T Nation

Powerlifting/Strength/'Cut'

First of all hi T Nation!

I guess I’m looking for a bit of advice or reasurance regarding my next 6 months of training.

I’ve decided to start Powerlifting competitively (I’ve never done anything like this before) after all my gym mates and trainers have talked me into it and they think I’ve got great potential.

After a bit research and talking to a couple of guys that compete I’ve decided to run ‘Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 Powerlifting style’ programme and I’m really excited to start.
However after lifting and eating, my bodyfat % has just got to the stage where I could do with about 1 months worth of dieting (I’m probably about 18%)

Why question is :

Because this programme is based on percentages of 1RMs will my strength be increasing if I’m in a slight caloric deficit for ashort time? The way i see it, After about a month my strength will probably plateau and by this time I should of lost enough fat too feel comfortable and happy again, so calories can resume high.
I will be including 15-20 mins low impact cardio on OHP and Bench day and Hill sprints on deload week.

Does this sound reasonable? Thank you :slight_smile:

If your interested in current stats :
5ft 8
82kg
20 years old
Deadlift - 180
Squat - 142.5
OHP - 70 lol
Bench - 95 lol

So you want to compete in powerlifting, you’re not very strong to start with, and your plan of attack is to cut calories and weight? This does not sound reasonable at all.

Im from the UK so these weights are in KG

Deadlift 400
Squat 320
OHP 154
Be ch 210

From what everyone has said I have a decent base.

[quote]Masochist wrote:
Im from the UK so these weights are in KG

Deadlift 400
Squat 320
OHP 154
Be ch 210

From what everyone has said I have a decent base.

[/quote]

Yes, I get that. I didn’t think you weighed 82 pounds. It’s a base, your goal should be getting stronger. Get strong first if you want to compete in powerlifting, worry about cutting weight after you’re strong.

Fair comment. Thanks for the reply.

[quote]Masochist wrote:
Fair comment. Thanks for the reply. [/quote]

I agree with rock to an extent, but don’t be one of those PLers who just eats everything and anything in sight to “get calories in bro.” There are weight classes in PLing for a reason. Weigh whatever the fuck you want to weigh. You’ll mostly be competing against your past PR’s in powerlifting, but it’s fun to lift against some competition in meets, too. So compete agains the people in similar weight class.

As a powerlifter, your first priority is strength, but that doesn’t mean all of your other priorities go out the window. Stay healthy (do your mobility and recovery work), don’t get sloppy as shit in the name of strength (watch your diet), and follow a good training program (there are quite a few successful ones. Just pick one and stick to it.)

And your numbers aren’t even all that bad for what I see at some meets. Not to mention, you’ll be stronger by the time of your first meet. Good luck, man. PL’s pretty cool.

[quote]Masochist wrote:
Because this programme is based on percentages of 1RMs will my strength be increasing if I’m in a slight caloric deficit for ashort time? The way i see it, After about a month my strength will probably plateau and by this time I should of lost enough fat too feel comfortable and happy again, so calories can resume high.
I will be including 15-20 mins low impact cardio on OHP and Bench day and Hill sprints on deload week.

Does this sound reasonable? Thank you :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Just based on your current strength level, it’s not unreasonable to think you could continue to get stronger for months while on a small-ish caloric deficit, albeit at a slower rate than you would if you were eating more. So, yes, it’s very reasonable, but you won’t know what’s possible for you until you give it a try.