T Nation

Powerlifting Routine for Intermediate Lifter

I made my new training routine, based on experience and reading stuff here and there.

Day 1: Monday

Bench Press

Close Grip Bench Press (assistance)

Speed Squat

Good Morning (assistance)

Day 2: Wednesday (Tuesday wrongly)

Deadlift

Barbell Row

Cable Row

Dumbell Curl / some other minor assistance

Day 3: Friday

Squat

Speed Bench

Rack Lockout (assistance)

Lying & Seating Tricep Extensions (Assistance)

So basically this is it. I have thought to put some speed deads, but after all I have no spot in the routine, where I can place them, can train only 3 times a week, someone here?

The reps and the sets... I am think of 8x3 (later 6x3, 3x3 and so...) on the powerlifts and 2-3x5-6 on the compound assistance work and 2-3x10 on the isolated assistance. What are you thinking about this? Am I on straight way, or I am doing it wrong something?

About my eating and recovering. It's good, i eat well, sleep well and rest all day long. :slightly_smiling:

PLEASE!!! do not just watch over this and skip to the next. I know that most of you are very experienced and good lifters, so write a comment if u have to say something that can help me really. I appreciate this. Thanks!

I personally don't think it's great. If you can only train on those days, I think it would make more sense to hit one lift on Monday along with all the supporting muscle groups, do the same on Tuesday for the other lift and then on Friday do a combo workout to hit all the muscle groups again.

The way you have things laid out, how are you going to do goodmornings on Monday and then deadlift on Tuesday?

For example:
Monday
Bench
triceps
delts
lats/upper back

Tuesday
squat/deadlift
lower back
hamstrings
quads

Friday
hit all supporting muscle groups
Maybe rotate speed work from week to week for bench/squat

Abs you can do to some extent every day at home at nighttime or something.

I'm not fond of the exercises you've chosen for assistance...cable rows and dumbbell curls?
I'm not the greatest of benchers by any measure but I'd think you'd want to look at going heavy on the flat bench with different grips, close/extra wide. Floor presses, if you've got access to a cambered bar you can do a one board under the camber. If you compete equipped you're going to want to make friends with boards.
Despite what the T-Nation articles say about overhead presses I think they have a good place in bench strength. For the deadlift/squat goodmornings work well for some folks, I like SLDL's with or without boxes, pull throughs are good, hyper-extensions, if you've got access to a glute-ham raise you can do those or you can go hardcore on a mat and have someone stand on your feet and perform the movement. Zercher squats are insanely useful as are front squats for most folks.

I hope that some of what I have written is helpful to you to some extent.

I said Tuesday? My wrong. i mean Monday, Wendesday and Friday, so stick to your program or continue with mine and add/change some more assistance ? And thanks for the quick response!

maybe some others have opinions but I still stick to what I suggested. If you're training the GM hard on Monday, I don't think you're going to be prepared to deadlift heavy on Wednesday...however; you could hit the bench on monday, the squat/deadlift on tuesday and friday you could do a combo of both...which would be lighter weights (speed work?)

That's a good idea also. I'll have to choose, some others have things in mind?

I'm a big proponent of WBC methods for the most part. I've personally incorporated some other elements into the mix that metal militia / shawn lattimer uses..

If you still feel you're getting a good benefit from speed work and you want to follow a standard WBC-style template, you could do a 4 week rotation. It would be a pain in the ass to keep track of but it works out on paper:

Week A
Monday: ME squat/deadlift
Wednesday: ME bench
Friday: DE squat / deadlift

Week B:
Monday: DE bench
Wednesday: ME squat/deadlift
Friday: ME bench

Week C:
Monday: DE squat
Wednesday: DE bench
Friday: ME squat

Week D:
Monday: ME bench
Wednesday: DE squat
Friday: DE bench

begin Week A again.

Reps, sets, volume, % of 1RM, assistance work, frequency? Be more specific, please.

on ME bench days do a lift that is similar to a bench press but not necessarily a flat bench press...i.e. close grip, wide grip, board press, floor press etc. you could even do an overhead press for a ME exercise. start light and work up to 1-3 reps at 90%+

Same goes for squat/deadlift days. Do something that correlates to the squat such as low box squat, high box squat, front squat, zercher squat, deadlift, extra wide deadlift, deadlift off box, deadlift off pins etc. work up to 1-3 reps at 90%+

rotate these exercises every 2-3 weeks if you've never done this sort of training before. i.e. week 1 ME bench say you do a 3 board press for 390, 395 and 400...next week shoot for 400 or 405. the subsequent week switch to a different exercise.

For DE / dynamic days you're using roughly 50% of your max. For the squat it's 8-12 sets of 2 reps. For the bench it's 8-12 sets of 3 reps changing your grip between close, medium and wide. Concentrate on speed.

Follow up the ME or DE work by hitting the supporting muscle groups using different rep schemes and exercises.

That's an old school Westside Barbell template in a nutshell. your body doesn't know when one week ends and the next one starts, so if you run that 4 week rotation as I specified you can follow this template. It's not as easy as squeezing everything into 1 week, but it will work if you want to make it work.

HTH
you can search for more information online.

Here's what I would do

Monday: ME squat variation
Speed squats or deads depending on how much you want to squat
assistance

Wednesday: ME Bench with DE as warmup
assistance

Friday: ME Deadlift
Speed deads or use them as warmup (6 singles) or squats again depends on what you want
assistance

If there is one thing to take from westside it is rotating the ME excercises. If your a raw guy I would always have your ending week in the cycle where you hit the actual lift instead of a variation. Rotate the ME as you feel either doing: 3 weeds with one variation then 4th week with the actual lift or do a variation a week hitting the main lift on week 4 and repeat the cycle continuing to hit prs. Best of luck.

Unstable, I applaud you for spoon feeding this guy but asking questions like this he isn't even trying.

Surjenj, Not to sound harsh but I don't think you know enough to be able to plan a WS template yourself and figure out the best assistance etc.

Your best bets is to pick something like 5/3/1 and do that. You can do 5/3/1 for 3 days a week and it is outlined in Jim's book.

Reps, percents, everything is in there and doesn't require much thinking.

$19.99 - http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2976

Don't worry, i know what i need to know, i just want to hear what others have to say and make my best. I did 5/3/1 eight months ago for some cycles and had good results, but i want to try something really worthy and hard (different for my region) now that i didn't seriously, i think i am ready.

P.S. Thanks for your opinion guys.

No offense but you should take a hard look at what you wrote here...you did 5/3/1, had good results, but want to do something "worthy and hard"!? Why do you lift weights? To improve and get stronger or to do something hard? If you want to do something hard...set a goal that will take you a year to reach and get it.

@sie,

was just trying to help. When I first started out, I was fortunate enough to have world champion powerlifters helping me along the way...as such, I just do my best to pay it forward however I can...and it also causes me to have some mixed feelings on the commercial aspect of things.

Ultimately I think that most guys will gravitate towards a self-regulating training regime. It's cool to have everything spelled out for you when you first start, and there are some redeeming qualities in almost any training regime, but not everything in one method of training is effective for everyone...so over the years you start picking up on what works, what doesn't and what you should focus on the most...

Why even make your own program? How have you determined that you are an intermediate lifter?

It seems like you don't want to do 5/3/1, which is fine, neither do I. Check out some other options. There are plenty other time tested programs that will best suit your needs. It looks to me like you want to lift heavy weights and do dynamic work, so, do Westside. I don't really understand why no one ever suggests this on here.

Yes, that's it. I'll try out Westside methods. Thanks.

@stormthebeach

Just have some experience, been lifting seriously for two years and got some good PR's (that need to be improved) for my weight. Not feeling (and looking) like a beginner.

I understand, I have twice today replied to his post (the one after mine) posting links and information but for whatever sodding reason they have never appeared.

Maybe not allowed to post links??..

Hmm...

Google these then.

westside-barbell-679575.html
working with the standard westside template wendler
The-Standard-Westside-Template sugdenbarbell

This...in two years I highly doubt you know enough to make your own program effectively.

A basic west-side template may work well for you.

If you do not have significant muscle mass, try substituting repetition method for the dynamic method for a few months, and go back and forth.

West-side for skinny bastards has done that pretty well.

What are your stats?

Juggernaut method

x2.

Nah, i don't think so, just going to add some more good mornings in the squat speed day to work out more the hamstrings, i think they're my only weak point compared to my other muscles used in the squat and deadlift. :slight_smile: