Pre Bed Nutrition

CATABOLISM

Do I even have to reiterate why it is important to consume an intelligent meal before the eternal fast we undertake daily as we go to sleep.  With that in mind I have come up with a shake, which attempts to cover each nutritional base of this daily dilemma. These are my personal serving go ahead and adjust to you're caloric needs.

40 g Casine/Whey protein (Chocolate flavor)
2 tablespoons coconut milk
2 tablespoons almond milk

I have also tried to put some sort of fiber on this shake so that I can retard the protein digestion, but that just makes the protein shake taste horrible. So I just pop in some broccoli before I take my shake. Why retard protein digestion? So It can be in my system longer that’s why. Oh yeah I won’t even try to put some fish oil inside the shake either, thus I also pop in 5 grams of fish oil just before my shake.

So why in the world did I put what I put in my shake?

Coconut milk- Coconut milk has the highest amount of medium chain triglycerides (MCT?s) which is a medium chained saturated fat: and coming from the all knowing Dr. John Berardi in Lean Eatin’ - Part II of 2002: “MCT’s, due to their medium chain length, are easily oxidized by skeletal muscle. This is due to the fact that MCT’s are quickly and easily transported to the fat furnace, the mitochondrion. As a result, research (Hill et al 1989) has demonstrated that TEF (thermogenic effect) with MCTs is double that of other fats, making it comparable to protein in this regard.”

So I will get a nice TEF effect with a small chance of fat storage. So why would I want saturated fats in my shake anyway. Well again with JB in the Fat round table of Sep 29 2000: “When dieting, I think that only 10 to 15% of your total fat intake should come from saturates. But when trying to increase mass, you need to take the saturates up to about 30 to 35% of total fats. I say this because there’s data to suggest that saturated fat intake can increase T production.”

Since I am consuming really lean meat mostly chicken breast and lean cuts I would rather get my saturated fat from a better source which is coconut milk.

Almond Milk ? what the hell is this? Well almond milk is just well almonds. I let them soak over night in water just so that they are completely submerged then the next morning I will drain the water rinse the almonds a couple of times and put them in a blender I add a bit of water then I start blending them. I will add water until my desired texture is obtained. That my friend is almond milk.

Ill put the almond milk in a container and store it in the fridge :wink: Now why did I add almond milk to my shake? Well of course almond is composed of a good amount of monounsaturated fat. Actually one ounce of almonds contain 1 gram of Saturated fat, 4 grams of Polyunsaturated fat, and a whopping 10 grams of monounsaturated fat. With a nice amount of fiber too 3 grams for the same one ounce serving.

Almonds also contain heart-healthy nutrients such as 21% Daily Value (DV) of magnesium, 8% DV of calcium and 6% DV of potassium. Almonds are also one of the best natural sources of vitamin E, containing over 35% of the (DV) in a one ounce serving.

Should I even discuss the fish oil?

So why do I want omega six and omega three fats in my shake anyways as Eric Noreen said it best in the Fat round table of Sep 29 2000: "Perhaps the biggest benefit from eating a better ratio of 3s to 6s may come from increased insulin sensitivity. It’s pretty well established in rodent studies that membrane phospholipids high in omega 6s leads to, or at least contribute to, insulin resistance. Membrane phospholipids high in omega 3s actually have an opposite effect- increased insulin sensitivity. "

So that is my post workout meal, besides tasting great as hell it attempts to cover each nutritional base of a pre bed meal. I have been dieting extremely with great results and have felt very fatigued this shake has given me a nice amount of energy. I just hope that this thing won’t get me fat please feel free to critique my pre bed nutrition.

I think it looks good. As you stated if it doesn’t cause you to gain unwanted fat you’re set. If you find it is just eliminate some of the calories from it.

Very cool.

D