Practical Programming & 531?

As a novice lifter looking to get as strong as possible and bigger along the way could I use a 531 setup on Rippetoe’s practical programming template? It looks a lot like Wendler’s full body splits. I love the ABA/BAB setup. I also love the idea of squatting, pressing and pulling in some sort every workout.

Workout A-
Squat
Bench
Deadlift (1x5)
Dips
Core

Workout B-
Squat
Overhead Press
Rows
Chins
Core

Jim originally suggested me to 5’s PRO + FSL but I would imagine that wouldn’t work in a setup where I squat, press and pull every workout. Would I be best following the starting strength until I stall out and then go to a 531 progression? Any suggestion of how to get the most out of this setup would be awesome. I want to make this work.

I have understood that A-B-A-B with 5’s PRO and FSL is what Jim does with beginners nowadays. Check out here on the forum how he arranges it.

Or do starting strength. Just whatever you like more.

I’ve been working on the model I’m going to run for at least 4 months at school next semester, assuming I can make it work. It’s kind of a hybrid between Wendler’s 531 for beginners/3 day full body split, with a ABC that follows Rippetoe’s practical programming for the novice. I like squatting, pressing and pulling every workout with assistance work coming from dips, rows, chins and core/back work. I want to try to apply 531 %'s to this model, but don’t know the best way. Suggestions?

Workout A:

1. Squat
  2. Bench/Press (alt.)
  3. Deadlift
  4. Dips for reps
  5. Hanging Leg Raise for reps

Workout B:

1. Squat
  2. Press/Bench (alt.)
  3. DB Rows for reps
  4. Farmerâ??s walk
  5. Dead bugs for reps

Workout C:

1. Squat
  2. Bench/Press (alt.)
  3. Chins for reps
  4. Back Raise for reps
  5. Curls for reps

[quote] Suggestions?

[/quote]

Yeah. Don’t.

Do starting strength as written OR 5’s PRO + FSL with Deadlift + Press - Squat + Bench split with bodyweight assistance.

Jim did wrote just couple days ago template HERE. It is the one they use with beginners.

How on earth you could think that you can plan better workout/method than Rippetoe or Wendler? You’re not yet experienced enough to mix programs. Believe me, as I have made same mistakes myself in the past.

PS. even though your plan seems ok. I advise you to do something just like it is planned to do instead of making your own program (even though it is intriguing).

Once you’ll “Learn” the program by doing it for several months, or even longer, and start to understand the logic and principles behind it, you can start to mix things up.

Truly all I was mixing was the Rippetoe model (almost the 3 day full body, almost beginner 531, but squat everyday), and applying the 531 technique instead of what’s designed as a 3x5. The assistance lifts in both bring chins, rows, dips.

I know mixing workouts is a recipe for disaster but I want to squat, press, pull every workout. The 531 model seems to be the most efficient way to get it done.

Don’t you have the book (beyond)? There is couple fullbody- templates which will suit for your needs.

“I know mixing workouts is a recipe for disaster…”

You should probably listen to yourself.

[quote]kingbrady wrote:
I would imagine that wouldn’t work in a setup where I squat, press and pull every workout.[/quote]

See the 531 Beach Body challenge

If I was to run a 531 Beginner template, could it look like this?

A-
Squat 5/3/1 + 5x5 FSL
Bench 5/3/1 + 5x5 FSL
Pushups, chins, rows, dips, curls (200 reps)

B-
Deadlift 5/3/1 + 5x5 FSL
Press 5/3/1 + 5x5 FSL
Pushups, chins, rows, dips, curls (200 reps)

Also, could I use 5’s progressions instead of 5/3/1?

You should do the program I have outlined. It’s on this forum.