T Nation

Practical Application of R-ALA

Did some back reading on ALA. Didn’t really learn anything practical, except that R-ALA is better than ALA for glucose partitioning. SOOOO, I would appreciate some straightfoward advice on supplementing with R-ALA. It would be nice if the recomendations were separated by cutting & bulking phases.
Brands-
Dosing-
Timing-
Duration of use-
Tips & Tidbits-

Thank you kindly.

Well I will chime in here as a regular user of R-ala. I supplement with it daily. I however use it for it’s antioxidant/health benefits rather than any glucose transport it may have an effect on.

It is a wonderfull supp. as far as antioxidants go, and if I get some added benefit of greater nutrient partitioning that is just a bonus. My prob is that I have yet to see a study that proves it to partition with preferance going to LBM and not BF.

I will pop an extra 100 mg before a big carb up cheat or something just in case it does help, but like I stated before this is simply not my reasoning behind it’s use.

Just my stand, hope it helps
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Well I will chime in here as a regular user of R-ala. I supplement with it daily. I however use it for it’s antioxidant/health benefits rather than any glucose transport it may have an effect on.

It is a wonderfull supp. as far as antioxidants go, and if I get some added benefit of greater nutrient partitioning that is just a bonus. My prob is that I have yet to see a study that proves it to partition with preferance going to LBM and not BF.

I will pop an extra 100 mg before a big carb up cheat or something just in case it does help, but like I stated before this is simply not my reasoning behind it’s use.

Just my stand, hope it helps
Phill[/quote]

What brand do you use? Because i’ve seen a lot of posts regarding their quality or actual amount of r-ala in each capsules which kept me from buying some in the first place.

I use “R” by Syntrax. I like it a lot. I’ve turned a few of my friends on to “R” as well and they have all liked what it’s done for them.

Phil-Wow! learn something everyday. Had no idea that it’s an antioxidant. Would you mind letting me know what brand you use?
Angryvader- I found Syntax’s “R” and liked what I saw, “all natural” R-ala.
So how much (mg’s) and at what times during the day do you guys take your R-ala? For it’s antioxidant properties I’m sure pre or post training would be best. And for glucose partitioning (assuming it even helps with that) I’m assuming with or before big CHO meals. Let me know, thanks.

Supplement geeks, drop some knowledge!

Soldierslim,

I try to take 300 mg a day, but the dose kind of varies from day to day. I usually take it with any big meal I eat that contains a decent amount of carbs, so sometimes I end up taking as much as 600 mg in a day. Like Phill mentioned, I also try to take an extra 100 mg with any cheat meal I eat.

Unfortunately, although ALA is a good glucose disposal agent, it IS NOT a good preferential disposal agent. I.E., it helps clear the blood of glucose, but sends it to fat cells just as much as it does muscle cells. Whether that is of interest to you may depend upon your goals (i.e. you may just be trying to dip back into ketosis after a cheat meal), but don’t use it with the misimpression that you’re stacking your muscles with glycogen (like I did for the past couple of years).

But it is a great antioxidant, and should probably be included in your arsenal for that alone.

Bosco-yea, thats kinda the impression I’ve been getting over the past week. Thats rather unfortunate as that was my original reason for wanting to supplement with it. But I’ve been in the market for additional anti-ox’s so I think I may just add a couple hundred mg’s/day in divided doses.

Thanks to everyone who replyed on this thread.

Mufasa, you could try to PM Phil for more ALA info. He’s a pretty knowlegeble and friendly guy, tell him I sent ya!

Hey soldier… thanks for the comp. man. I try.

I had just noticed that this post was bumped up from the neither regions and had to see what was going on.

Still not sure why it was bumped, LOL, but Mufasa sure PM if need be. Or better yet post here so everyone has a chance to respond/read/react.

Either way. Let her rip. I will, as I am sure other will, do their best to help with any question you have.

Phill

Thanks, guys!

Phil…I asked soldier to “bump up” this thread because I’m starting to “fine tune” my program. Part of that involves discussing the controversial areas.

I had posted the following question on another thread:

"The debate continues…

There is recent research that suggest that ALA, as an anti-oxidant, may have some benefit in the delaying of symptoms of Alzheimer’s…

But where are we in it’s role in nutrient partitioning? How should it be used? What form?"

It SEEMS like 1)r-ALA is the best form 2) it has value as an anti-oxidant and 3) it’s value as a true nutrient partitioning agent is questionable.

Please add to the discussion everyone!

Mufasa

I also use the r-ala from Syntrax at 400mg 45 minutes before my workout. I know that i will be having my 3 scoops of Surge while i workout so it is a perfect time. I think it only should be taken with carb-protein meals. I agree with the previous poster that stated that it will affect muscles and fat cells but if it can shuttle more nutrients into my muscles then there will be less floating around my bloodstream to get stored in the fat cells. That’s why it’s important to have carbs after your workouts if body composition is your goal. laters pk

I have come across no further studies/or experience that sway my opinions any. Though I am still to go over a new one I found that states ALA as being helpfull in shuttling creatine. But hey, my blood pumping at alarming rates and my Surge taken PWO due that pretty good.

Anyhow. Here we go.

But where are we in it’s role in nutrient partitioning?

Below, above and in numerous other threads :slight_smile:

How should it be used?

Personally I use 200-300 mg a day. Lately 200mg. 1 morning 1 evening.

I will also ( JUST IN CASE/HOPE that it may have a positive effet on partitioning) take an extra 200mg prior to my weekly cheat meal.

What form?"
Below

It SEEMS like 1)r-ALA is the best form

Yes. The R-ala form is your best bet. The ALA has R-ala in it but also s-ala (I do beleive) and there are several studies that have come about that actually show the other form in the ALA actually detracting from the positive effects of the R-Ala fraction. Once again you can find others that state there being no negative effects. I just go with the R to be safe.

1. it has value as an anti-oxidant and

As of this point this is the only truely PROVEN benefit of R-ALA, and one I enjoy. The whole reason behind me supplementing it.

It is not only a strong antioxidant in and of itself. It has the effect of regenerating vit.c and e after they have been seemingly used up fighting free radicals. It is like a little medic in the war against free radicals. As the soldiers battle and get injured it runs up and repairs them. LOL Best analogy I could come up with.

1. it’s value as a true nutrient partitioning agent is questionable.

Very questionable, But we can hope.

Like I stated if it does give me a greater lean toward LBM partitioning all the better, but I am not sold. It does partition. That much is proven. But study to study it varies. Some leaning toward LBM, others toward BF, and some right down the middle. That and most of these studies were on rats and mice. NOT T-men.

I am inclined at this point to simply feel it is right down the middle.

So. that said. It would be beneficail to a point to greater speed the shuttling of nutrients when you are allready in a state that leans toward LBM positive partioning, Post w/o. In theory any way.

I say take it for its anti Ox ability and any bonus, GREAT. I have seen no added benefit from it in that area though. Even super high dosing during different diet test like UD2 where one pretty much totally depletes their carb stores, drops cals, then has a HUGE carb up. I saw no difference in taking it and not.

Hope that helps, Once again just my 2cc from my own experience.

Phill

( excuse any sp or gramar errors I am still working on my first cup of coffee)

Are you guys sure about the antioxidant effect? The first four papers I pulled up on PubMed showed that it had no antioxidant effect in vivo (live bodies). One paper actually showed a decrease in antioxidant status with ALA and exercise.

From everything I’ve investigated on this supplement, it should basically be viewed as insulin in a pill (as long as we’re “healthy”), without a known effect on protein metabolism. The only study done on protein metabolism showed that ALA had effect, but considering the rest of its effects, I don’t really believe this would apply in vivo .

Phill hope we can still be friends. :slight_smile:

Cheers

NO Dave, Damn it. We cant be friends anymore. This was the last line. It’s not that you gave an opposing view either, It’s simply that I decided once and for all I dont like you damn Canadians, all right “THATS IT” LOL

Not a prob. man. You know I am all about reading, debates, opposing opinions, and ed-u-mactin myself in any way I can. ETC…

Fact is no matter what subject/supplemant we are talking of we, and anyone, could seemingly find a plethora of studies to back their view. That is what makes this life so damn interesting/confusing. Learning something new everyday, only to have it shot down the next, then brought back to light.

Really we simply have to take every study for what it is another study. Most of which have an agenda and can be swayed to show the desired result. You simply dont know, 4 sure about ANYTHING. Will we ever, UM, I’m not sure.

As far as this statement, “had no antioxidant effect in vivo (live bodies).” Well, you know the odd hours I keep. We still have to prove that I am in fact, in vivo, myself. :slight_smile:

Later,
Phill