T Nation

Powerlifting Tips Anyone?

i am 19 and i just started powerlifting, i started weight training in the 7th grade but never took it seriously until i joined the military. my bench is 280, my squat is 365, and my deadlift is 410. all of my lifts are raw, but i do use straps with my deadlift.

currently i weigh 210, i take no supplements and train 3 to 4 times a week. any suggestions woud be helpful my goal is a 400 bench. thanks in advance

Where do you train?

Straps aren’t allowed in comps.

Make sure your form is good, and pay attention to the many prehab articles on this site. Foam rolling, mobility drills, stretching, and corrective exercises are helpful for staying healthy.

Also make sure your form is optimal for powerlifting - i.e. benching with an arch and using leg drive, a wider than normal stance on squats, etc. There are some articles here that can help you out if you search for them.

Popular strength programs to look up across the internets:

Bill Starr’s or Madcow’s 5x5

Westside Barbell Method

Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 routine

Sheiko routines (there’s one posted in an article on this site)

People are different when it comes to supplements. Some people take tons, others take none. Personally I would recommend initially trying creatine and maybe protein supplementation depending on what kind of food is available to you while in service.

A broad question gets a broad answer :slight_smile:

[quote]sailortom wrote:
my bench is 280,

any suggestions woud be helpful my goal is a 400 bench. thanks in advance[/quote]

make your next goal 300, then go from there…

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
Where do you train?

[/quote]

You need to go where the powerlifters are and learn. I never realized how fortunate I was that my early experiences in lifting was powerlifting. I did a six week workshop/program my freshman year at high school run by Ted Arcidi, and the only gym in a 25 mile radius from where I lived was a local powerlifting mecca.

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
gone heavy wrote:
Where do you train?

You need to go where the powerlifters are and learn. I never realized how fortunate I was that my early experiences in lifting was powerlifting. I did a six week workshop/program my freshman year at high school run by Ted Arcidi, and the only gym in a 25 mile radius from where I lived was a local powerlifting mecca. [/quote]

X10

Surround yourself with people who’ve been where you want to go.

Set goals of 2 - 3x your body weight in the squat and 1.5 - 2 x your body weight in bench.

Woah danjo, fortunate is not the word!

Sailortom: Don’t forget setting goals for squat and deadlift, and have patience, it will all come in due time. The old cliche of there being no shortcuts is true as hell.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
Where do you train?

Straps aren’t allowed in comps.[/quote]

i train on base, so i do not really get around ony powerlifters. every once in a while we might get one in their for a while, but its a technical training command so they usually are not here very long. i have no way of training off of base, i have no car so i make due with what i have, which is better than most gyms.

to my understanding straps were allowed in comps, but without straps im only pulling 365, i really wanna change that.

[quote]Tags wrote:
sailortom wrote:
my bench is 280,

any suggestions woud be helpful my goal is a 400 bench. thanks in advance

make your next goal 300, then go from there…[/quote]

well yeah i do, 400 is what i want but to get their i set small stepping stones along the way. i know that if i continue training i will eventually get to where i want to be

[quote]sailortom wrote:
gone heavy wrote:
Where do you train?

Straps aren’t allowed in comps.

i train on base, so i do not really get around ony powerlifters. every once in a while we might get one in their for a while, but its a technical training command so they usually are not here very long. i have no way of training off of base, i have no car so i make due with what i have, which is better than most gyms.

to my understanding straps were allowed in comps, but without straps im only pulling 365, i really wanna change that.[/quote]

Some strongman events allow them, I’m pretty sure no powerlifing feds do.

hate to go off topic, but hows lifting in the military? Im joinin the marines after high school, and wanna keep up with my lifting.

Use chalk. Works perfect and costs next to nothing.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
hate to go off topic, but hows lifting in the military? Im joinin the marines after high school, and wanna keep up with my lifting.[/quote]

im in the navy so after boot camp for us its not bad at all, i live on base with marines, and to be honest with you in your mos school you will not really have the time to lift. in the navy we get alot more free time, mostly because of your PT which you will lose alot of strength in boot camp man. i commend you for wanting to serve our country, OOH-RAHH!

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
Use chalk. Works perfect and costs next to nothing.[/quote]

i would use chalk, but the gym on base does not allow chalk it BS

[quote]daraz wrote:
Woah danjo, fortunate is not the word!
[/quote]

Did I mention Ted Arcidi’s dad was my orthodontist too? lol

Very nice family.

[quote]sailortom wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:

i would use chalk, but the gym on base does not allow chalk it BS[/quote]

Could you try liquid chalk? My gym doesn’t have a policy on it, so I use a chalk ball and just clean up after myself so no one complains.

Read some Jack Reape articles, especially “Back off and Grow”:

and check out the Wendler 5/3/1 thread

[quote]sailortom wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:

i would use chalk, but the gym on base does not allow chalk it BS[/quote]

Wow, that sucks and blows dude. I saw someone talk about the liquid chalk underneath me so you shold check into getting that. Its like 6 bucks on the inzer site and i doubt anyone could even detect it.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
sailortom wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:

i would use chalk, but the gym on base does not allow chalk it BS

Wow, that sucks and blows dude. I saw someone talk about the liquid chalk underneath me so you shold check into getting that. Its like 6 bucks on the inzer site and i doubt anyone could even detect it.[/quote]

i will man thanks alot its BS that they dont allow it i never seen a gym that does not allow it