high-fiber protein/EFA shake.

5 oz canned Alaskan salmon
2 tbsp golden flax seeds
2 tbsp lecithin granules
2 tbsp miller’s wheat bran
1 tbsp oat bran
1 tbsp psyllium
1/2 tbsp apple pectin
1 tbsp Barleen’s Greens
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups water

Drink some extra water after downing this one. You’ll need to rinse out the blender anyway, so swill an extra cup or two of water in it and chug.

A can of tuna works equally well in lieu of the salmon, or if you’re a wimp you can substitute the protein powder of your choice.

To cut prep time, premix a week’s worth of the dry ingredients, so you just have to scoop out slightly more than 1/2 cup of dry mix per shake.

[quote]Dragon wrote:

Something that Works for me is:
25-50 Grams of a Fast,Medium & Slow Realease protein blend(Whey,Soy & casein)that are high in the critical 5 ammino acids(glutamine, arginine and BCCA’s: leucine, isoleucine, and valine.)and dont worry about the other 13 ammino acids that they will consist of. Dump this into about 12oz. of reg. milk or choc. milk. Them top with half a cup of blueberry’s, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons flaxseed. This is TC’s Power Foods, The Magic 13: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=867137

Enjoy,

Dragon
[/quote]

Youre recommending SOY!!!

My ultimate goal is to bulk up. I currently weigh 153 lbs. and am looking to hit 170. The big thing is that I don’t mind knocking out the fruit. (but if it will assist in bulking than I will keep it) but others have said how lowfat milk has a high GI and you shouldn’t consume that at night.

I’m probably making this out to be harder than it is but I’m learning and just want to do it right and quite frankly sometimes all the articles can be overwhelming. But I’m trying

My nighttime “snack” is 250g of minced meat with some butter and spices in the stove and 4-5 hard-boiled eggs.

(my english shows a few weaknesses when I try to explain what i eat… what is the correct term for “hard-boiled”? :slight_smile: )

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
My nighttime “snack” is 250g of minced meat with some butter and spices in the stove and 4-5 hard-boiled eggs.

(my english shows a few weaknesses when I try to explain what i eat… what is the correct term for “hard-boiled”? :slight_smile: )[/quote]

There’s no problem with your English. “Hard boiled eggs” is the correct term.