I have been lifting for around 4 years, but until I discovered starting strength I never really understand the difference between strength training and bodybuilding.
I am currently 5’4’’ (well, more like 5’3’’), 145lbs and have used the routines in Rippetoes starting strength to gain about 15lbs of bodyweight and achieve an OHP 5RM=115, bench press 5RM=195lbs, squat 5RM=275, deadlift 5RM=325lbs and powerclean 1RM=155.
I am training for grappling competition, both gi and no-gi My goal for my intermediate phase is to achieve the most strength and power per pound of bodyweight as I do compete in a sport with weight classes. However, I am still actively trying to gain weight and plan to compete at 154 lbs in the future.
If any of you have comments (especially if you have read practical programming), please bring them up.
(sets x reps)
- Squat 5x5
- Bench Press 5x5
- Power Clean 5x3
- Weighted sit-ups 4x8
- Bodyweight hypers 2x20
- Front Squat- 3x3
- OH Press- 5x5 (or 3x5?)
- Weighted Chins -5x5 (or 3x8?)
- Weighted Sit-up 3x12
- Weighted Hyper 3x12
- Squat 10x2 65% 1 RM 60 sec rest
- Bench press 10x3 65% 1RM 60 sec rest
- Deadlifts -1x5 alternated weekly with 15x1 65% of 1RM 30 sec rest
- Pullups using towel for grips: 3xfailure (limiting factor is grip)
- Dips 3xfailure alternated with 3x8