T Nation

Practical or Not?

On a scale of 1-10, how practical are my skills for the streets?
1 being “You def trained at a McDojo bruh…” and 10 being "Yep you’re well prepared"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJa28j1IwHw

Your question is extremely broad, not to criticize you in the least, but, training for defense of self involves so many factors for survival:

• no matter what the unarmed martial art is, it comes down to your combat mindset to survive under any circumstances, that you will do whatever it takes to kill your enemy, from bashing his head in with a rock to applying a joint lock.

• like all demos, your adversary is complicit and is easy to handle,which means you dealing with someone who is neither angry, on drugs or alcohol ,and most important, doesn’t have the singular goal of killing you.

• mastery of skills, does not guarantee anything if the adversary is armed, either blunt trauma instruments, blades, or firearms. Where does your art address those issues, since, even a 10 year a old gang bangers carry guns?

• Demos are not like the street, since, you will rarely fight anyone your own height and weight. Some of those techniques would not work against a strong adversary familiar with violence (IMO).

• I have never trained in this version of your posted art, but, I have trained in Aikido, but, it primarily for the experience in doing something new, since, I did not consider it practical for violent encounters.

• I notice on the front entrance of the dojo, it says : “hardcore training center” do they spar?, train in weapons? weapons disarmament? grappling? two on one in protective gear? knife technique? blunt instruments? improvised weapons? striking ? kicking? stomping? If they don’t cover these areas then you are wasting your time for the street, if you are training for health, mental discipline, mastery of a martial art, stress reduction, then fine, just realize why you are training. Nothing wrong with TMA.

• Any martial art is only as good as its instructor, if the instructor sucks, the art sucks. If you have confidence in your instructor, and, he gives you confidence and awareness, then you are ahead of the game.

• Supplement any martial art with weapons training, if possible, take a firearms course, get a carry permit, and learn how to use a handgun. The chances of you surviving an armed encounter on the street, using unarmed techniques is slim to none.

• No disrespect to your art, because, you can only train in a dojo that is available and what you can financially afford. I would do some research an attempt to find a RMA training hall.

*Sento should be along to give you much better and detailed answer to your question.

• Thanks for posting, it takes an opened minded person to have people comment on their decisions. Good Luck.

there are alot of videos on you tube of martial artist,boxers in street situations some end well some do not
a trained fighter normally would have the advantage in a fight,
BUT
trained fighters usually train under RULES street engagements do not have RULES
alot of street fighters or criminals are sneeky,and cheat "NO RULES"
based on my training and experience,the person in the fight has more to do with their wining than with which art or system they learn

There is a guy here- @Chushin that could give you some pointers.

Otherwise I’d say that you are well equipped to get your butt kicked without any fear or hesitation. You can’t just move through a form one two three style when there are free hands and feet available to do damage to all of those unprotected vital areas exposed in that demo.

idaho,i have google RMA 'russian martial arts" comes up along with risk management,
sometimes i am little slow
what does rma stand for

RMA - Reality martial art

TMA - Traditional martial art

I always thought a black belt would kick my ass because he/she knew a secret - like karate had some secret to kicking ass. Now that I have been in karate for three years, I know that a black belt will kick my ass because he trains 2-4 times a week, practices kicking, punching, and spars. While some of those jiujitsu grabs may help you react, it’s more about practicing being in that situation (sparring) than knowing some secret, or having some grabs and holds.

By the way, the theme from Mulan may not have been the best choice of theme music.

Os.

i have not gone to a martial arts school in a long time
so do the 2 types advertise differently[quote=“The_Myth, post:7, topic:215887”]
I know that a black belt will kick my ass
[/quote]

you must go to a good school
schools in my area “alot” of black belts got their belts by putting in time ,not how well they really preformed

Oh, we have our share of those guys as well, but most of them get weeded out in sparring.

My 2nd degree black belt is in Taekwondo not jujitsu if that clears up any confusion. I’m really not that good at jujitsu.
And honestly I just picked that song cause I like Jackie’s singing and I’m Chinese lol (even though I’m demonstrating a Japanese martial art)

Juijitsu’s are grabs, or holds - like a wrist lock - in Japanese martial arts. When those martial arts arrived in Brazil, they morphed into Brazilian JiuJitsu, it’s own form of defense.

big mistakes by taekwondo in street fights ,high kicks while wearing street clothes,or on wet surfaces
basics will carry you a long way,
in street fights you do not get points for being fancy
i trained taekwondo for about 4 years loved it

Good post by Idaho above.

As he eloquently stated, your demonstration actually doesn’t show much of anything in terms of your ability to defend yourself in a “street fight” (which I assume you mean a “self defense situation,” but I could be wrong) one way or the other.

The reason for that is that you were executing pre-rehearsed techniques on a compliant opponent. We have a saying in RMA (iCAT/Dynamic Combat Method/Sento) that “Resistance separates reality from fantasy.”

All of the techniques that you demoed “could” work in a street fight/self defense situation given the right situation and enough skill/attributes. But, in order to demonstrate the ability to do so, you would have had to show video of you doing them while sparring (even if it was a situational sparring drill like “bad guy grabs you from behind and you both start fighting”), even more so sparring while dead tired, uncomfortable, and under some sort of emotional/mental duress (stress).

In other words, due to the lack of resistance and realism in your training you are not truly gaining applicable skill to be able to utilize those techniques when it counts.

I am not suggesting that unresisted skill acquisition training is not a necessary step in the learning of new combative skills, but resistance must be added into the training of those skills at some point or you will never truly “own” those skills and they will never really become “weapons” in your arsenal to be used when you need them.

Good luck.

Lot’s of good points. I am not going to rate you as it isn’t fair but I give you props for posting a video for criticism and advice!

I would like to add, a problem with a lot of TMA schools is the disconnect between learning the technique and applying the technique. It seems the way in which it is learned (opponent ‘offering’ an attack) is the way it is continually trained even past black belt at a lot of places.

Training has to advance from an partner ‘offering’ a technique to ‘applying’ a technique. Like the bear hug in your demo, he’s at the ‘offering’ stance, wraps his arms around you and waits. You need to have him gradually become more of an attacker; hold you tighter, move, all the way up to the end goal of a real situation, he has to grab you, squeeze, pick you up and dump you face first to the ground and you have to stop him!

After that he has to be a smart attacker, buries his head into your shoulder area to stop a rear head butt, place his foot in between your legs to protect his groin and give you one foot to attack(you shift your weight to stomp and he knows where you are attacking! you drop your weight, he drops his weight!

When you can pull off your technique with him attacking at is stage, you know you can defend yourself on the street with it. Actually, the technique you start with won’t be the defense you finish with, as he adjust you have to adjust to a new technique to counter. It becomes organic.

I’m actually busy writing an article on the dilution of traditional martial arts.

Keep training! I’m 20 years in and still learning and refining what I thought I knew.

This 100%!..

I realize this post is about three weeks old, but…

One of the great things about the combat forum is how respectful and courteous the guys are that post here are. There is very little ‘do you even defense bro?’ attitude here.

I would like to see a TKD demonstration, or like other posters have mentioned, some resisted demos of the above techniques. Do you do much randori at your dojo? How long have you been practicing judo/jiujitsu/TKD?

I only read a few of the posts above so if this has already been stated…well here it is again:

1. I don’t like wrist locks from a standing position they are far too easy to slip out of. A strong guy can simply pull back and there goes your hold.

2. I like the hip toss when the person happens to be situated behind you. That can work with plenty of practice.

3. Almost anything would work against the uke in the video. Perhaps a strong wind would blow him over. Is that mean?

Keep training and make your training is as real as possible while still avoiding injury.

ZEB

Just saw this, pretty cool post.

I think enough of us here have been around the block enough times to know there’s few hard-and-fast rules to any of this … so it’s kinda like, who the fuck are we to judge? Different shit works for different people.

The way he is doing those wrist locks, yes a strong opponent could just rip their arm out of. There are ways of doing both “Kote Gaeshi” and “Nikyo/Nikajo” that are much more secure and make it very difficult to pull out of without still getting locked or at least grounded.

That said, wrist locks would generally only be something I would consider a “go to” in low level force (friend, relative, drunk, minor, etc…) or security scenario where you don’t want to maim or kill your opponent but instead only control or restrain them.

I’ve controlled drunks with standing wrist locks…but of course they’re drunk. I’ve also seen someone controlled with standing wrist locks used by a bigger stronger person…but then again they are bigger and stronger. So…