T Nation

Prank Phone Call

I just got a phone call tonight from a withheld number stating that if I didn’t stop talking shit and meet up somewhere, that they were going to kill my mother. They gave me a phone number to call back.

I was very irrate and called back, but it was a fake number and the phone was disconnected. I’m not sure what I should do. My first instinct was to find this(these) punks and destroy them. I’m hoping they call back, but I have no way of tracing there number.

I’m not sure if I should get the police involved. This has happend before, and it was because I called this kid who was harrassing one of my lady friends via text messagiing to stop texting her or else I’d beat his ass.

He apologized after a few weeks, but it still could be him so I’m going to call this punk up. Other then that, I have three choices, leave it alone, vigilante justice, or police involvement, and for Christ sake, threaten me, but never threaten my mother.

I believe service providers either log the numbers of all calls made regardless of how they are masked (for billing purposes, at the very least) or have the ability to properly trace such numbers.

Whether or not you can get them to disclose the number or trace it for you (I’m quite certain they won’t without the police requesting it) or block it from calling your phone (they might be able to, but may charge you for this) is beyond me.

My guess is that if you call customer service to report that you are continually receiving harrassing/threatening phone calls, the most they will do is offer to change your phone number free of charge (an inconvenience, I know).

If this continues to happen you should file a complaint with the local law enforcement just to see what they can do about it.

That being said, if you are thinking of vigilante justice, make sure you wear the appropriate attire.

edit: look into something called “Anonymous Call Rejection” (the name says it all)…if you don’t routinely receive calls from withheld/restricted numbers (or if you never receive them from people you want calling), this might be something to look into.

Right?

[quote]Makavali wrote:

Right?[/quote]

If the call is withheld or restricted, your phone won’t have a number available for it to attempt to reach.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Makavali wrote:

Right?

If the call is withheld or restricted, your phone won’t have a number available for it to call to.[/quote]

Pwned. Call the phone company.

[quote]anonym wrote:
I believe service providers either log the numbers of all calls made regardless of how they are masked (for billing purposes, at the very least) or have the ability to properly trace such numbers. Whether or not you can get them to disclose the number or trace it for you (I’m quite certain they won’t without the police requesting it) or block it from calling your phone (they might be able to, but may charge you for this) is beyond me.

My guess is that if you call customer service to report that you are continually receiving harrassing/threatening phone calls, the most they will do is offer to change your phone number free of charge (an inconvenience, I know).

If this continues to happen you should file a complaint with the local law enforcement just to see what they can do about it.

That being said, if you are thinking of vigilante justice, make sure you wear the appropriate attire.

edit: look into something called “Anonymous Call Rejection” (the name says it all)…if you don’t routinely receive calls from withheld/restricted numbers (or if you never receive them from people you want calling), this might be something to look into.[/quote]

haha the punisher, perfect pick, If I was you Austin I would call out or find out if its the kid you think it is.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
anonym wrote:
Makavali wrote:

Right?

If the call is withheld or restricted, your phone won’t have a number available for it to call to.

Pwned. Call the phone company.[/quote]

Another alternative would be for austin to get the person on the other line to say a combination of the following words: Allah, bomb, Bush, hijack, turban, Jihad, terror, and lixy (just kidding, lix).

With any luck, the phantom caller will win an all expenses paid trip to Cuba for an indefinite period of time.

He’d have a better chance with that than getting the phone company to hand over a number, I think.

I don’t know austin’s social proximity to the person who pranked him before, but if the guy is only a few degrees of separation away he’d be able to get to the bottom of this situation quicker via a little independent sleuthing (as opposed to waiting on the coppers or phone company), I would think.

Then again, I’m not an expert on these kinds of things. I’m certain some fellow Nationer must have a better idea how to attack this than me.

Let it go man. Unless you genuinely believe your mom is in danger, then there’s not much you can do. If it continues, take action.

I swear, Austin_Bicep gets in more James Bond bullshit than anybody I’ve ever heard of.

Call your local police station and tell them. I think a threat of murder justifies it.

Plus you get to give us all an update on what the police do.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I swear, Austin_Bicep gets in more James Bond bullshit than anybody I’ve ever heard of.[/quote]

I’d prefer not to get into this “James Bond” bullshit, but I guess it follows me around although I think this is the first time I posted something like this…I don’t know.

I did some investigation. The voice was fairly familiar and at first it sounded similar to a kid named Justin from school. I called his best friend Brett to see what the fuck was good. He beat around the bush a bit and said that someone called him too saying the same shit and he thinks it’s our friend George. However, I think he’s just having his boys back so I’m just going to confront this punk next time I see him. I don’t take that as a joke, I was just relieved that it was either him or someone pranking there whole phone book.

I’m with you 100% dude. Threatening to harm or to KILL a family member is crossing the line and in my book deserves a huge fucking ass-beating. If you think it’s a legit threat, police for sure.

If it’s just some punks, well… we don’t lift for nothin’.

You’re running your mouth threatening to beat people down? Over some broad? Another one of those “just the tip but I passed out” ones?

Gee, what did you think was going to happen? The guy’s going to move across the country and hide out?

Go handle your business. Some guy wants to kill your mom? Kill his first. You get the idea.

Another helpful hint: play those games with grown men and most of us don’t do the telephone toughguy routine, we’ll just wait outside your job, house, etc.