T Nation

Powermetal Favorites

Ended up talking Powermetal with a friend’s kid last night. Apparently he has discovered a local Powermetal band in his town. This being his first taste, he was very excited and wanted to know of more bands. I listened to his local band (Ice Sword) later on and realized the bands I gave him are probably going to blow his mind. I only gave him a short list:
Rhapsody (aka Rhapsody of Fire)
Helloween
Stratovarius

I should have also mentioned:
Gamma Ray
Sonata Arctica
Dragonforce (though somewhat commercialized they’re still fun)

I am thinking I will send him on social media the second set of bands. Any good Powermetals I forgot? And please don’t tell me Nightwish, I die a little bit inside each time I hear that woman.

kids these days and their ludicrous subgenres

[quote]Yogi wrote:
kids these days and their ludicrous subgenres[/quote]
Lol

Ok, seriously, what’s Powermetal? I’ve heard Sonata Artica and Stratovarius. What makes them Powermetal?

This? Guitar played by the guy from Stratovarius. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY3u0LbAd0Y

This?

From my understanding, Powermetal contains an Operatic vocal style, and melodic/symphonic style guitar riffs. Sometimes it is merged with Neo-classical guitar, meaning classical style guitar, like Yngwie Malmsteen’s classical guitar music. And sometimes it has a symphonic orchestra in the background.

Edit: It usually has a fantasy element in the lyrics, also.

Here’s a good example:

And… https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUzpf3mMsxA

Ok… X Japan!

[quote]dt79 wrote:
This? Guitar played by the guy from Stratovarius. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY3u0LbAd0Y[/quote]
In my opinion, this is a good example of Neo-classical metal. Powermetal almost always has vocals. The X-Japan videos you posted sound very powermetal. I would want the vocalist to sing with a more clear voice, as his style sounds kinda scratchy/hoarse, but that may be due to his particular style, or natural vocal limitations. The Japanese seem to love powermetal so much, may be the amount of classical musical training that’s required to even play it.

I can’t believe I forgot Hammerfall! Thanks, Andy! The kid said that the reason he liked his local band so much is it sounds like the kind of fantasy metal he imagines playing in the background as he plays DnD.

So, I’ll add X-Japan and Hammerfall to the list. Since his local band is Viking/fantasy themed we told him about Amon Amarth and Finntroll, too. But after hearing this Ice Sword…

I realized he’d probably piss his pants over good Powermetal. \m/

OP, just curious about your comment regarding Nightwish. Is it because the guys in the band are apparently a bunch of assholes and fire singers at the drop of a hat? Or do you just not care for Floor’s vocals? Saw them last spring in Nashville with Delain and Sabaton, amazing show.

Also, check out Two Steps From Hell. No vocals (at least on the songs I’ve heard), but a great orchestral/fantasy element to the sound.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
OP, just curious about your comment regarding Nightwish. Is it because the guys in the band are apparently a bunch of assholes and fire singers at the drop of a hat? Or do you just not care for Floor’s vocals? Saw them last spring in Nashville with Delain and Sabaton, amazing show.[/quote]

They are labeled as Symphonic metal which is a bit different. The main differences are female vocals and less emphasis on guitar/speed. Also Nightwish has transitioned in style since their origins which was more like power metal, otherwise they would have never came up in this discussion.

Hey boatguy, thanks for the suggestion. Two Steps From Hell is VERY fantasy/dramatic. While it is less metal and more soundtrack-y, he might like it, also. And my problem with Nightwish does stem from my dislike of the vocals style perhaps because, as Andy says, it is Symphonic? Not sure why, I simply… do not like.

Sabaton

Lol kidz.

Old school powermetal, you know, what we just called “metal”. Here are a couple little known face melters:

The greatest (powermetal) concept album no one has ever heard. Total face meltage:

Check out Kamelot. One of my favorite powermetal bands. However, they have a new lead singer (for about 2 years or so now)…but their original lead (Roy Khan) was a trained opera singer that added some theatrical elements to his singing. Still a bad ass band.