Powerlifting, Weightclass?

Basically I am interested in trying out some powerlifting. The dilemma I am facing right now is deciding which weight class to compete in. As of right now these are my stats:

Height: 5’7
Weight: ~154
Squat: ~315
Bench Press: 245 (touch and go)
Deadlift: 405 (wrist straps, no belt)

Cutting down to 148 wouldn’t be that hard for me, despite being lean at 154. I will probably have to gain at least 20 lb to cut to 165, which would postpone any competitions for quite some time. Basically I am just looking for a sport to compete in and powerlifting seems like something I could do. Thus far I have not done any specific training for any of the lifts and I feel my poundage could go up pretty quickly. Any input on this would be appreciated.

[quote]Super Guy wrote:
B
Cutting down to 148 wouldn’t be that hard for me, despite being lean at 154. I will probably have to gain at least 20 lb to cut to 165, which would postpone any competitions for quite some time. [/quote]

Dude, without wishing to sound mean, what the hell are you on??? Why would you even think about trying to cut weigth before you’ve ever even step foot on a platform??

Your lifts aren’t bad, but they’re not good enough to worry about being competitive at 148 and 165 and trying to drop weight for either. Just lift at 165 and concentrate on filling out the weight class over the next year.

And one last thing, wtf would you have to gain 20lbs (to 174?) so oyu could cut to 165? Why do you HAVE to cut??? Have you ever done it before? Do you realise that if you do it wrong you’l be incredibly fucked when you step on the platform and probably have wasted an entrie training cycle. It’s not a nice feeling.

don’t worry about weight at your level. just show up and compete at whatever weight you’re at. when you get more experience and are familiar with the type of guys you will be competing against then you can take a more strategic approach to picking a weight class. Right now, just get out there and have fun.

[quote]Super Guy wrote:
Basically I am interested in trying out some powerlifting. The dilemma I am facing right now is deciding which weight class to compete in. As of right now these are my stats:

Height: 5’7
Weight: ~154
Squat: ~315
Bench Press: 245 (touch and go)
Deadlift: 405 (wrist straps, no belt)

Cutting down to 148 wouldn’t be that hard for me, despite being lean at 154. I will probably have to gain at least 20 lb to cut to 165, which would postpone any competitions for quite some time. Basically I am just looking for a sport to compete in and powerlifting seems like something I could do. Thus far I have not done any specific training for any of the lifts and I feel my poundage could go up pretty quickly. Any input on this would be appreciated.[/quote]

You can’t use wrist straps in comp so 405 is not your max. You have to pause on your chest when you bench, so I promise you will not get 245 in comp. With that said, cutting should be the least of your worries.

Forget ‘cutting’!

Find a comp and go lift in it! Make sure you understand how the lifts are meant to be performed and crack on!

Everything else will fall into place. You’ll learn loads from your 1st comp. Listen, watch and learn.

Do not underestimate the power of competition to push your training to a new level

as others have said, compete without worrying aobut weight classes, the only itme you should be thinking aobut weight classes is if and when you are at the level you will going for records. For your first year or two (thats right TWO) of competing, jsut get bigger and stronger, better, learn how the competitions run.

One of my buddies cut recently and only made two lifts out of 6; it should be noted I’d seen him lift way more in the gym. so yeah, summary, go set some PR’s have fun, learn!

Holy shit, I was just looking for some input. I just need some general direction from guys that no what they are doing. Yes, I do no how to cut correctly to maintain strength. I am just looking for something to compete in in.

It’s very hard for me to train unless I have some kind of competition to train for. I used to wrestle, but I fell short there. After that, I took my running much more seriously, but burned out and quit putting in 80 mile weeks about 1.5 months ago, right after running a 1:18 half marathon.

During my half marathon training I attempted a deadlift and pulled 355 at a bodyweight of 146, without straps. The only reason my 405 was with straps was because I injured my forearm, and the grip is somewhat weak at the moment.

I didn’t come on here to get my dick sucked or anything, and I do realize my lifts are not anything that special. I just was wondering what I could do with some training.

Also, this is the first time in my life that I haven’t had to stay smaller for my sports, so I am not against weight gain whatsoever. If you guys thought I should keep moving up in weight, just say so. Don’t be pricks about it. I’ve dealt with weight classes my entire life, so don’t hate on me just because I use the word “cut”.

Yes a lot of hostility on this site.

I was just going to tell you to just worry about getting bigger and stronger for now. Compete at 165 for the learning experience.

Put on ten good pounds and all of your lifts will go up. 165 is the class for you and then maybe 181. When you get to 181 (years down the road) you will be strong like bull.

They gave yopu advice and something to aim for. WHat?? eneter a comp send in the form. #2 screw the weight class just sign up get stronger and lift in what ever class yo happen to fall in this time.

Your Goals, #1 enter meet, #2 train hard get strong for said meet.

Go get em bro

Phill

[quote]Super Guy wrote:
Holy shit, I was just looking for some input. I just need some general direction from guys that no what they are doing. Yes, I do no how to cut correctly to maintain strength. I am just looking for something to compete in in.

It’s very hard for me to train unless I have some kind of competition to train for. I used to wrestle, but I fell short there. After that, I took my running much more seriously, but burned out and quit putting in 80 mile weeks about 1.5 months ago, right after running a 1:18 half marathon.

During my half marathon training I attempted a deadlift and pulled 355 at a bodyweight of 146, without straps. The only reason my 405 was with straps was because I injured my forearm, and the grip is somewhat weak at the moment.

I didn’t come on here to get my dick sucked or anything, and I do realize my lifts are not anything that special. I just was wondering what I could do with some training.

Also, this is the first time in my life that I haven’t had to stay smaller for my sports, so I am not against weight gain whatsoever. If you guys thought I should keep moving up in weight, just say so. Don’t be pricks about it. I’ve dealt with weight classes my entire life, so don’t hate on me just because I use the word “cut”.[/quote]

What the fuck is your problem kid? You started off this thread asking for advice on what weight class to compete in and it appears everyone gave you a reasonable and straightforward response, which is that with your lack of experience in PL competitions, you’re better off not worrying about weight classes.

Just train to get strong and whatever class you weigh in at on meet day is the class you compete in. this is pretty standard advice for newbies, if you don’t like the responses then don’t fucking ask. How’s that for hostility?

If you wanted specific training advice then maybe you should have led with that. Stick to marathons. I wouldn’t want someone like you on a platform behind me.

Dude if you’ve got a background in wrestling, are that strong at 155ish, and have the cardio to do half-marathons, you should look into MMA or submission wrestling if you just want something to compete in.

“We’re not like the others. We’re your friends.”

The problem with the advice to just show up and lift in whatever weight class you happen to be in that day is that some federations don’t allow that.

Other federations do, but don’t allow you to get any trophies (but usually will let you qualify for the world/national competition and set records). Every federation is different though, so once you pick one, find out the rules if all that sort of stuff is important to you.

That being said, I agree with the advice to just let your weight go wherever it wants to go for at least a year.

[quote]Super Guy wrote:
Holy shit, I was just looking for some input. I just need some general direction from guys that no what they are doing. Yes, I do no how to cut correctly to maintain strength. I am just looking for something to compete in in.[/quote]

OK.

[quote]It’s very hard for me to train unless I have some kind of competition to train for.[/quote] This is a problem [quote]I used to wrestle, but I fell short there. After that, I took my running much more seriously, but burned out and quit putting in 80 mile weeks about 1.5 months ago, right after running a 1:18 half marathon.

I didn’t come on here to get my dick sucked or anything,[/quote]

Alot of people do.

Answer: better than you are doing right now.

No one was a prick about it…
Most people who come here already know what they want to do and are looking for people to say "WOW your pimptastic can we be your friends? Great idea its the best one ever.

No one has hated on you just advised against cutting and used very good reasons to back thier advice. Like I said most people have thier mind made up by the time they post so when you tell them something that dosent work right along thier dream plan they say…

“Ok thanks for your help but fuck you I do what I want. Im smarter than every one”

Any way, good luck I agree with every one else BTW.

Also tip for the OP for future use on T-Nation.

If some one is giveing you good advice even if its not as nice as it could be dont complain.

It just dosent work out well for you. You either get flamed or have people lose respect for you and not want to help you. Most likley both will happen.

[quote]robo1 wrote:

What the fuck is your problem kid? You started off this thread asking for advice on what weight class to compete in and it appears everyone gave you a reasonable and straightforward response, which is that with your lack of experience in PL competitions, you’re better off not worrying about weight classes.
[/quote]

I think the problem is he didn’t get the answer he wanted…

OP, just chill the hell out. People get hostile here because they’re asked for advice by newbs and get it thrown back in their face because the new guys doesn’t like what he hears. Much like what just happened.

how do you know that you can cut weight and still maintain strength? unless you’ve done it and attempted max lifts you don’t know for sure that you do.

Cutting weight and wrestling is a hell of a lot different to cutting weight and trying to hit 9 max lifts over the course of 12 hours.

LOL! I thought my post was very encouraging?

The good old 'ternet never fails to produce over-reaction and miss-understanding!

[quote]IainK wrote:
LOL! I thought my post was very encouraging?

The good old 'ternet never fails to produce over-reaction and miss-understanding! [/quote]

Ditto