Powerlifting + Strongman = Better Athlete? (and How)

In sets? or just until I’ve done all of them?

I’ve never met someone who worked so hard at getting in shape with plans to join the military who didn’t have any boxing/wrestling/martial arts in the mix of their training. I’m a little puzzled.

Do them till you puke, then do them in your puke.

Not joking.

1 Like

If you need motivation go down to your local base between 0530 and 0700 for morning PT and ask yourself, "do I want to be in the back of the pack getting screamed at by the Senior NCO’s. BAHAHAHA

I saw you mentioned you watch Alan Thrall’s YouTube channel. He actually just put up a good video about this sort of thing if you haven’t seen it.

What video is that?

Here is my last suggestion since this thread is a complete run around

Do: Built like a Badass by Joe Defranco. Just extend the one mile run to 2 or 3 and incorporate Indian runs

You get better at pushups, situps, pullups, and running by doing just that. Timed: Max reps in a minute or 2 minutes depending on service and country. Run, u need to look at the requirements

IF you dont want to go into the military do whatever the heck you want. Just enjoy it.

If your run sucks do the couch to 5k program. Thats 3 miles.

Not ex-military myself (but one of my best friends went through Marine OCS, and I like a lot of usmc’s posts so I think I pretty much qualify, right?)

Anyways, these replies…

…ought to be set such that ANY TIME someone starts a thread about training for (military unit) here, they appear.

It’s incredible how many times these threads are “So if I just keep doing 5/3/1 but start running a timed mile once a week, I should be good?” This was a terrific post:

…and somehow OP missed the boat and said “What would that achieve?”

4 Likes

Thanks! I actually got a little frustrated and stopped replying at that point. I get that the military is a young person’s game, so it will be kids that are joining, but I feel like it’s ok to expect a level of maturity that at least recognizes experience. USMC’s screen name leaves little doubt to his background, for instance.

I’m honestly glad Al Gore had not yet invented the Internet when I was coming up. We had to just ask coaches (because we all played sports) or someone’s dad who was a veteran what they would do. It also felt way too silly to ask, in real life, “my run isn’t very good, so how many days a week should I bench press?” It kind of forced you to just start doing things.

If OP happens to read this, there is no shame in not being right about something you haven’t done. When I left the Army, I was trying to break into an industry that my wife’s friend had been successful in for years. She gave me some advice on interviewing all the way through how to conduct my first 6 months. I didn’t think “well I should do this;” I just did what she said, and, over the course of months, it made sense to me why. When you read this about someone else, it makes so much sense you think “of course, no kidding,” but it’s hard for all of us to actually apply this ourselves for some reason.

Dude, if ANYBODY reads this they should think this way.

1 Like