T Nation

Powerlifting Routines

Question - I do a basic whole body 3x / week program, in a 4 week wave (heavy, medium, very heavy, light) for the main lifts (Squat and Bench focus). Most advice I have read suggests keeping the back-off or light week in sync. Recently I’ve been trying a stagger where the very heavy squat is a light bench week, etc. It seems to be helping my overall recovery and I’m making decent gains. Anyone else have experience or advice for either approach?

Yeah the 4th week taper is a good idea. Cutting the weight and sets by around 60% has been suggested by many leading coaches and from my personal experience it sets you up for pb’s in week five or rejuvinates you for the start of a new cycle in week five.

Either way, if you have done 3 weeks of tough training, week 5 will be good, if you sensibly taper in week 4

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:
Yeah the 4th week taper is a good idea. Cutting the weight and sets by around 60% has been suggested by many leading coaches and from my personal experience it sets you up for pb’s in week five or rejuvinates you for the start of a new cycle in week five.

Either way, if you have done 3 weeks of tough training, week 5 will be good, if you sensibly taper in week 4[/quote]
I agree.A Master lifter has a window of 4 to 6 weeks.The week you taper allows you to recover and still peak with your strenght the following week.

Thanks guys for the responses, but I guess I didn’t make my question clear enough. The value of the taper workout I get, my question is can I stagger the max effort bench and squat weeks so that the “very heavy” squat and bench are not the same week? I find it hard to mentally and physically go for PR’s twice in one week, on the squat and bench. By staggering, I am going for a PR every other week, which seems to be easier to manage.

[quote]inderhga wrote:
Thanks guys for the responses, but I guess I didn’t make my question clear enough. The value of the taper workout I get, my question is can I stagger the max effort bench and squat weeks so that the “very heavy” squat and bench are not the same week? I find it hard to mentally and physically go for PR’s twice in one week, on the squat and bench. By staggering, I am going for a PR every other week, which seems to be easier to manage.[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea to me. It means you would only have to get really in your zone once a week not twice…mentally that should prove less stressful

[quote]inderhga wrote:
Thanks guys for the responses, but I guess I didn’t make my question clear enough. The value of the taper workout I get, my question is can I stagger the max effort bench and squat weeks so that the “very heavy” squat and bench are not the same week? I find it hard to mentally and physically go for PR’s twice in one week, on the squat and bench. By staggering, I am going for a PR every other week, which seems to be easier to manage.[/quote]
Yes.Switching the max effort between the two lifts will work.You will level off with the PR’s and settle into heavy and light load training.Best of training to you! TRAIN HARD! Jimmy T