Powerlifting Specialization

CT,

I’ve adapted the overhead pressing template to the bench press during the first spec phase and I intend to do the same during the squat/deadlift phase in 4-5 weeks. The first spec split is:

Day 1, 3, 5
Bench (adapted from template)
Day 2
Deadlift
Day 4
Squat

The second spec phase will be:
Day 1, 3, 5
Squat/Deadlift (alternating workouts)
Day 2
Bench
Day 4
Overhead Pressing

Without giving specific exercises, can you suggest the best way to fit in accessory movements? For example, during the bench phase I’ve been finishing workout 1 with DB rows, workout 3 with face pulls, and workout 5 with skull crushers. I’ve noticed that accessory work during the maintenance workouts leads to burnout so I stick to an activation exercise followed by a single movement (occasionally double ramped).

Is the set up I’m using sound or would you suggest something else?

Thank you.

tyler

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

All you really posted was the basic template for a 5 day a week spec routine, 3 days spec 2 days maintenance. Not sure what you’re really asking here but it seems like you know what you want to do so just do it and make changes in the future based on your reactions to what you do.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
All you really posted was the basic template for a 5 day a week spec routine, 3 days spec 2 days maintenance. Not sure what you’re really asking here but it seems like you know what you want to do so just do it and make changes in the future based on your reactions to what you do.[/quote]

X2

I would only undertake this type of powerlifting-specific training if you already have a solid base of balanced muscular development, but that’s just my opinion.

Do you compete or are you trying to compete in the sport of powerlifting?

My only question is where to place the accesssory work. I dropped all accessory work for maintenance lifts because it was too taxing and I’m noticing that the pulling work after day 1 and 3 is starting to take its toll. I’m contemplating doing all accessory work on Friday (day 5) since day 6 and 7 are off. I currently only do triceps work on day 5.

Thoughts?

I agree about avoiding specialization until after a base is developed. I only switched to this type of training when I realized I was getting strong enough that it was tough to recover from training everything hard. And still, most of my training is still balanced training, with spec phases mixed in depending on perceived weaknesses and dependent on what events a particular contest (strongman) has. If you were bodybuilding it might be another story, but…

That said, as far as accessory work, I’m not CT obviously, but I’ll try to answer your question now that you’ve articulated it.

You’ve already mentioned that you dropped the accessory work for maintenance lifts. I either drop or seriously cut back on this as well. As for accessory work for the spec lifts, I don’t think you need it. I assume by “OH Template” you are refering to the routine CT posted when I asked about how to set up a spec routine with blast isos for the OH. If this is the case, look at how much pressing is included in that workout, 3-4 OH exercises. Do you really think you NEED to do extra tricep excercise after that much pressing?

Every muscle that is being specialized will be hit hard with the compound move, every muscle that isn’t, can probably be considered to be on maintenance.