Practicing to Increase Load On Olys

How do you guys practice to move up in poundage in the snatch and clean and jerk?

I don’t know if this method is the most effective but this is how I do it:

I try to do at least 10 reps (5x2 or 5x3) full snatch or clean and jerk, i.e without losing the bar forward or backward, with practice weight (90% RM). Then I do high pulls with a weight I can’t get overhead or cleaned for 5x3.

Is this reasonable?

How do the real olympic lifters do it?

For moving up on cleans I do clean pulls. Basically you do the first pull to the waist, and set up for second pull…kinda like a high deadlift, but you do it like you were going to clean it so there’s no hesitation.

Come on people!

Where are the olympic lifters?!

Bump.

I’m just getting started in this sport, but I’ll say a few things and maybe other more experienced will correct me:

• That doesn’t seem like very much volume per lift. Is 10 reps enough to develop technique and strengtH?

• That seems like a really high load to lift EVERY workout. I find it easiest to make technique corrections with weights in the 80-90% range–heavy enough to demand technique, light enough to make the adjustment.

• You have to build up, peak, taper, test, and back off in this sport just as do with others–progressing all the time to heavier and heavier weights isn’t an option. I would be more specific about this, but how to periodize oly training is something I’m still trying to figure out and something that, at present, I leave in the competent hands of my coach.

Maybe others will have more to say about this. And speaking of coaches, how’s your technique? If you’re doing the full lifts, a coach is almost a must.

Give www.qwa.org a look through.

I’m just beginning to implement the Oly lifts into my training, but what they do there is much different from what you’re talking about.

I would first find out what your max is. Then, cycle your intensities each week from 75% to 85% to 95% to 97.5%. From there, start over the whole thing with an added 2.5%. After about 2 months you should have “greased the groove” enough to be in an all new weight territory.

And yes, 10 reps is more than enough to maintain and gain on. Some elite level lifters only perform 20 reps in an entire training session.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Bump.

I’m just getting started in this sport, but I’ll say a few things and maybe other more experienced will correct me:

• That doesn’t seem like very much volume per lift. Is 10 reps enough to develop technique and strengtH?

• That seems like a really high load to lift EVERY workout. I find it easiest to make technique corrections with weights in the 80-90% range–heavy enough to demand technique, light enough to make the adjustment.

• You have to build up, peak, taper, test, and back off in this sport just as do with others–progressing all the time to heavier and heavier weights isn’t an option. I would be more specific about this, but how to periodize oly training is something I’m still trying to figure out and something that, at present, I leave in the competent hands of my coach.

Maybe others will have more to say about this. And speaking of coaches, how’s your technique? If you’re doing the full lifts, a coach is almost a must.[/quote]

Those ten reps are only with the “practice” weight, I do at least 30 reps of warm-up-lifts with lighter weight.

I currently don’t know my maximum weight on the lifts, for one because I get fatigued durind OL workouts so by the time I’m ready to do a “max” I fail. Second I think it’s a psychological problem to do a max-attempt, I can’t free my mind before a max-attempt and fail most of the time.

I also think my weak link lies in the upper body, not enough shrug and stabilizing abillity.

I didn’t have a real coach to teach me the lifts, but a former national OL champ ('68-'69; he was still a teenager), and I had only a couple of minutes of instruction. That was about 8 months ago, I practiced on my own following articles from this very site and videos floating around the net. He said to me, my form would be pretty decent but can’t tell for sure since he’s not in the “bussines” anymore.

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
I would first find out what your max is. Then, cycle your intensities each week from 75% to 85% to 95% to 97.5%. From there, start over the whole thing with an added 2.5%. After about 2 months you should have “greased the groove” enough to be in an all new weight territory.[/quote]

Thanks!
That’s some good advice I’ll take to heart.

[quote]eisenaffe wrote:

Those ten reps are only with the “practice” weight, I do at least 30 reps of warm-up-lifts with lighter weight.

[/quote]

Oh, well, that’s different.

I had the problem of failing with max weights. I still have it, but getting a coach has ameliorated the problem to a great extent, mostly because knowing what’s wrong with your technique, how to fix, and THAT you’ve fixed it gives you confidence to just do the lift.

Good luck.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
Give www.qwa.org a look through.

I’m just beginning to implement the Oly lifts into my training, but what they do there is much different from what you’re talking about.[/quote]

Hey man that is a great site with a lot of good links and videos. Don’t know how I missed that one. Thanks

You can do snatch or clean pulls with 5% more than your snatch or clean. It won’t wear you out and it will used to exploding with a slightly heavier weight, but it won’t be heavy enough to alter your lifting mechanics.

[quote]eisenaffe wrote:
I also think my weak link lies in the upper body[/quote]

Start drilling your overhead squats and do them with a slight pause at the bottom.