Powerlifting/Strongman Money

I was just wondering if their are purses at powerlifting and strongman competitions. Are there sponsors and/or companies that pay for these top level competitors. In bodybuilding. I think, there are money prizes in the bigger events, but does this hold true for powerlifting and strongman as well?

As far as powerlifting goes, the WPO awards prize money for the PRO division. It’s not all that much though.

Strongman usually awards trophies for the more local contest. You might see some green at a regional or national event.

If your in it to win it, your set. If your thinking you can earn some serious money doing either, keep thinking.

WPO pays out prize money to the top 3 or 4 at the big contests. At the full meet, I think Garry Frank got around $8500 last year.

Bench America payed $10K to the winner last year.

There are a few contest around the nation that will pay money to est lifter, or highest squat, etc. Usually $500-$1000 at best.

Some of the top-level strongman comps pay some $, maybe $1000 to the winner. WSM pays like $30,000-$50,000 to the winner. I think the Arnold Classic Strongman event pays cash plus a Hummer to the winner.

To win $$ at any of these things, you have to be absolutely the best.

I made a whopping $4000 in 2004 from powerlifting. After figuring in airfare, hotels, etc., I spent about $6000 in expenses last year, so my net was -$2000 as a professional bencher.

If you are looking to actually make money, it definitely is not in powerlifting.

It’s not about the money.

I know it’s not about the money. I don’t even compete in either sport. I was just reading an article online discussing pro bodybuilders income, and I was thinking if the same held true for powerlifting and strongman. I know that in my sport, MMA, I do it for the pure fun. If I ever get paid great if I don’t fine by me. I’m sure it is the same with you all and powerlifting.

Like every other sport out there throughout history If the money gets better so does the competition. Money is a motivator. There are alot of guys and gals out there who can do what we do but just see no point. I love the iron as do most on this board. There are those out there who would do whatever it takes to take home a prizecheck.

Some strongmans I’ve been to pay out cash prizes, but its mostly been just enough to cover entry fee and dinner. I really don’t care about the money, just the trophy, plaque, medal, cert., that says I was the best.

Now on the flip side if you are THE BEST there is a good deal of money to be made by winning contests, being best lifter, and having contracts out the wazoo. But you only see guys like Scott Mendy and Garry Frank have so many contracts they dont know what to do with em.