PPL 6 Days/Wk, Mixing Reps/Weight

Post up a sample week.

I haven’t come up with anything yet. Figure a strength day would be main movement, then 1-2 supplemental lifts. Pump day would be accessories and maybe 1 heavy semi close to main lift thing, like DB bench for bench work on pump day. Idk. Haven’t thought tooooo into it because I didn’t know if it was dumb.

A pitfall I can think of is having too much time between similar styles of workouts. Like if you do Mon-Sat, after your wed workout you won’t be hitting higher loads again until the following mon. 3 straight days of strength focus could be draining pretty fast. Maybe go:

Push heavy
Pull pump
Legs heavy
Push pump
Pull heavy
Legs pump

2 Likes

That sounds pretty good :man_shrugging: Fwiw, I wasn’t implying keeping the strength and pump work together was what I was going to do. I honestly didn’t even know where to begin on thinking of order. So, thanks for the sample! It definitely passes the makes sense check for me lol

Ha, you’re right. Not sure why I made that assumption.

No need to apologize man, it was a solid post, that to my beginner eye seems like a solid idea

Age? Easy or hard job/studentEtc?

…basically 21 and ready to eat big, then fine. 30+ not so much.

My knee jerk would say do something like this below, 2 on 1 off. The ‘free’ day hit your weak points for very high reps…

Why not 30+? I’m 33 and love running PPL 6 day split.

28 on TRT will blast, extremely physical job, already workout 6-7 days a week with unplanned off days here and there due to work/life.

I skimmed the article, I’ll have to wait till I can sit down and read it.

1 Like

He’s just too old to remember what young feels like :blush:

(Just joking of course)

I was spitballing with a similar idea a while back

Day 1 push heavy
Day 2 pull reps
Day 3 legs heavy
Day 4 push reps
Day 5 pull heavy
Day 6 legs reps

Heavy day my plan was 3 exercises only
Rep day was for balance and weak points. Heavy days geared at BB and DB, rep days geared towards machines, dbs, bodyweight but no barbells

2 Likes

Shit I thought you were 40 son

That sounds awesome!

As to the 40… I’m 28. Almost 29. I was burned out on drugs (no real hard stuff) and alcohol before i got out of high school, and I’ve held a full time job in manual labor since 17, and I’ve never ever worked 40 hours a week :joy:. So that’s my excuse for looking 40

I’m pretty sure it was gonna be (for example)

Heavy push

1. OHP 2x warm up, 1x rest pause heavy
  2. Incline bench 350 method
  3. Weighted dips 3x10-12

Heavy pull

1. Block pulls rest pause
  2. Barbell row 350 method
    3 weighted chins 3x10-12

Heavy legs

1. Box squat rest pause
  2. Rdl 350 method
  3. Calf raises

Rep days could be whatever, just get a pump and go home, almost like an active recovery day to promote blood flow

1 Like

Loved that whole post! I do have questions about this. I figured I’d still be lifting very challenging weights, just challenging for the rep range I’d be in, maybe 10-14reps and still going to failure. Think that would be a mistake? I guess a lot depends on how you’re eating and sleeping as well.

1 Like

Yeah for sure, if that’s the case I’d definitely keep it geared more towards machines and cables, but that’s just me

1 Like

You can always jump in my log because I’m running something very similar right now.

I rotate which movements will be heavier, because it’s easy to Jack up your recovery if you’re pushing heavy for every body part all within the same workout. I also threw in explosive stuffs here and there, all mixed with high rep/volume.

Your best bet is to rotate stuff out though.

Here’s what I did Monday? I think?

Here

1 Like

Sweet! I’ll definitely check it out!!

Not too far removed from Meadows high-frequency programs. If memory serves the underlying structure is

PPL
PPL (pump)

The first three PPL days might not be as strength oriented as you like, conceivably.

The guiding principles for the pump days is

• no barbells for chest/shoulder days
  • squats and leg presses are okay, but not heavy for leg days
  • no deadlifts or heavy rows on back days

Yea I’ve got a few of Meadows programs. I’d love to run one but two things have stopped me:

Equipment, and it would probably take hours to do them because of how much I’d have to stop and refer back to the program to realize what I’m doing next.

I’ve just been doing my own thing for a while, which is probably not the best thing. I’ve got an itch to try something new and an itch to push the weights in the lower rep range without sacrificing my desire to look like a physique guy :joy:

1 Like