Powerlifting Routine HELP!?!

I’m 15yrs old and 8 months ago I discovered powerlifting , I instantly fell in Love with the sport since then I’ve been training like all hell to get my lifts up . I haven’t competed in a meet yet but have established a few things I will be a Strict lifetime drug free Raw lifter, and I am obsessed with the deadlift.

My Lifetime Goal is to become the worlds top drug free Raw Dead lifter (crazy I know) If you can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated! 1. best programing for me keeping in mind my goal
2. nutrition and diet
3. General powerlifting advise
4. What is the men’s Drug free Raw deadlift record
5. Comments / Questions
6. Best federations for Raw Drug Free

My Personal Records:
5"10 181 lbs.
220 lbs. Bench Press @ 165 lbs.
345 lbs. Squat @ 181 lbs.
370 lbs. Deadlift @ 181 lbs.
940 lbs. Total

According to powerliftingwatch the Raw Drug Tested Deadlift World Record is 766 by Ed Coan (181 lbs) in 1984. His federationg was the IPF. Dave Ricks has the 165 weight class record of 672 in 1990 for the IPF. Hope this helps.

thanks do you have any suggestions on work outs ?

Lots of ridiculously strong guys here use 5/3/1.
I use it too.

Wait…you’re 15?!

Those are some strong numbers.

I think I benched 205 and deadlifted 225 @ 140 or so when I was 15 but I was only about 5’ tall.
My school gym didn’t even have a squat rack, just some contraption called a “leaper”.

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
I use it too.

Wait…you’re 15?!

I think I benched 205 and deadlifted 225 @ 140 or so when I was 15 but I was only about 5’ tall.
My school gym didn’t even have a squat rack, just some contraption called a “leaper”. [/quote]
What are your current PRs ? just wondering what kind of gains and how fast will the progress will be if I do the 5/3/1

At this point, even with the deadlift being your primary long-term goal, you need to be focused on building a solid base and bringing up all 3 lifts.

Find a program that has you doing the big 3 often. The most important thing is to drill your technique and form. You want to keep progressing and adding pounds to the bar (same with anyone in powerlifting), but at this age you should come across gains pretty easily anyways. Find a lifting partner or someone who knows their stuff and is willing to help you out a bit, and always keep a critical eye to how you can improve your technique and form in each. This should be done at any age, but when you’re young and just starting out it’s crucial to develop good form (fixing something that’s engrained later is much harder).

As for which program, I’d avoid 5-3-1 at this point if I were you. You can’t really go wrong with something that has you doing the big 3 + MP so often, but at this point a much simpler progressive overload will work just fine. Check out Stronglifts 5x5.

[quote]Beast5452 wrote:

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
I use it too.

Wait…you’re 15?!

My school gym didn’t even have a squat rack, just some contraption called a “leaper”. [/quote]
What are your current PRs ? just wondering what kind of gains and how fast will the progress will be if I do the 5/3/1[/quote]

I was 15 about 18 years ago so I’ve gone through some peaks and valleys as far as strength and size go, I never really achieved anything spectacular. My best ever deadlift and squat happened when I was 20 or 21 and weighed 220+. The dead was 495 with straps and the squat was 385. My best pound for pound bench was at the age of 25, I weighed 175 and I put up 340 for a single. My best pull at the time was 415 and I think my squat was 340. Then at 29 (after marriage and kids) I weighed about 220 and benched 350 for a single, no more heavy squats or deads due to knee issues and pansyism brought on by every-day-is-upper-body-day broism.

Currently:
bw = 186
Bench = 290 x 3
Squat = embarrassing
OHP = 165 x 8
Deadlift = 295 x 10 (slightly less embarrassing than the squat)

Edited to echo what others have said; I agree, you should become a student of every lift. Analyze and practice proper technique down to the most minute detail.

Honestly, if I were you I would find out who other young athletes are and try to get into contact with them. Or lifters who are older now but became strong at a fairly young age. Maybe even see if there is a strong gym in your area where you can train.

And don’t injure yourself. That doesn’t mean make excuses not to go heavy tho

[quote]Beast5452 wrote:
I’m 15yrs old and 8 months ago I discovered powerlifting , I instantly fell in Love with the sport since then I’ve been training like all hell to get my lifts up . I haven’t competed in a meet yet but have established a few things I will be a Strict lifetime drug free Raw lifter, and I am obsessed with the deadlift.

My Lifetime Goal is to become the worlds top drug free Raw Dead lifter (crazy I know) If you can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated! 1. best programing for me keeping in mind my goal
2. nutrition and diet
3. General powerlifting advise
4. What is the men’s Drug free Raw deadlift record
5. Comments / Questions
6. Best federations for Raw Drug Free

My Personal Records:
5"10 181 lbs.
220 lbs. Bench Press @ 165 lbs.
345 lbs. Squat @ 181 lbs.
370 lbs. Deadlift @ 181 lbs.
940 lbs. Total
[/quote]

I’ll try and answer the questions you posed this time instead of just rambling on:

1. As said above, I think SL 5x5 is great for someone young and getting started. Anything that is straight-forward and has you doing plenty of work with a barbell on your back or in your hands.

2. Eat a lot. Eat stuff that you can hunt, fish, gather, farm etc. This should keep you on a good path to getting in plenty of protein, healthy fats, greens and carbs. You’re a growing boy and lifting, so again, eat a lot.

3. Echo what others have said, find a good person or people to lift with. Constantly drill your form and technique and hopefully your partners are knowledgable and willing to critique you. There’s so much to learn both in terms of technique and programming, so always try to learn more and keep an open mind to what more experienced people have to say.

4. Magnusson pulled 1015 raw. Seriouspowerlifting has this listed as drug tested but I wasn’t positive on that.

5. Welcome. People here are very helpful for the most part so don’t be afraid to ask questions or post vids asking for help with your form and technique.

6. Don’t worry so much about which feds are best on a national/int’l level and who is drug testing at this point. It’s so dispersed that it really varies based on your location. Find a fed that puts on a decent number of events with good attendance in your region (powerliftingwatch is a good tool for this). Whatever the fed, the people at the meets are going to be very helpful and have a wealth of knowledge, drug tested or not.

Train for strong singles not a 10RM, train each lift more than once per week, always focus on full body tension and holding your air during a lift, and, most of all, remember:
When people talk about hard work, the tendency is to assume that they mean putting in effort. This is not true. Hard work is not being distracted or discouraged by psychological bullshit. It is doing what is, in its nature, contradictory to your goals for the sake of the long term.

Every commited lifter can and absolutely should put in full effort during every session… But what separates most from the dominant is the lack of the less obvious “hard work” in sustained focus and inability to be ‘ended’ or distracted in the pursuit of their goal.
Good luck. You don’t need it.

Read a bunch of articles by this guy…